Defender 90 Build Thread

sheep_dog

Observer
I finally got around to changing the wheels bearings. After finishing them, I feel like I left the defender neglected for not doing it sooner. The bearings on the driver side wasn't bad, but both wheels on the passenger side revealed an awful goop. I'm guessing at some point water got into the bearing assembly. It was odd that driver side had gasket/ silicon on them, and the passenger side didn't have anything... Hence why I assume water got in there.

On the flip side for the Defender, two new Wavian fuel cans came in! They are for part of a project that will probably be done late next month!

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Good work on getting to those bearings. Looks like it was a mess of a job.

spikemd

Explorer
Nice D90. Hopefully I will see u at an NCLR event soon. Was wondering where you got your 200 from as I am starting the hunt myself. I will hopefully see my 110 sometime this spring when it gets shipped over.

sheep_dog

Observer
It was a messy job Kgh, but I feel much better about driving the defender now. It was so bad in some of the hubs that when I removed the cover old bearing grease dripped out like oil... Spikemd hopefully I will attend one soon. I still need to join! I found mine on Craigslist actually. I was just browsing and found it for $1200. Granted it needs a bit of work, but I planned on rebuilding any motor I bought. I'm super jealous you have a 110 coming! Little man syndrome from the 90 owner!:bowdown: I can't wait to see it when it gets here. You're going to love being a defender owner. There is nothing more iconic than a defender driving down a trail!

sheep_dog

Observer
Many projects in the works for the Defender this month! Over the next few weeks there will be many updates of the defender becoming equipped to hit the trail.
I ordered a t-max dual battery system, which is in need of installing. Before being able to install it I needed a dual battery tray. The only one I could find is the Flatdog dual battery tray. Its a great looking product, but it only works will optimas. The height of the optimas is shorter than a run of the mill battery, and if modded to fit a normal battery, it will require the cover piece over the battery compartment to not be used. Since speeding $600 on battery's is not not an option at the moment, and not using the cover would drive me crazy, I decided I had to build my own battery tray. The tray I built allows for a normal battery to be used, but the height can also be adjusted for the lower optima. To ensure the cover would fit with the higher battery I had to make the rear point lower than the other two to compensate for the downward angle of the seat box.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Minor detail: your Land Rover is a "Ninety". The Defender name was used from 1991 on.

Minor detail: In the US, a Land Rover of 90, 110, 127, or 130 inch wheelbase is commonly referred to as a "Defender".

Kinda like the Brits call a vacuum a Hoover, cotton swabs are "q-tips", copiers are a Xerox, etc etc.

Sheepdog: Your truck is coming along nicely. And you are driving and enjoying it. Good for you!

spikemd

Explorer
Nice find on Craigslist. I will keep looking for a 200 or 300tdi. A full rebuild is definitely worth it while the engine is out. Solis has spent so much more time chasing small things and trying to get his tuned. I remember driving behind him in Death Valley and thinking he had installed a James Bond smoke screen upgrade but it was just his tdi spewing black smoke!

sheep_dog

Observer
Thank you for all the positive comments. Spikemd I got extremely lucky with the motor. I sent him a deposit right away just to secure it, and had a waiting line behind me. The motor will be sitting around for a bit before I even get around to it. Late post but the Landy has been off at the shop having something built for it... Its been gone for almost two weeks and should be returning home soon! When it returns it has a substantial amount of parts waiting for it.
The day I took it to the shop was the first rain in a while. Its like mother nature knew how sad I was to see it go away.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Dug these up from earlier in October. Here he is futzing around with something, battery tray I think

30108135203_a2b66bbc8d_b.jpg

30108144123_35bb462cb0_b.jpg

And lazy afternoons in hammocks is what these Rovers do best

30706966786_f6d26c0248_b.jpg

30655419621_ab80463fdd_b.jpg

Snacks

30111229574_903b6af4ee_b.jpg

30626886992_aea33449ac_b.jpg

Cheers folks

30108001383_bcdf27fe71_b.jpg

30655313201_e910f077a8_b.jpg

sheep_dog

Observer
Still no updates, except for the pile of aftermarket parts growing in my garage. I will give a sneak peak of whats in store for the Defender. Just because Kgh asked:ylsmoke:

sheep_dog

Observer
Its been a while since I last posted on here. The Defender is back at home with many changes. While the majority of the upgrades are in the works, the rear bumper is done and on the rig. I would like to give a big thanks to ATF in Livermore, CA. Chris at ATF designed and built the bumper, with my needs and wants in mind. The bumper turned out better than I could imagine. The needs I wanted for the bumper were to be able to hold two fuel cans and a spare tire. I wanted this done without having to relocate the lights or the license plate. This bumper has two swing outs and recesses in the center so if i desire I can attach a pintle hitch to the factory location. Did I mention that it is completely bolt on? In the pictures you may be able to see some the projects that are in the works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior