DE VI - The Pony Express Trip Report

satria

g.png
subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

mjmcdowell

Explorer
DE VI

Laura... great trip report, I had a blast, as always. I know next years trip will be spectacular again! All stay safe. Michael

Hun

Expedition historian
Laura... great trip report, I had a blast, as always. I know next years trip will be spectacular again! All stay safe. Michael

Thanks Michael! Feel free to post comments, photos, whatever from your perspective as well!

Hun

Expedition historian

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
More wide open spaces...

d7-1.jpg

A current resident of Stoke's Castle

d7-2.jpg

d7-3.jpg

The bike trail

d7-4.jpg

More snow!

d7-5.jpg

View from the top

d7-6.jpg

d7-7.jpg

d7-9.jpg

First time the truck is in snow!

d7-8.jpg

Hun

Expedition historian
Day 8 - Spelunking (or for our British friends - Potholing)

The night was not nearly as cold as we had anticipated. Started our day with a breakfast of eggs, sausage, onion, and tortilla strips, all scrambled together. Love one-pan cooking, especially when Scott is the cook! We continued down past the open mine into a canyon offering fantastic displays of rock cliffs.

IMG_0029.jpg

We happened upon a partially standing rock house off to the side of the path. Here you can catch Frenchie frolicking.

IMG_0030.jpg

Coming out of the mountains, Big Smokey Valley stretched before us. We turned north on NV 376 to find Pete Summit's road heading northeast back into the Humboldt National Forest. At Spencer's hot spring we shed our footwear and soaked our feet in the warm water while Keith slipped down into the basin for a full soak. Someone please post a photo of that!

When we reached some shade trees we stopped for a lunch break. Listening to the wind howl through the canyons belied the hot weather and held promise of cooler temps to come. We headed south east on 001 to Toquima Cave where we hiked a quarter mile to the cave mouth to view the ancient Shoshone paintings.

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

Coming down the mountain we entered Monitor ranch -- literally we drove through the ranch houses and scattered buildings -- and turned west onto 138 to find a camp spot for the night . We climbed to 9550' altitude and found a site in among some sheltering trees and as we listened to howling winds, we now had to wonder if we were in for a snowy night. Dinner of zucchini and onion with ground beef settled us down for a evening campfire to warm us from the brisk winds. Camp was in Stoneberger basin and we had traversed 50 miles.

gwittman

Adventurer
Sorry Laura, I don't have a photo of the hot springs. I was too busy enjoying soaking my feet in it.
As we were approaching the some of the lower sections of a valley we kept seeing large sections with an orange glow. Frenchie informed us it was mallow. It sure is prettier than the mallow weed that grows in my yard.
P1010045.jpg
Here are some close ups of the Shoshone paintings at Toquima Cave. I have seen many petroglyphs before but this was my first experience with pictographs. As you can see they also include some colors.
P1010050.jpg...P1010053.jpg
Finding those sheltering Pinyon Pines was a welcome site after driving considerable distance along a ridge with no protection from the strong wind. It was a small forest but it was perfect for us. We were thinking we may have to bundle up in preparation for a cold windy night. The welcoming pines were exactly what we needed.
P1010060.jpg
Here is a nice view from a ridge near our campsite.
P1010057.jpg

Attachments

• P1010048.jpg
    P1010048.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 11

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society

At Spencer's hot spring we shed our footwear and soaked our feet in the warm water while Keith slipped down into the basin for a full soak. Someone please post a photo of that!

Keith has the photos...

4x4x4doors

Explorer
DSCF7414.jpg
Soaking at Spencer Hot Spring
DSCF7441.jpg
The road ran between the ranch houses and the animals
DSCF7443.jpg
DSCF7449.jpg
DSCF7463.jpg
Unusual pinyon pine. Apparently the oldest in that little grove
DSCF7467.jpg
Starting out next morning

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
The view from camp

d8-1.jpg

Tailings from a gold mine

d8-2.jpg

Fences...

d8-2a.jpg

d8-3.jpg

Beautiful scenery

d8-4.jpg

d8-5.jpg

Long abandoned residence

d8-6.jpg

View from Toquima Cave

d8-7.jpg

Hun

Expedition historian
Day 9 - Snow day - yes, in June

No snow, no rain, the night was beautiful. We started our day with oatmeal and bananas, packed up camp, and headed further west on 138 to see if it really was passable. We made it as far as the junction just passed 348A at which point the 15' snow drift had us deciding to turn around and retrace our steps east back to Monitor Valley.

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

Several steep climbs, a few water streams crossing the path, and cow herds to greet us in passing and we were back on the east side of the mountain range.

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

We found a shady spot for lunch before dropping into the valley and turning south heading toward Northumbelrand Gold Mine. We found 023 and turned west toward the mine. The mine access road was gated and locked so we headed up the mountain and were surprised by the view from atop. The open pit mine stretched on far and wide. The roadway was cut wide for heavy mining equipment.

IMG_0073.jpg

On the ride down and out west towards Smokey Valley we hunted a good flat protected but open camp site and passed through rocky canyons out into the valley. Knowing we wouldn't find camp in the valley we retraced our path back up 5 miles on Northumberland to camp just west of the mine.

IMG_0076.jpg

Black bean dip and chips to complement the juice drinks were enjoyed by all the travel-weary campers while we grilled kielbasa and onions for dinner.

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

Camp was at 7400' elevation and we had traveled 60 miles.

Last edited:

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Great report folks, probably the best DE one yet. Good to hear the female perspective from Laura (Hun). Another dang DE trip that looks like I should have been there.

Hun

Expedition historian
Great report folks, probably the best DE one yet. Good to hear the female perspective from Laura (Hun). Another dang DE trip that looks like I should have been there.

Do come next year! I had an excellent time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman