Defenders in 1981?

95RRC

Adventurer
first off - a very nice example of a 80's 90...it is "put together" so to speak - but very well done.

Beverly - what you think is a leaf spring is actually the rear radius arm...that is a coil sprung Rover from what i can see.

Very nice vehicle - but check for frame issues...just take a hammer with you on your inspection and "hit" the underside of the frame in all low spots of the frame - plus the frame horns, and rear cross members.

But it looks really solid by the photos.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
This is a standard Land Rover 90 2.5 NA Diesel LT77 5 speed. Looks pretty clean but is nothing special. LHD is nice, but it is VIN swapped. You could import this truck legally now without VIN swapping to a Series III. This reduces the value big time In my opinion. $32k is silly money. It's worth $18-22k as a legal import, deduct a couple grand for unnecessary illegal VIN swap!

tacr2man

Adventurer
It has the early doors , that were fitted to a later date on mil vehicles , fitted on 90 mil and and earliest 110s defender badging came later , and door handles were moved from recessed to surface mounted , with 1 piece doors . The lt 85 was only used on V8 models . early were solid one piece case later were split case , the one piece is the stronger . The rear side windows are wrong period as well . most likely an ex mil vehicle esp being LHD , as there were quite a lot supplied as such for overseas (europe) use . Another couple of mil features are the rear bumperettes , the bonnet hold down clips and looks to have lifting eyes on top of front bumper near rad grill HTSH

beverly

null
You guys are good. He's dropped price to 29500 so far, and it's been for sale for over 2 months. Still is a lot, but it's on the cheaper side I've found for defenders (may be comparing apples & oranges). Maybe it's got a high price for the low mileage? I'm tempted because its got everything I'd want, I wouldn't change a thing. I don't have time to build a truck over a number of years. I need it ready to run out the door.

Thanks for the ID help

Howski

That's way too much money for an imported Defender with the N/A diesel. You can get a nice NAS Defender for under 30k, RoW with a TDI for much less that this seller is asking. You can get a better truck for much less. Do not get hung up on getting a low mile truck. Since they're old point many of the high mileage trucks have been gone over anyways. I'd suggest checking the D90 Source classifieds (d-90.com), lots of good trucks and help on there.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
It looks to be a very nice truck, easily worth $17, not much more. Less probably with the faux vin.

Nightfire

It looks like a cheap british army 90 (the lights, doors and rear bumperettes are the giveaway) with a Series 3 VIN

ArmyRover

Adventurer
That thing is way over priced in my humble opinion. You can get a NAS Defender 90 for that money. Or import one that hasn't had a vin swap cheaper. Heck my solid 110 5 door was much much cheaper than that and it's legal.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
If you're in the market, talk to aka rover. He's plugged in like few other people up here, and he might know of something. In addition to a yard full of Series, he has a 110 and 90.

owhiting

Supporting Sponsor
Have you actually checked the vin on the frame. Remember the early land rover vin codes were not the same as U.S. vin at that time. It appears to be a nice Ex-mod 90 that was legally imported and maybe the seller just miss-stated the date? It is an 83 or newer but how new is the question? then maybe it had a vin swap. 25 years is the rule. Should be a big ID tag on the drivers side seat box and another vin tag on the brake booster and the chassis. Some times land rover also tagged the radiator support mounts as well. But the best is the one on the front frame rail.

Nice thing about ex-mod rovers if they did not see active duty they have been very well taken care of. Have a heavier chassis and suspension and the 2.5 while slow returns 30 to 40 mpg and is simple.

windsock

Adventurer
... Doors are from a series 3, going by the windows and the detachable tops, ....

It has the early doors , that were fitted to a later date on mil vehicles , fitted on 90 mil and and earliest 110s defender badging came later , and door handles were moved from recessed to surface mounted , with 1 piece doors .

Yes, this has early 90/110 front doors and glass. You can tell the early 90/110 from the series by the slanted cut on the front edge of the rear piece. Series were straight cut on the rear piece.

matt s

Explorer
I've spent quite a bit of time looking at that ad. Sweet truck and I agree with everyone, too much $

ROVER-1

Observer
I've spent quite a bit of time looking at that ad. Sweet truck and I agree with everyone, too much $

Uh-oh... Matt are you starting to come down with something? Pretty soon KGB is going to be a Land Rover super highway.

Good luck with the search Beverly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998