Dehydrated beer

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
No offense brother, but that is something only Americans could think up....

I drink beer because I enjoy it...not because I need a beer for the sake of being able to say I have one. American beer is already crappy as is, but this reaches a new low!

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Easy now german my brother. The beer over there is good but not great the micro scene here is one that is almost untouchable. Having lived in germany for two years I wont say that american beer is king of all but I tell you what till you have gotten neck deep into the west coast micro brew scene you aint seen beer.

Anyways, this idea has been around for a while. Like my german friend, I have never tried it.
I here its not bad but I dont mind just carrying the real stuff with me and for the fifty bucks they charge you for the set up I can make a hell of a lot of beer via all grain.

or just buy a good bottle of whiskey.

over all I think that it is a good idea but I am not sure that is goign to really save any weight from say my can of fine micro brew.
cheers,

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Might as well dehydrate Jesus....
What an abomination.

Drink Scotch if you want condensed beer. Holy crap.

millerfish

Adventurer
I think this has its place and could be useful for long packing treks. If I am on a six day packing trip I don,t think lugging around 12 or more bottles or cans is something I want to do. After all we are pretty happy with other dehydrated consumables like fruit, spices, jerky and other foods heck where would we be without instant oatmeal on the trail....

OCD Overland

Explorer
Might as well dehydrate Jesus....
200.gif

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Interesting concept, make a strong potent brew, keeps as a liquid, then add water and bubbles.

Hopefully its better than coke from an bar tap ! same method- raw syrup and then add water and carbonation..

mmmm wonder if I could bring those off shore ....repackaged as marmite ...:)

KBC

As a Canadian who used to feel this way, I have to admit you are wrong. There is so much great craft beer coming out of the USA nowadays that I doubt most places could match the quality and quantity of it. And this is coming from someone not too far from the craft beer explosion in Vancouver...
No offense brother, but that is something only Americans could think up....

I drink beer because I enjoy it...not because I need a beer for the sake of being able to say I have one. American beer is already crappy as is, but this reaches a new low!

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
As a Canadian who used to feel this way, I have to admit you are wrong. There is so much great craft beer coming out of the USA nowadays that I doubt most places could match the quality and quantity of it. And this is coming from someone not too far from the craft beer explosion in Vancouver...

Well to each their own of course...but I'd match the worst Belgian and German beers against the best American ones.... And of course there are some really great beers out of Ireland....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

photogdave

Adventurer
I work part-time at a Vancouver craft brewery and I will say that there is some beer made here that will rival and beat some of the 'Merican stuff...and we're just getting started!
I'm going to send the link to this to some of the guys and see what they think! :coffeedrink:

perkj

Explorer
I personally have the Pat's Back Country beer system and I can tell you for certain it works and works well. It taste pretty darn decent too....not going to win Gold Awards, but the taste is descent enough to make it worth drinking. When weight/space is an issue and you'd be looking to relax with a nice beer whenever it is you get to where you're going, this is a good option. From a backpacking perspective the biggest challenge is having water available that is chilled enough to make it worth while....it makes it easy if you're near a river, creek or lake.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I tested this for the home page of ExPo last winter. It isn't bad at all. It isn't great, but it's far from bad.

The people who don't get it travel with coolers and fridges. Ive used it on backpacking and bikepacking trips with access to cold water and it worked well. You have to want to use it, but it does work.

http://expeditionportal.com/field-tested-pats-backcountry-beverages/

Again, you guys should check out ExPo's home page frequently. We feature some fun stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger