Dark Canyon To Elephant Hill

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
What can you all tell be about Elpehant Hill? The more I search into this area the longer I want to stay but I only have two days.

wesintl

Run ehill camp at devils kitchen or butler flat. hike chesler and the confluence overlook, exit the south end of the park to bobbys hole and beef basin and take salt creek back to just south of newspaper rock. nice views of lavender canyon from up high too.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
How about hauling an AT trailer thru some of the area. I may be going with ttora4runner in the early fall. Not sure what trails he's planning on hitting.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
MaddBaggins said:
How about hauling an AT trailer thru some of the area. I may be going with ttora4runner in the early fall. Not sure what trails he's planning on hitting.

Alia and I both hauled trailers through the entire segment (Comb Wash to Moab including Dark Canyon). No issues to speak of. Alia had a couple of tight spots with his bigger trailer, but all in all it wasn't a problem IMO

MaddBaggins

Explorer
cruiseroutfit said:
Alia and I both hauled trailers through the entire segment (Comb Wash to Moab including Dark Canyon). No issues to speak of. Alia had a couple of tight spots with his bigger trailer, but all in all it wasn't a problem IMO

Thanks Kurt. I read on this thread somewhere about a place where you have to back up the switchbacks. That would suck with a trailer. I guess, depending on your route and destination, it's a trail you don't have to do.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
MaddBaggins said:
Thanks Kurt. I read on this thread somewhere about a place where you have to back up the switchbacks. That would suck with a trailer. I guess, depending on your route and destination, it's a trail you don't have to do.

Thats the backside of Elephant Hill, wasn't bad at all with our trailers truthfully. We had a rig in front of us to "stop" traffic and rather than back up the section, we drove forward and did a multi-point turn on the switchbacks. No time loss at all.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Maddbaggins, as soon as I get the route fiqured out I'll let you know. I'm just trying to fiqure what is going to be best use of the two days that I'll have. Might be able to push three days.

:safari-rig:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
MaddBaggins said:
Wow, some great pics there. I almost hope I don't get drawn for elk this year. if I don't get drawn I will probably be doing this trip.

AZ must give out more Elk tags than NV. Here it's just about a once in a lifrtime draw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78