"Damma Trucker" bike build for India: DONE!

FastGlass

Adventurer
Well, while waiting for the lift kit and driveshafts etc to drop ship for Rubi-Doo (build in signature), I finally got around to building out my expedition/grocery gettin' bicycle.
It's based off a Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker frameset...
Thankfully, due to all my accululated Amazon points, I could build this one out the way I dreamed it up!
2014-11-12 11.38.23.jpg

2014-11-12 11.36.00.jpg

2014-11-12 11.34.33.jpg

2014-11-12 11.31.54.jpg

2014-11-12 11.26.46.jpg

2014-11-12 11.24.39.jpg

2014-11-12 11.21.35.jpg

2014-11-12 11.19.12.jpg

2014-11-12 11.15.21.jpg

2014-11-12 11.45.22.jpg

Last edited:

FastGlass

Adventurer
Thanks! I just finished smoothing out the shifting and test fitted the Ortlieb bags. Bummer there'll be snow on the ground soon here....

FastGlass

Adventurer
Sweet bike! How do do you like the trekking/butterfly bars?
Thanks! The trekking bars are PERFECT for my use. There are obviously multiple options for grip, but more than that, around the town..sidewalks...weaving between people, obstacles and signage etc, my hands are well protected without the need for bar ends. It took me a while to track these down. They're an Italian company, Modolo, who no longer makes them. I found them finally on EBay, unused but overpriced...of course! :)
I wanted the exact contour for handholds and the width is about an inch shorter (again, in the city, loaded with groceries or gear, this is extremely advantageous) than similar offerings by Nashbar and REI's Navarro etc. The Brooks tape is overlaid on top of some 2.5mm Lizard Skins grip tape and the combo is very comfy. I also set up some Aerobars to be able to toss on there for the occaisional Rando and have a Voltaic 6W panel wired up with quick disconnect to the back Tubus rack to charge gizmos and batteries that the Luxos U headlamp system isn't charging off the Dyno hub already.
image.jpg

Last edited:

bluehash

Adventurer
Awesome! Came here from the Jeep tank green build.
Where will you be going? A cycle bell or whistle will come in handy to get people to move in crowded areas.

FastGlass

Adventurer
Awesome! Came here from the Jeep tank green build.
Where will you be going? A cycle bell or whistle will come in handy to get people to move in crowded areas.
I was hoping there were a few bike enthusiasts over there! The Itinerary currently includes a week at my inlaws in Annand, before her brother and I head east with our bikes (via a charter) to Bodh Gaya in Bihar for the start of a relatively short trek, though probably pretty laborious in those Himalayan foothills, to Sarnath. Then if time permits, a charter to either Nepal or Dharamsala. I'm semi retired now so time isn't an issue, but I'll miss my family too much to go much longer. The idea is a photography based trip...almost a scouting opportunity...and to go back for much longer in a year or two.

ober27

Adventurer
If you're willing to share your trip with us it would make for a great thread. I would love to see your photos, and hear of your experiences.
Thanks for the info on the bars. I've been considering a set for one of my bikes.

FastGlass

Adventurer
If you're willing to share your trip with us it would make for a great thread. I would love to see your photos, and hear of your experiences.
Thanks for the info on the bars. I've been considering a set for one of my bikes.
Definitely will do. I'm pretty excited for this trip. Angkor Wat as well as a few other places are on the agenda in the next few years too. The goal is to live off the bike on those trips also.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Great build! I like the SON hub and have considered adding one to my Big Dummy. I'm also digging those tires! This is very similar to how I envision my dummy in the end. Now we need some pics of it on the road.

enjoy.

FastGlass

Adventurer
Very nice. What did your weight end up being?

Hey Robert, just saw this...busy with other builds and the holiday :)
I really don't know what this weighs in at...not sure I want to! Ha!
I made sure to lighten/strengthen all components wherever I could, but between the frame set and the steel racks, I'm sure it weighs a "tad" more than my S-Works MTB!
I'll weigh it out over the next few days, sans bags and solar panel and post it up for Ya...

FastGlass

Adventurer
For anyone interested, we won't be traveling to India until November for Diwali festival. Lots of personal stuff happening here I can't put off...Moms cancer and closing/refinishing our dream vaca home on MV trumps all right now :(

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Well wishes to you and the family. I'm excited to see this bike in action, no matter where it goes!

Cheers

Butch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12