DEATH VALLEY RUN - President day weekend

stioc

Expedition Leader
What are our options for dispersed camping?

We'll likely be arriving Fri afternoon with a small chance of arriving late Thu night only to avoid the long weekend traffic.

tyty13

Adventurer
What are our options for dispersed camping?

We'll likely be arriving Fri afternoon with a small chance of arriving late Thu night only to avoid the long weekend traffic.

Good point Stioc
Friday Guys what would b the earliest you guys can go. The 91 should be bad
Torquey?
Nwoods?
Dennx?

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
I took Fri off so having never done the Ballarat, Mengel Pas section of DV before I just may push myself to meet with the group Thu night - provided the campgrounds are available. There are some cool things to see along the way if there's time. This not-to-scale highlevel map is very similar to Carlos' plan for the first leg- I think.

map.jpg

stioc

Expedition Leader
Good point!

http://www.nps.gov/deva/parkmgmt/rules-and-regulations.htm#campfires

"Campfire restrictions do not apply to the use of gas or petrochemical cooking or heating stoves or to lanterns as the use of those devices, which are easily extinguished, poses a minimal threat to the resource."

For this very reason I have a portable propane firepit http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Propane-Portable-Campfire/dp/B000L4HSH8 as more and more parks in CA are banning wood fires. The only problem is I don't have room for a large propane tank. If someone is willing to bring a propane tank I'm more than happy to bring the firepit.

Dennx

Adventurer
I took Fri off so having never done the Ballarat, Mengel Pas section of DV before I just may push myself to meet with the group Thu night - provided the campgrounds are available. There are some cool things to see along the way if there's time. This not-to-scale highlevel map is very similar to Carlos' plan for the first leg- I think.

map.jpg

I haven't been that route either. I think I'll be doing the same after watching various vids of the trails/points of interest on YouTube. So, looks like I may be one of a few heading out on Thursday from OC.

cap510

Adventurer
1st post has been updated, please keep checking for the latest.
Please email me or PM if anything needs to be updated or change from what's listed on the 1st post.

RobRed

Explorer
I'll throw my name in the list.

We are for sure heading to DV but I don't Know if I can meet your time lines for starting... maybe link up on the trail. Perhaps put us in the maybe zone only for that reason.

RobRed - Land Cruiser 100 - 2 ppl. Comms: HAM / APRS / FRS / GMRS / PLB / SAT Phone / Cell Phone / [No CB]

I would suggest FRS for vehicle to vehicle comms since they are super cheap for those that dont have any comm or only a CB.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
My brother will be coming along with me on the trip, he is a great videographer and will be grabbing some of his camera gear with him.

Should be good!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
?..I have a portable propane firepit http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Propane-Portable-Campfire/dp/B000L4HSH8 as more and more parks in CA are banning wood fires. The only problem is I don't have room for a large propane tank. If someone is willing to bring a propane tank I'm more than happy to bring the firepit.

Ok, just checked. This burns a 20lbs tank in ~8 hrs. We usually sit around until 1:00am relaxing so using this we may have to cut back on our campfire ******** chat...

Last edited:

blackzhoe

Hi my name is Dan, long time lurker. Me and my fam were looking to go out there that weekend and I found this thread. Sounds like fun! I would be meeting up with the group Saturday morning. Where would the meetup spot be for Saturday morn?

Dan - blackzhoe - Chevy Tahoe 33" - 4 occupants

alexbv

Hey guys,
My buddy Jason "torquey" has been telling me about this trip for a while and I've been salivating following this thread since.
The wife and I cant go on a trip like this because we have a two-year old and a small baby. :(

Wait.....what?, she said I can go!! I would love to be added to the list.

Alex - alexbv - lx450 35's - 1 or 2

I would be leaving with Jason on Friday from Orange.

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
We usually sit around until 1:00am relaxing so using this we may have to cut back on our campfire ******** chat...

Haha now that wouldn't be a bad thing for those who want to get away from the usual county-campground riff-raffs :coffeedrink:

So what time is everyone arriving on Thu? Looks like we'll be heading out of OC around 7pm and probably not getting to Ballarat until around midnight :Wow1: I'll need to stock up on some Red Bull. Those arriving earlier can you guys leave a tent spot open for us...that way we won't have to winch your tents around to make room :sombrero:

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Looks like I will be doing some of your same route, but starting a day earlier. If you guys see a red 80, that's me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78