DC or AC- specifically suicide doors vs regular doors

dman93

Adventurer
I've read reams of opinions on the DC vs AC question, but I've never read an owner's perspective on the value of the suicide doors. Specifically, if you don't need the double cab for passengers,do the suicide doors enable loading larger items (like bikes or big gear boxes) into the rear, or is that not really an advantage, given the smaller volume in back? I currently own a T100 ExtraCab and the lack of rear doors makes it hard to take advantage of the considerable room behind the seats. So any extra doors as found in a Tacoma would be nice. But the pillar-less design of the AccessCab is appealing ... just trying to understand if that really helps compensate for less interior volume. Thanks.

scheefdog

Observer
I have a 2002 Tundra AC and I love the suicide doors. They are more convenient than regular doors because you don't have to walk around the door to open it up to get something out. You have access to the front and back seat which is great.

I previously owned a 92 xtracab pickup and then a 99 xtracab tacoma. Wish Toyota would have implemented the suicide doors earlier.

mtndude23

Observer
The biggest down side I had with the suicide doors was with grocery carts. Open main door, open little door, close big door, load up, move cart, open big door, close little door, close big door, put cart away. Now the DC, open door load, close door, put cart away.

robert

Expedition Leader
They can be a pain with shopping carts but most of the time they're handy. They definitely make loading the cab easier than the earlier Tacomas without them, especially bulky items like fridges.

takesiteasy

Adventurer
Suicide doors are great until you're in a tight parking lot.

They can be a pain with shopping carts but most of the time they're handy. They definitely make loading the cab easier than the earlier Tacomas without them, especially bulky items like fridges.

I agree with these statements. I like the suicide doors most of the time. In a tight parking lot it is tough to get the dog to jump back into the truck. Most of the time the doors are great- easy access to the back seat area where there is really quite a bit of room (I took the jump seats out and put in a platform for the dog).

dman93

Adventurer
Thanks guys. I think I'll just check out the two cabs at the dealer and also keep an eye peeled in grocery parking lots. Ive had three old-style extended cab trucks including my current T100 and squeezing things past the seat is getting old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears