Dana 60 build

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
Yes I've been a post whore lately, but c'mon it's a Dana 60 build to be put under the rear of a Tacoma, I know it's no new concept but it's always cool...... to me any ways :sombrero:

So the build on this truck started about 2 years ago now, I can't really remember, anyway's, it's come along way since the day I saw a pile of parts on my friends garage floor and the look on his face, just wondering where and when do we start? With a little bit of help from his friends, Zach has really taken on this build and has done a great job building a stout rig. Hopefully this will be the last mod for a while cause he has way to much cool stuff on his rig and I'm jealous.:eek:

The 60 will be running:
5:38 Sierra gears
35 spline Moser chromoly axles
ARB locker
Timken bearings
Currie Ford Toreno 9" disc brake endcaps
Ford 8.8 rear disc brake conversion
Ruff Stuff diff cover

Here are some photo's:

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
The only thing that bugs me is ARB's solution to fitting there air line into the carrier. Having to basically cut a groove through half of the bearing cap in turn creating a place of possible failure. We tried every thing to not have to actually groove all the way through but no luck, we had to stay with ARB's solution. My personal choice over ARB is OX lockers.

Last edited:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Dana 60 huh? Probably would hold up well for my 31's.

:D

Thanks for the RTT idea, I think I will go down stairs and stare at my mill and lathe until I come up with an idea for a quick disconnect set-up.

~James

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
Well the 60 is ready to be installed, that will begin tomorrow and I might change the brake line routing a little bit.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
attachment.php

Holy axle shafts batman.

That thing cleaned up nice for sure, what are you going to do with the old axle?

~James

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
stumptaco said:
attachment.php

Holy axle shafts batman.

That thing cleaned up nice for sure, what are you going to do with the old axle?

~James
Good question, I do not think he has sold it yet. Are you intrested? If he doe's have a buyer for it, don't worry, mine will be for sale soon also and it is the same axle, guts and all with new wheel bearings. :elkgrin: Those 35 spline axles are burly, almost 2" round. One of the best parts of this upgrade is the stock Toyota vacumm booster and master cylinder will handle those rear disk brakes.

Last edited:

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
BigAl said:
I love the 60, over kill all the way! :26_13_1:
Me too. I have a dana 70 that I still am considering for my yota but after seeing the 60 and 70 side by side, the diff cover is the only thing that they share in common, that 70 is a monster. I'm all about over kill too but the 70 is a little much, so I'm thinking of going with the 60 myself, seems to be the right amount of over kill for what I'm into.
:Mechanic:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I would love to have the old axle, but I think the shipping may be a bit cost prohibitive to Germany... :D

I actually have two different uncles in the States that own two different salvage yards, and both are plentiful with Taco's. I plan on cashing in a few favors and good nephew points when we get back to the States if I keep my truck with the Toyota frame rust thing (still waiting to hear about that).

The 70 rear would be insane... we actually wheel over here with a German guy who has a Homebuilt BEAST XJ Jeep. Its linked front and rear with a D70 rear axle and a 60 front. Its got a 4.0Liter HO stroker engine, and it is like a tank. (and also ugly as sin, but it gets the job done, and hes not afraid to put her on its lid. )

SS100060.jpg

SS100059.jpg

SS100058.jpg

post up the pics when you guys get it in!

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
CaliCruiser said:
You guys going to work on it tomorrow?

Dylan
It is finished and mounted, all we have to do is bleed the brakes.... actually there still is a bit to do, stop bye tomorrow if you want. I'll post some photo's later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior