Defender 110 1979/2002 EBAY LEGAL???

AAXD

I looked that truck over about a year and a half ago. Then it had no engine or front end, and still had plastic on the seats. Appeared to be 0 mileage, though the odometer was digital so I couldn't see. The owner told me he planned to build it up as a demo truck for his business and just drive it on the dealer plates.

M

MuddyOval

Considering a 79 would have leaf springs, that kinda eliminates the chance it was a SIII rebuilt.
Even if it was a 2002 or newer or whatever Defender and brought into the US as a parts car- it's illegal to assemble it and put it on the road. It has no roll bar/cage and the guy is slinging different years and VINs around- it's obviously not legit. To be a legal import 110, it has to be 25 years old OR a 1993 done through a registered importer. Anything else- not legal.

Wander

Expedition Leader
With little time left it's up to 69K -who the heck has that much $$ to throw at something like this??? There are lots of legit Defender 90's for half (which still is WAY beyond my budget).

gjackson

FRGS
I looked that truck over about a year and a half ago. Then it had no engine or front end, and still had plastic on the seats. Appeared to be 0 mileage, though the odometer was digital so I couldn't see. The owner told me he planned to build it up as a demo truck for his business and just drive it on the dealer plates.

I stand corrected then, it's not an ROW truck. Looks like a nice build.

cheers

evilfij

Explorer
$69,200!

It looks like a legit bidder too (348 rating).

That truck is 14ukp (about 20k us) new in the UK.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
This is what the VIN says it is:
SAL Manufacturer code: Land Rover
LD Model: Defender (for early models: Ninety, or One Ten)
H Wheel base: 110 inch
A Body type: 2-door: Pickup, hood cab, truck cab, or soft/hard top
F Engine type: 2.5 litre Tdi diesel, model 11L (200Tdi) or model 16L (300Tdi)
7 Steering and transmission: Right-hand drive (RHD), 5-speed manual (LT85, LT77, LT77S, R380 or other)
2 Model year: 2002
A Assembly location: Solihull, UK
629590 Serial number

Seems weird ebay requires them to list it as a '79.
It's also makes no sense to me that they'd convert it to an automatic.

Wander

Expedition Leader
I guess it was also a big job to convert to LHD as well-but I'm sure it made it more sellable here (as the final bid would attest).

Maybe the 1979 thing was the way they avoided the history report questions as that didn't start untill 81?

evilfij

Explorer
US ebay does not recognize ROW VINs from 1980ish on up and also does not recognize a bunch of specialty VINs either.

telwyn

Adventurer
That's bizarre that it seemingly sold and is relisted. If I wasn't so respectful of the seller's time since I'm not an actual interested buyer, I'd be tempted to see if I can arrange to go look at it just for kicks.

I live in St. Pete and while that house could be anywhere in Tampa Bay, sure does look like some stuff near my neighborhood...

Rover7777

I realize this is old, buy i ran a car fax on it.....very strange. 2007 auto auction, eastern region....FWIW

10/02/2007 Auto Auction Sold at auction
in Eastern Region
Listed as
a fleet vehicle
11/14/2007 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Tampa, FL
Title #0099604099 Dealer took title of this vehicle
while it was in inventory
NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE TITLE ISSUED
Vehicle color noted as White
CARFAX Advisor™
A NAM title is issued when the owner discloses to a DMV mileage fraud, a broken odometer or that the actual mileage of this vehicle is unknown.

Mileage reported after this reading is potentially unreliable.
05/19/2008 Auto Auction Sold at auction
in Florida
Listed as
a dealer vehicle
09/03/2008 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Tampa, FL
Title #0099604099 New owner reported
NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE TITLE ISSUED
Registered as
personal vehicle
Vehicle color noted as White