Defender now No 1 stolen vehicle in UK!

CharlesTeton

It's been one of the most stolen vehicles in the UK for quite some time IIRC

No 3 last year... Some major security flaws that LR know about, the main one LR has work around as standard but only since 2012. Appalling!!! Most peeps don't know its there, all the thieves do.

DividingCreek

Explorer
Not good news... Please make sure you add more security to your pride and joy.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/land-rover-defender-is-top-target-1453032

Its been in the top 5 in the UK for around a decade. How many cars can be stolen with a screwdriver and a pipe wrench ? I was given an education on what is done there. The column shroud is removed or simply broken off and a 12 inch pipe wrench is put on the then very exposed lock cylinder and one good blow brakes the two snap head bolts that hold the ignition switch to the steering column. The switch falls away from the lock cylinder and a screw driver will then start the truck. Many UK trucks have immobilzers fitted but the crooks have apparently gotten good @ disabling those. Security systems have been a factory option since around 97 but seemingly don't have much affect.

CharlesTeton

Its been in the top 5 in the UK for around a decade. How many cars can be stolen with a screwdriver and a pipe wrench ? I was given an education on what is done there. The column shroud is removed or simply broken off and a 12 inch pipe wrench is put on the then very exposed lock cylinder and one good blow brakes the two snap head bolts that hold the ignition switch to the steering column. The switch falls away from the lock cylinder and a screw driver will then start the truck. Many UK trucks have immobilzers fitted but the crooks have apparently gotten good @ disabling those. Security systems have been a factory option since around 97 but seemingly don't have much affect.

:( :( :(

I have one of these, X Defend Column Lock, yet to fit... Do you think it will slow them down?

apupusub.jpg

LR Max

Local Oaf
Maybe. But if you remove the rotor button from the dizzy, it'll really hard for them to leave!!

Also I've heard of many people wiring their fuel pump to a switch on the dashboard. However said switch would never be linked to the fuel pump. It says something like, "rear wiper". Or "fog lights". Or something like that.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
We took the key out of mine. There's an unlabeled switch for 'ignition on' and another unlabeled momentary switch for 'crank'. None of the light switches or locker switches are labeled either.

Combine that with the battery switch and good luck figuring out how to start it unless you know the right sequence.

DividingCreek

Explorer
Maybe. But if you remove the rotor button from the dizzy, it'll really hard for them to leave!!

Also I've heard of many people wiring their fuel pump to a switch on the dashboard. However said switch would never be linked to the fuel pump. It says something like, "rear wiper". Or "fog lights". Or something like that.

Very few defenders in the Uk are petrol so the fuel pump and rotor button are more effective here. That said the Td5 has an in tank fuel pump but it also has a sophisticated alarm system.

CharlesTeton

Very few defenders in the Uk are petrol so the fuel pump and rotor button are more effective here. That said the Td5 has an in tank fuel pump but it also has a sophisticated alarm system.

The Td5 and Puma alarms system can be silenced with one cut of a wire, easily reached. That's one of the problems!

MedicalCowboy

Adventurer
Thanks for the tutorial!!! I may finally get my defender now mahahahahaha

CharlesTeton

Thanks for the tutorial!!! I may finally get my defender now mahahahahaha

The thieves know all the flaws, most of which can be hardened with little cost. LR have done nothing apart from making the battery backup sounder standard on 2012+ models, all Defender prior to this can have the alarm silenced in seconds.

The only people who do not know of the security holes are the owners. So its a mute point as to whether by saying how easy it is to steal that more will be stolen by publishing it.

Try looking at the LandyWatch forum, there are plenty of inexpensive ideas on making it more difficult to steal our Land Rovers. :)

http://www.landywatch.co.uk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger