Death Valley Adventure

v_man

Explorer
I think a 4x4 Tundra could make it through Dedeckera Canyon and over Steel Pass . Coming down from Steel Pass into the Saline Valley would be the toughest part with a Tundra because of the long wheel base . There are some tight turns . If you are okay with a little possible damage , then you should be fine .

I think a 4x4 Tunda could make it up Lippincott also , the road is narrow in places , you'd probably be about a foot from a drop off in a few places , but careful driving and a spotter should get you through ...

I can't comment on the other trails in the video , havn't been on those .

EDIT : No permit needed , these are our National Parks !

j2dd

Thanks v man....I am picking up a new camper from Hallmark in CO and driving to Aluminess to have bumpers installed next week. I'm hoping I can get out that way on way the way back home from San Diego. Great info. Thx again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
Geesh - watched that video and really enjoyed it - was a little jealous, frankly. Good on ya for taking the family on trips like that. So good for the kids, too! Loved the poses :)

Couple of questions - how much water and fuel did you carry along? What were the temps like - windows were generally up; did you drive with AC? Where did the folks in the other jeep sleep?

fifthconspiracy

Geesh - watched that video and really enjoyed it - was a little jealous, frankly. Good on ya for taking the family on trips like that. So good for the kids, too! Loved the poses :)
Couple of questions - how much water and fuel did you carry along? What were the temps like - windows were generally up; did you drive with AC? Where did the folks in the other jeep sleep?
Thanks! Kids love the exploring part of the trips, but the long drives they are not crazy about. However, they don't complain as long as their many devices are powered up. I am a very lucky guy to have such a supportive family that enjoys doing what we do. My wife is awesome and takes most of the photos/video you see in the trip report.

I filled up the gas tank in Big Pine in addition to 2 x 5 gal fuel cans on the tire carrier. We managed to go from Big Pine to Eureka Dunes, Steel Pass, Across Saline Valley, Up Lippincott, Over to Teakettle, Lost Burro and then the next day up to Ubehebe Crater, down past Scotty's Junction and past Stovepipe Wells to Panamint Springs. I dumped the fuel cans into the tank on Day 2 and when we reached Panamint, I had a quarter tank left. We're kinda heavy, so others may have better fuel mileage ;-)

My buddy in his 2 door Jeep has a deck that he built across the back that he sleeps on (he's a short guy).

We carried a flat of bottled water and a 5 gal water can as well.

The temp at night went down to zero Celsius (32F), with daytime hitting 37 Celsius (99F). I typically drive with the windows up and AC lightly blowing because I'm a clean freak and don't like the interior getting dusty ;-)

And I believe others asked questions above that have been answered already.

Cheers! ~ Paul.

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
Thanks Paul - fwiw, I LOVE BC. Grew up near seattle - have done a bit of driving up there. In my Miata days, went with a group starting near you (we call that area Smallville), up 1 -> hwy99, to Lillooet, back down 1 through Harrison hot springs, and back to Vancouver before heading back to the states. Very pretty (and long) drive.

fifthconspiracy

I uploaded the GPS tracks for our 3 day adventure in Death Valley. You can get the tracks here:

http://overlandjeep.ca/gps-tracks/

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 8.13.57 PM.jpg

They are the first set listed under "Death Valley - North End of Park". There's 3 days. Grab them all and then open them directly in Google Maps.

Hope this helps with future planning!

Cheers! ~ Paul.

Great video.

What kind of damage did your tent sustain in the wind? Was it repairable? thanks.

sorry for the threadjack. meant to ask a question but forgot! doh!

Another member with a well-built Tundra Crewmax (zidaro) drove through Steel/Dedeckera. Check out his post near the end of his build thread.

The vid below shows a full-sized camper going down Lippincott with a largish camper. So, you can make it in the Tundra... But, as others v man said, from the looks of things there might be a few scary places. There's one section that is *super* tight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH0Y2Unf4G0

Just watched video. Really well do e. Thx for posting.

One more question, do you think a Tundra with a pop up truck camper would make it through all of these canyon trails and passes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears