dakota bumpers (or lack there of)

frumpy

Explorer
I'm having trouble finding any after market bumpers for my 2002 dodge dakota. I figured there be at least a few but I can't find any. I'd prefer a prerunner style looking bumper with hitch receiver (for my receiver mounted winch) but at this point I guess I can't be too picky. Having one fabbed locally isn't really an option as there aren't any shops around me.

frumpy

Explorer
I'm not crazy about them, and for that price I think I'll keep looking or just leave it alone.

Perdue

Observer
Beware with TAG. That isn't a new company, but rather just a renamed one (the old name escapes me now). It's the same owner/management, but just under a different name...they ruined their name before with crappy service and extremely extended wait times. It seems the small handful that have ordered from them on Dakota-Durango have gotten their bumpers within a couple months, but I'd still be weary.

frumpy

Explorer
I thought there bumpers looked similar to a company I heard horror stories about... Guess they just renamed it.

So, any others?

frumpy

Explorer
I was looking at the light bar but I think it would be more useful/practical to buy a front hitch and weld some light tabs on it. The winch ready ones look nice but I don't really want a winch bumper as I want the ability to switch the winch around. Also, my dakota is 2wd and adding a ton of weight to the front will not help with winter driving.

frumpy

Explorer
I've seen those but not crazy about them. I really wish there was a decent 4x4 shop around here to build be what I want.

Perdue

Observer
It doesn't take a 4x4 shop, although it helps. There are machine shops and so forth everywhere that can do a lot of stuff like this, even if it isn't their normal thing. Or, you could always buy a 110v welder, cutoff tool/grinder, and a couple hundred worth of steel and do it yourself. Most 110v welders only do 1/8", but grinding your edges to an angle and making multiple passes will get you the weld penetration you need. You might spend just as much this way as compared to paying someone else labor, but you'll have a welder.

frumpy

Explorer
I have a brand new welder that I have not even set up yet (220v flux) the problem with building my own is for what I have in mind would be a lot of bent tube. If I saw one I liked thats all straight steel I might give it a shot this summer but this is my dd so I am a little concerned with looks.

Perdue

Observer
I'm in the same boat. I ended up buying a tubing bender with last year's tax return, but it's still in the box. Between buying a new truck, moving, two jobs, and still trying to enjoy life, I've had no time.

frumpy

Explorer
Thats my problem too, I got my welder after last Christmas then moved twice (including buying our first house), busy with work, winter and no garage, etc.

Cambo

Adventurer
A lot of times you can find an ARB bumper that has similar dimensions and then just have mounts made. That way you get a nice strong bumper and most likely for less money. Search Craigslist and take lots of measurements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger

Members online