Darche 270 hinge/bar loose?

Hello all, recently purchased a Darche 270 awning and installed. The aluminum swing bar seemed pretty sloppy right out of the bag which seemed ofd to me. Upon closer inspection the aluminum tube appears to be held by a single rivet from the underside and the entire bar can wiggle quite a bit. Its this per design? Am I missing other attachment points? There are no additional holes but this seems so loose it seems like an over site ?

Attachments

• IMG_8174.jpeg
    IMG_8174.jpeg
    589.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8177.jpeg
    IMG_8177.jpeg
    624.6 KB · Views: 9
Hello all, recently purchased a Darche 270 awning and installed. The aluminum swing bar seemed pretty sloppy right out of the bag which seemed ofd to me. Upon closer inspection the aluminum tube appears to be held by a single rivet from the underside and the entire bar can wiggle quite a bit. Its this per design? Am I missing other attachment points? There are no additional holes but this seems so loose it seems like an over site ?

Scratch that it seems I found my answer. It seems crazy to me this is the only thing used to attach these awning bars

Attachments

• IMG_8178.jpeg
    IMG_8178.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 7

alia176

Explorer
no way, they're using pop rivets? Dang!!! I call the "swing bars" rafters since that's what a home has and it makes sense in my head!

If it were me and I paid an arm and a leg for this thing, I'd improve this design. Keep the pop rivets there but install blind nuts or nutserts using the proper nutsert insertion tool. I'd insert them in the X and Y direction on ALL places where this connection is taking place. Here's a Chinese version that should work fine amazon link.

Adding more pop rivets is not my answer because they might work themselves loose over time as wind hammers this thing while being deployed. You want a solution that stays tight using a lockwasher and a bolt.

I'm rather appalled at this construction technique.

Last edited:

llamalander

Haven't taken a close look at mine, but it is worth considering that the tube is supported by the rectangular portion of the hinge and retained by both the rivet and the fabric cover. The whole awning firms-up under tension.
Not in the ads, but certainly in the instructions is the warning that it is not self-supporting.
For that failure, it is lighter and cheaper than one that is.
I haven't had any issues with the support bars in a few years of owning, lots of driving and a good deal of wind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior