Daddy's Jeep gettin' some love.

bldeagle10

Explorer
beautiful, i like how it matches the plastics (flares and side trim)
where did you stumble upon that sticker? i could use another 2 mpg ;)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
beautiful, i like how it matches the plastics (flares and side trim)
where did you stumble upon that sticker? i could use another 2 mpg ;)

Thanks! Got the sticker with my Overland Journal. I forget which issue came with one...I'm sure if you asked Scott or the Hanson's, you'd find one in your mailbox soon enough (might cost a teeny bit, but it's worth it for the gas savings. :D)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Well, I think I've got a decision to make. Not only are my rear brakes acting like they need to be serviced, I'm getting a nice whine when I get on the gas, that leaves when I let off. (pinion bearings?) Gonna do some more diagnosing in the next week or two, but I kinda wish:

A. I had kept the 8.25 axle I had last year (possibly had a bent axle flange, didn't want to deal with it.)
B. I hadn't needed to get my rear shaft rebuilt when I did..lol. (The 8.25 axle has a longer pinion/yoke and therefore a shorter shaft.)

Good news is that I do, in fact, have a 8.25 driveshaft in my garage that is complete. I don't know what those ujoints have on them as far as mileage, but I'd think it's easy enough to ascertain. I'll probably just swap'em out for good measure.

Rebuild 8.25 shaft .... $50.00
Source 27 or 29 spline 8.25 axle ....$100.00 maybe, in good shape.
new u-bolts...... $50-75.00
new rear brake line.... $20.00 (YJ part number)

So about $250.00 or so to upgrade to a bombproof axle...or spend $$ on my D35 that has given me nothing but reliable service...

hmmm...

Cards81fan

Osage Hilltopper
BIGdaddy,

Did you ever get an antenna for your CB? If not, I have a Wilson Fiberglass ("Silverload") I could make you a deal on... like, the cost of shipping from OK type of deal :)

I went to a Little Wil when I got my Jeep, so this has been unused for quite some time. It is black, I think 3 foot, and it is missing the rubber cap that goes over the tunable tip.

Though it is probably as cheap to buy a new one than it would be to ship this, I thought I would make the offer.

Best Regards,

-Kasey

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
So about $250.00 or so to upgrade to a bombproof axle...or spend $$ on my D35 that has given me nothing but reliable service...

hmmm...

I'd say upgrade to the 8.25. Dana 35s aren't bad axles as long as you don't punish them too much, but the 8.25 is the next step better so you might as well go for it.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
If it(Dana 35) ain't broke don't fix it. But if it is broke or breaking then go for the 8.25 rearend. Especially if you plan on loading the Jeep down and towing at the same time. The 35 was marginal at best but you work them much and they go breaky.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
BIGdaddy,

Did you ever get an antenna for your CB? If not, I have a Wilson Fiberglass ("Silverload") I could make you a deal on... like, the cost of shipping from OK type of deal :)

I went to a Little Wil when I got my Jeep, so this has been unused for quite some time. It is black, I think 3 foot, and it is missing the rubber cap that goes over the tunable tip.

Though it is probably as cheap to buy a new one than it would be to ship this, I thought I would make the offer.

Best Regards,

-Kasey

I did, actually, but thank you so much for the offer. Much appreciated!

I have no idea of the brand of the one I got. It's the one that the guys @ HRO(Ham radio Outlet) here in San Diego carry. :)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
If it(Dana 35) ain't broke don't fix it. But if it is broke or breaking then go for the 8.25 rearend. Especially if you plan on loading the Jeep down and towing at the same time. The 35 was marginal at best but you work them much and they go breaky.

Yup, definitely just normal service stuff. I have had zero issues with it carrying all our gear on trips and locally towing our ute. trailer FULL of crap all over our property and over to the dump station.

My build is about creating a "super-stock" version of this vintage of XJ, though, so I might just get crazy and take this opportunity to solve a notorious weak point so that I never have to worry about it going "breaky" as you put it. :)

ExpoMike

Agreed with above, if you are not having issue with a D35, run it until you do. At that point swap it for a 8.25. Don't waste the money on the D35. I had a buddy who doesn't carry nearly the gear you will and is really easy on stuff and finally had the case start to spread apart causing the bearing to get out of spec and finally killed the carrier.

Find yourself an 8.25 in the right gear range and drop it in. :D

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Agreed with above, if you are not having issue with a D35, run it until you do. At that point swap it for a 8.25. Don't waste the money on the D35. I had a buddy who doesn't carry nearly the gear you will and is really easy on stuff and finally had the case start to spread apart causing the bearing to get out of spec and finally killed the carrier.

Find yourself an 8.25 in the right gear range and drop it in. :D

I thought about your post. So I guess the question I came up with, is what do you consider "having issues", and "wasting money" ?

My original post talked about likely needing bearing work, as well as definitely needing brake work.

Both are jobs that I'm not comfortable with, so I'd farm them out to a shop, most likely, just to get them done same day, and with a warranty. I've got 2 shops that could do just that.

That would probably be at least $250.00 in parts and labor.

Are you saying that these are just maintenence issues that wouldn't sway you from keeping the D35 at this point?

Or do you think I should spend that $250.00 on gathering what I need for a 8.25 swap, and just have it ready for when this axle is un-drivable?

Thanks, dude. I'm listening. :)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I'd say upgrade to the 8.25. Dana 35s aren't bad axles as long as you don't punish them too much, but the 8.25 is the next step better so you might as well go for it.

yeah, I don't wheel too hard at all. I've actually never blown a u-joint or axle in any of the trucks I've owned. (and only one hydraulicked motor. pretty good record! :D ). I love creeping in low range.

I do, in fact, load the crap out of this truck on a regular basis, though. Chock full of kids, food, camping gear, etc.

In talking to Mrs. Bigdaddy last night, she listened to the symptoms and after hearing the options wondered if there were any negatives to paying "less" money for an upgraded axle that would solve my existing issues, as well as make the truck more reliable from a strength standpoint.

I couldn't think of any other than having just put new u-joints in my D35 driveshaft. I haven't invested any $ in my D35.

ExpoMike

I thought about your post. So I guess the question I came up with, is what do you consider "having issues", and "wasting money" ?

My original post talked about likely needing bearing work, as well as definitely needing brake work.

Both are jobs that I'm not comfortable with, so I'd farm them out to a shop, most likely, just to get them done same day, and with a warranty. I've got 2 shops that could do just that.

That would probably be at least $250.00 in parts and labor.

Are you saying that these are just maintenence issues that wouldn't sway you from keeping the D35 at this point?

Or do you think I should spend that $250.00 on gathering what I need for a 8.25 swap, and just have it ready for when this axle is un-drivable?

Thanks, dude. I'm listening. :)

Sorry I missed this question. Doh!

Brakes are not axle related as everything has brakes so that is normal maintenence. Unless you buy a new axle (like I did), anything you get will likely need brakes replaced.

Other parts would be more specific to the needs of the axle. When you say bearing work, are you talking about the outer axle bearings or the carrier/pinion bearings? If outer bearing, I would do those with the brake work but if you are talking the center section bearing, that's when you really need to start thinking if its worth the money. Same with regearing or adding lockers. When you start messing with the center section, I would ditch the D35 and move up to a 8.25 or Ford 8.8 (with Super 8.8 kit).

When you figure the cost of doing anything in the center section is going to be the same with either axle, to me it doesn't make sense to throw money into a known problem axle. You could get a number of years of service or a few months. Many times you can move up to the stronger axle, finding it with the right gear set and not need to do anything.

It's kind of your call and I would make it based on what you need done. If everything is at the wheel end, $250 for maintenence items is not a bad way to go and gets you going quickly. If you need to touch the center, I would swap axles.

My .02 worth. Sorry for the late reply. :ylsmoke:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Sorry I missed this question. Doh!

Brakes are not axle related as everything has brakes so that is normal maintenence. Unless you buy a new axle (like I did), anything you get will likely need brakes replaced.

Other parts would be more specific to the needs of the axle. When you say bearing work, are you talking about the outer axle bearings or the carrier/pinion bearings? If outer bearing, I would do those with the brake work but if you are talking the center section bearing, that's when you really need to start thinking if its worth the money. Same with regearing or adding lockers. When you start messing with the center section, I would ditch the D35 and move up to a 8.25 or Ford 8.8 (with Super 8.8 kit).

When you figure the cost of doing anything in the center section is going to be the same with either axle, to me it doesn't make sense to throw money into a known problem axle. You could get a number of years of service or a few months. Many times you can move up to the stronger axle, finding it with the right gear set and not need to do anything.

It's kind of your call and I would make it based on what you need done. If everything is at the wheel end, $250 for maintenence items is not a bad way to go and gets you going quickly. If you need to touch the center, I would swap axles.

My .02 worth. Sorry for the late reply. :ylsmoke:

No problem, brohemian, I just wanted to make sure I was getting your point. :victory:

Thanks! I appreciate the insight.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Don't fix what ain't broke! I know the D35 gets a bad rap but I think it will serve its purpose just fine for you. They can be used off-road. I did everything you're not supposed to do with a D35 (4.88 gears and locked it) and it survived. I say, stop worrying about it. Take the money and use it somewhere else.

Of course, an 8.8 with disc brakes and an ARB sure would be nice!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Don't fix what ain't broke! I know the D35 gets a bad rap but I think it will serve its purpose just fine for you. They can be used off-road. I did everything you're not supposed to do with a D35 (4.88 gears and locked it) and it survived. I say, stop worrying about it. Take the money and use it somewhere else.

Of course, an 8.8 with disc brakes and an ARB sure would be nice!

lol.:ylsmoke: Don't get me wrong, I drive this we beastie everyday, and it drives fine overall.

It does have some pretty noticable symptoms, though, and I'm all about heading problems off at the pass. :)

(oh, and there's an 8.8 down the street for sale, btw. Other than figuring out driveshaft stuff, and setting pinion angles, I'd LOVE the beef and disc brakes it'd bring...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle