Daily Diesel - 1992 JDM Strada Quad Cab (resto-mod)

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Haven't been on here much lately. Keep hoping for a resurgence in "that other place" but time is moving on. Figured it was high time to document my new projects from the past year...

Time to play catch up...

In 2006 I imported my first JDM, a 91 Pajero 4D56 diesel. Replaced this in 08 with a 93 Pajero 4M40 diesel. This was finally sold in 2014 to buy a North American domestic market 2003 Montero, which my wife drove, while I daily drove a new Lancer (sportback), for fuel economy. Great car, but... missing something essential. sure, it had traction control, ABS, airbags from every orifice, but no real... SOUL? Early in 2016 I bought my ultimate dream vehicle (not hard to spot in my signature) and it made me realize how much I missed character in my daily driver. That brings me to the subject of this "build", although that may be a misnomer, since I tend to keep things pretty stock compared to many on here.

I decided that a small diesel was what my daily drive was missing. And I always loved the basic quad cab Mitsu's, so the search began for a 90's Strada. I didn't realize how difficult this would be to find. Its no exaggeration to say it was harder to find this truck than the Pajero Evolution that bears number 581 of 2500 ever produced. Why? Several reasons: the Japanese Domestic Market didn't have that many pickups to begin with. Compared to many of the vehicles over there, they are large, more difficult to maneuver, and can't carry as many people. The few I did find were clearly used for work, had hundreds of thousands of miles on them, and were completely beaten. Even then they were commanding a high price AND were sold quickly. I was told that the JDM pickups, almost regardless of condition, were snatched up very quickly at auction and exported to Africa and the Middle East, where life would go on for them. Great testament to their durability, but it made finding one almost impossible.

I'm no stranger to JDM auctions, but in the eight months I spent seriously looking, I saw maybe three that I'd have considered. At one point, an entire month passed with NO stradas at auction at all. The first I actually considered was a 1997 K74 chassis (picture a Montero Sport with short pickup box). It went out of my price limit, to the neighbourhood of 13k of my Canadian dollars. The next one was pulled before going up for auction. This is not uncommon, and the reasons vary. Finally, I saw one that had some plusses and some negatives. It was a K34 chassis 92 Strada R (think 4 door mighty max) so it came with all the factory options available for that model. It had 104k kms (~60k miles). It appeared to have NO body damage (rust, dents, dings, etc). BUT... the maroon paint had severe clear coat degradation, hood/roof. The interior looked to be in shambles. And did I mention it was "maroon"? Based on three pics, it was a tough call. Here is what I was able to see at that point...

(auction sheet indicated clear coat damage, and this truck had clearly been just washed, so the extent of damage was impossible to judge)
3Qhp0kfBLEq0btXPOrmlBmqS1hpcnnMCopu2wMg9LYg-3hMIpg0BFe7Xh53&w=320.jpeg

(looked great from the back)
3Qhp0kfBLEq0btXPOrmlBmqS1hpcnnMCAiOfB0rbRU8-3hMIpg0BFe7Xh53.jpeg

(what the hell had happened in here?)
3Qhp0kfBLEq0btXPOrmlBmqS1hpcnnMCqMWRWs6WZyD-3hMIpg0BFe7Xh53.jpeg

Based on these images, and an auction sheet that was scarce on details, I passed on it. It sold for a reasonable price the next day, and I wondered if I had let a good one get away. The search continued...

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
For bits look in Australia for an MJ Triton as well - that's what they were called here.

The Montero Sport is also called a PA/PAII Challenger, based on an MK Triton.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Yeah, the truck of many names, right? Mighty Max, D50, Strada, Triton, and L200.

So my search continued. Nothing came up for a few weeks after, when suddenly that maroon truck turned up at a popular reseller at the port of Kawasaki, with not that much mark up, and 38 pictures to peruse. Suddenly I had almost all the photographic evidence I needed for a decision. Despite the interior and the clearcoat damage, it appeared to be rust free, and mechanically sound.

Here's the original ad for the truck (for as long as the link lasts): http://www.beforward.jp/mitsubishi/strada/bf558965/id/679258/

This wasn't my first jdm purchase, sight unseen, and after having the original auction sheet translated, and making a few more inquiries, I had my importer make an offer, which was accepted, and suddenly, in late October, I had a truck! All I had to do was wait for it to be shipped to Vancouver, get through customs, and then get shipped to Edmonton, where I'd have it inspected and hopefully drive it home.

Finally, on December 12th we went to collect the new rig from my importers shop. It had passed it's rigorous inspection with NO DEFICIENCIES! Very uncommon for a vehicle of this age, and the inspector said he was impressed.

download_20161215_061530.jpg

Time to bring her home. From here, this thread will look at mods, fixes, maintenance etc, as life begins anew for this Japanese expat.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Sorry for the hijack - thought it added some value to the thread and conversation!

Oh absolutely! Appreciate the input. :victory: Just adding the other names from its repertoire. Actually the only real build threads I can find anywhere are from your neck of the woods, on Triton MH's and MJ's. I know this truck was sold throughout the world under various labels but finding English info is challenging.

Didn't know about the "PA" part of the Challenger name though. Learn something new everyday! :coffee:

Jeff V.

Observer
rattle&thump said:
I know this truck was sold throughout the world under various labels but finding English info is challenging.

Check out MightyRam50.net. The majority of the information is for the US variants, mostly the 2WD models because they were the most common here. But there's a few diesel swaps, and some 4x4 information. The bulk of the truck should be the same as the US versions. There's a few really knowledgeable guys on there. It's probably not everything you need, but hopefully it'll help.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Time for an update - as I showed in a previous pic (reattached for reference), the interior was a hopeless state.
3Qhp0kfBLEq0btXPOrmlBmqS1hpcnnMCqMWRWs6WZyD-3hMIpg0BFe7Xh53.jpeg
The factory seats have vinyl sides, and seem to wear quickly, regardless of mileage. On top of that, the PO was a smoker. So a serious gutting was in order. I started with the seats:

But first, the back story: a buddy of mine found a Pajero Evolution in a junkyard in northern Canada last summer. Yes, very sad. BUT... he went and pulled a pile of stuff for me, plus the Recaro seats for his own project. Well, you can imagine how this turned out. He agreed to let me have the seats too, when I showed him the sorry state of the truck I was buying. SO... my paj-evo came with Recaro's, and now I have the exact same ones in the Strada...
2017-01-01 15.25.37.jpg

They turned out to be very easy to install once I unbolted the risers (they bolt right to the factory tracks for the pickup).
2016-12-31 17.22.31.jpg

It is a little strange to be sitting in the exact same seat but in a totally different driving position between the two vehicles. In any event, this completely transformed the comfort level, esp with the adjustable thigh support. And the lateral bolsters means I no longer have to brace my knee against the door going around turns.
2017-01-28 17.49.27.jpg

Interior would get more attention but this was a good start...

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Check out MightyRam50.net. The majority of the information is for the US variants, mostly the 2WD models because they were the most common here. But there's a few diesel swaps, and some 4x4 information. The bulk of the truck should be the same as the US versions. There's a few really knowledgeable guys on there. It's probably not everything you need, but hopefully it'll help.

Definitely a help. Lots of info - much appreciated!

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Rented a commercial carpet/upholstery cleaner and did every soft surface after I pulled the seats...

Some befores and afters...

0dec500b3905b42b3c5fdc189b9adeea.jpg

15ec2b84765b3291e88f2590d370130b.jpg

35c1186c0ade038fd43473757428604d.jpg

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Continuing with interior work, the stock double guage was missing and replaced with some kind of tv/gps as is so common in jdm rigs.This is how it looked when I got it...
33d8d9951490c8eecd7aa2fd11573206.jpg

Here are the holes that were left after I lightened things up...

96574289e04ba2cf9bc0c8f60afc59d1.jpg

I "restored" the dash top by installing a gen1 Montero triple pod.

3f4905af98fdda4a494cb8fd51943b88.jpg

(More about the new deck in a future post -also need to replace that horrible brownish -gray center bezel!)

I'm going to pull one of the OE Montero guages to put in an EGT guage instead.

One more angle shows the EVO MOMO wheel that had been swapped in during its previous life in Japan.

32606802bebe73d9565b7ea4fcfc0e25.jpg

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jeff V.

Observer
That's looking really good. I'm especially jealous of the seats. Nice work!

Were there any complications attaching the Montero cluster? I'm surprised more people haven't done that with these trucks. I thought about doing it on mine, but the oil and battery gauges would be redundant with the ones in my main cluster.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Looking great Phil! how do you like the Recaro seats on long trips? My friend offered me a set for my '99 but I hear they are uncomfortable, I'll install them anyway but I was just curious.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
That's looking really good. I'm especially jealous of the seats. Nice work!

Were there any complications attaching the Montero cluster? I'm surprised more people haven't done that with these trucks. I thought about doing it on mine, but the oil and battery gauges would be redundant with the ones in my main cluster.

I'm pulling the oil gauge since the sender won't work with my diesel anyway. In place of that I'm thinking about a Plex multi-style gauge so I can display EGT and boost at the same time. The battery gauge will come in handy. My main cluster isn't as fancy as yours, only having fuel, speedo, tach and temp.

In terms of putting it in, mine had factory holes from the double cluster it was supposed to have from factory (similar to the early Delica's duo, if you've ever seen it, with altimeter etc). Since this one was wider, the holes didn't line up. Rather than drilling through the dash, I made a plate that bolted onto the two dash holes. Then I removed it, put nutserts in it to match the Montero triple and then bolted the plate back down, and then bolted the new setup over top. The dash top is accessible from underneath when the deck is removed, so I could've just drilled all new holes but this way seemed cleaner somehow.

In order to clear the back of the gauge pod, I removed the insert where you may have a clock. The new stereo has a clock, so no real loss, even if I'd had one, which I didn't. This also allowed an easy way to fish the wires through. I have pics somewhere of the plate, but unless you had factory dash holes, it wouldn't help anyways.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Looking great Phil! how do you like the Recaro seats on long trips? My friend offered me a set for my '99 but I hear they are uncomfortable, I'll install them anyway but I was just curious.

Thanks buddy! I have to tell you, these are some of the most comfortable seats I've ever had. Now they may be a little different from some of the VW style Recaros etc that are out there, since they were made for an SUV, but dude! Love em! Knew what they were like of course from the other rig, so when I had the chance for a second set, I jumped on em. Maybe if you were a big-healthy-super-size- me kinda dude they'd be tight, but my 185# fits em like a glove, and I have trouble getting jackets to fit across the shoulders. Adjustable side boltsters, adjustable recline (via a knob), fore/aft of course, and my favorite: pull out thigh support. SO nice on long trips. My daily drive is over an hour each way, and every day I sit aboard I am very happy.

Can't speak for all, but this series of Recaro makes this factory basic truck feel quite plush. You can try them in July (in the PajEvo) when we come down for MOD.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Still work to do on the inside, but i wanted to do some outside mods too... tried a test fit of my ARB tent and awning. Fits great up there and stills manages to clear the garage door, making it easy to hang the RTT on pulleys when not using it.

f55d991b9adcf6ed997440ea3e38a109.jpg

Just barely make out the pulley here...

0c84a4ccf9a13482b8dda381f0a625bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78