Dark Canyon To Elephant Hill

Is that a Pirate salute I see in the fourth picture ;)...

Looks like a great trip! Did you guys get a chance to walk around in Dark Canyon and the Ruin Park/House Park areas?

Scott Brady

Founder
We had a great trip through that area too and were fortunate to have very dramatic weather and difused lighting. We have some incredible images.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Aye it is a pirate salute... She was a little tired of being in the truck...

We didn't hike as much as we would have liked, we were going on our 10th day of being out and the first few days were horrid weather days, so we didn't want to get caught out there again.

Brady- Yeah I'm bummed we missed each other... At one point on Lockhart I saw a squadron of FJ's and a land Cruiser thinking it may be you... But they were slow and never caught up.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Dark Canyon Info Request

BUMP :D

Question #1: For those that have run Dark Canyon from the South Elk Ridge side:

From the mainroad turnoff (marked "Little Notch" on the 24k maps).... How long would you plan to go in & out of Dark Canyon?

From the maps it looks like ~11 miles each way... 22 miles for the roundtrip.

Question #2:

At the point where the road up Peavine Canyon turns east into Dark Canyon, maps show it extending North and meandering up towards Rig Canyon, and staying in Dark Canyon proper... the USGS maps I have (circa 1985) show both trails going to "pack trail" for short segments before re-connecting with known vehicular routes.

Does anyone know if these two outlets are in deed possible? Regardless are their things worth seeing (relative of course ;)) up the either option?

Thanks in advance :cool:

sinuhexavier

Explorer
cruiseroutfit said:
Question #1: For those that have run Dark Canyon from the South Elk Ridge side:

From the mainroad turnoff (marked "Little Notch" on the 24k maps).... How long would you plan to go in & out of Dark Canyon?

From the maps it looks like ~11 miles each way... 22 miles for the roundtrip.

From the junction of Peavine and Dark Canyons it took about 45 minutes to an hour to get out. That was no stopping or sight seeing. It took about 3 hours going in because we stopped checked stuff out.

cruiseroutfit said:
Question #2:

At the point where the road up Peavine Canyon turns east into Dark Canyon, maps show it extending North and meandering up towards Rig Canyon, and staying in Dark Canyon proper... the USGS maps I have (circa 1985) show both trails going to "pack trail" for short segments before re-connecting with known vehicular routes.

Does anyone know if these two outlets are in deed possible? Regardless are their things worth seeing (relative of course ;)) up the either option?

The road ends at Rig Canyon or at least it looked like it to us. You can make it all the way up to the end of Dark Canyon. It, in my opinion, is worth it, unlike anywhere I have been in Redrock country. You are down in a canyon so you won't have long vistas. The meadows and sage brush plains are great for relaxing by the babbling brook.

cruiseroutfit

sinuhexavier said:
From the junction of Peavine and Dark Canyons it took about 45 minutes to an hour to get out. That was no stopping or sight seeing. It took about 3 hours going in because we stopped checked stuff out.

The road ends at Rig Canyon or at least it looked like it to us. You can make it all the way up to the end of Dark Canyon. It, in my opinion, is worth it, unlike anywhere I have been in Redrock country. You are down in a canyon so you won't have long vistas. The meadows and sage brush plains are great for relaxing by the babbling brook.

Thanks a million! :cool:

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Reviving an old thread here but I'm looking to run up to Dark Canyon later this year and was wondering what trails within that area are worth going to. Any other information you could give me would be great and yes I'm searching.

cruiseroutfit

ttora4runner said:
Reviving an old thread here but I'm looking to run up to Dark Canyon later this year and was wondering what trails within that area are worth going to. Any other information you could give me would be great and yes I'm searching.

Look into Arch Canyon and Hotel Rock (SW of Dark Canyon), as well as Beef Basin (N of Dark Canyon)... Lots of neat opportunities in the area :cool:

wesintl

It's basically what is used to pave the hill. It keeps the dirt from eroding. You stretch it out and fill in the honeycomb style open areas will fill dirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle