David Ellis Canvas Tents

KevinsMap

Adventurer
I originally posted this as a response, in the thread on "What's your number one most useful cooking item?". But then, I realized that I had never really given a public call-out to David (just a mention of his work, here and there), who had built us the beautiful tent you see below. This is for you David; a very public follow-up, and our gratitude... So - in its entirety, plus a few more pics, my post and now very first thread:

Well, I do cook under the veranda quite often, so I suppose it belongs here too

As you can see below, it's a modified center pole design; A Sunforger treated canvas, 7oz. army duck David Ellis Torrent Tent. It is customized for our needs, with one-half the tent converted into a large open veranda that can be raised or lowered to contend with weather... and makes possible those Swedish pancakes, cooked on the veranda in a hailstorm :) True story, and more than once, because there is something about hail and snow that brings out the Swede in my wife :) The total footprint is 12'x14', with the enclosed part 7'x12'.

IMG_1244.jpg

I cannot say enough good things about this tent. It folds very compactly for its size, easily packing into our Jeep, and is quite light - roughly 30lbs - but luxurious beyond belief. It is a true "Storm Rider", including an entire night of sustained 40mph winds (50+mph gusts) in Death Valley last year. That storm took out power for 50 miles around, and cleared out or leveled nearly every tent in that area. No damage at all - It is beautifully constructed, in Durango Colorado. It is cool in full sun and warm in cold wind, and fully screened for pesky critters. It goes up in 15min, 30 for storm stakes.

Taking it down is more like 45 minutes; canvas likes to be cleaned and folded. We have "put it away wet", literally, when we were forced to by circumstances; it's actually much faster but no fun. Very heavy and you must store a canvas tent dry, and that means a stop to set it up and dry it out. So it is our "2 night tent" - we use it when we are staying in one place for at least 2 nights. But we fear no storm, or rain, or hail. It is one tough tent.

http://www.elliscanvastents.com

As for all that red furniture and linen, well, meet my wife ;-)

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

Now I'm going to start my first thread with this very post, because it occurs to me that I should give David Ellis some public visibility for building such a great tent. Appropriate, too, because he delivered it to us at Overland Expo West in 2014, and I found his work on this forum!

WP_20141115_08_35_36_Pro.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

Edit added: Here is the tent folded into its carry bag, loaded into the jeep. it is the light tan bag with the black cross-straps at the end, just behind the drivers seat. All the stakes and poles are in that bag.

IMG_1057.jpg

Last edited:

KevinsMap

Adventurer
That's some glamping right there!! Nice setup!

Not Sure. That word is so... weird. Thank all the furies I did not have to grow up with it ;-) It would have been the subject of many a long debate around the campfire at San Onofre Surfing Beach, at cocktail hour, among my fathers crowd. Not fancy people - ex-military, aerospace types, surfboard makers and just all kinds; but cocktail hour was a sacrament!

So... When I think of that word, I don't think of camping in tents in fresh gale winds, but that was one of my requirements. And the linens are Ikea; the pretty one likes pillows. They usually do. So, yes and no. But mostly no... because we carry our own packs. Like I was taught.

... and thanks :)

Last edited:

nuclearmonkey

Observer
Thanks for the review! I've been very interested in his tents, and love that there are some additional options he's willing to customize. Can you tell me the dimensions of the bag all packed up? Is everything packed into the bag, or are there separate items as well?... (I have a small truck!)

KevinsMap

Adventurer
Thanks for the review! I've been very interested in his tents, and love that there are some additional options he's willing to customize. Can you tell me the dimensions of the bag all packed up? Is everything packed into the bag, or are there separate items as well?... (I have a small truck!)

Space is very tight in a JKU, as you can see in the last pic. I understand. An Oztent was an early favorite when our old tent was to be replaced, but the packing problems in a JKU were a big problem for an Oztent. That was a good thing, for us, in the end. The Oztent is truly awesome, but our Ellis Torrent Tent was designed with those big custom fully screened "doors" on both ends, opening up to the views and breezes, or closing up dust-storm tight. It makes this a very comfortable tent in any weather.

From memory, the packed bag is roughly 9" high x 15" wide x 38" long; that is rather a easy, loose pack with all poles, the stakes supplied with the tent (decent stakes too), everything. It can be made a bit smaller and shorter with effort, but this loose pack is soft and works for my system. All the accessories have their own separate well-constructed bags that fit inside the main bag. I usually separate out my stake kit to lighten the tent bag; I have a full set of very large, long and heavy forged iron storm stakes (Snow Peak), and I treat them as a separate kit.

Last edited:

KevinsMap

Adventurer
David does quite a lot of interesting custom tent work, large scale stuff, but be aware; that kind of thing takes time. Don't be in a hurry, there will be a line; but he produces a superior product.

I bought a 12' Range Tent, a cowboy bedroll and a custom shade fly from Dave Ellis several years ago. I stopped by his shop in Durango in 2013 on my way to the Overland Expo and at the 2014 Overland Expo, he stopped by my site in the Mormon Lake RV park and helped me set up my shade fly and hung out for an hour. That was really cool!

I literally can't say enough good things about how great Dave's products are. They are the best!

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
That is the nicest looking base camp tent I have ever seen! Such style, and elegance in the flow of the awning. Very nice.
Living large, as they say around here. J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears