Dehydrated beer

outdoornate65

Adventurer
No offense brother, but that is something only Americans could think up....

I drink beer because I enjoy it...not because I need a beer for the sake of being able to say I have one. American beer is already crappy as is, but this reaches a new low!

Whoa.....back up a minute. I happen to live in the Denver area which is Ground Zero for some of the finest microbreweries in the world. To say beer in the States is "crappy" is a pretty cavalier statement coming from someone in Germany where they are limited to brewing beer with four ingredients. Had an Imperial Pumpkin lately?? Probably not.

That said, I agree with you observations that dehydrated beer is a gimmick at best and probably not even worth the time we are spending discussing it.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Whoa.....back up a minute. I happen to live in the Denver area which is Ground Zero for some of the finest microbreweries in the world. To say beer in the States is "crappy" is a pretty cavalier statement coming from someone in Germany where they are limited to brewing beer with four ingredients. Had an Imperial Pumpkin lately?? Probably not.

That said, I agree with you observations that dehydrated beer is a gimmick at best and probably not even worth the time we are spending discussing it.

Granted that I have not tried beer made from pumpkins ( that's sounds terrible btw) but I have tried beverages made from other....stuff....that tried to pass itself off as beer... Let's just say that traditional beers are better. But hey! To each his own.

I have no trouble believing the US is king when it comes to pumpkin beer and such ( so has chocolate- marshmallow beer been done yet?) who else would do such things?

The best beer in the world comes from Belgium...Westvleteren 12 (8 is good too) . If you have not tried it, I recommend you do. Next time you are in Germany look me up and we can drink one together.

Ok, I am done poking fun at my American colleges and their crappy beer...and that is all it is...poking fun, I mean. Best beer is kind of like the best NFL team; we all have our favorites and no one can convince us otherwise.
( btw, the correct answer to the NFL question is AZ Cardinals)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dake21

Adventurer
Hey LocoCoyote just by curiosity have you tried beer from the province of Quebec in Canada? I used to drink "La fin du monde" and tought it was pretty good.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I dunno. I lived in Belgium for a while. I've spent many weeks in Germany. There are just as many good beers in the US, and some I dare say might be better. I also lived in Burgundy, France and had to listen to Californians levy insults at French wine endlessly, even after having spent thousands of dollars to travel to France to drink the wine. Go figure.

At any rate, the Pat's beer system also makes root beer, cola and other bubble infused drinks. It is a novelty, but the few times I've used it in the backcountry, it was a fun addition to the trip.

KBC

Please keep in mind that Budweiser and Coors aren't really beer. I know there is plenty of great beer from many parts of Europe but to say that North America has crappy beer just isn't true. Even where I am where variety is still limited compared to many parts of the US I could try a new craft beer every night for at least a month, all of which would be pretty good if not great beer. Don't judge based on the big guys who are the only ones to import i.e. Molson, Budweiser, Coors and Miller. Those are all just piss carbonated.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Too me, my favorite beer is free cold beer.

But if I'm buying, I got standards.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
I have no need for dehydrated beer, but spending a while travelling in America certainly changed my opinion of US beer. For every yuengling, coors and miller, there's hundreds of word class microbreweries producing beers that are easily as good as many of those found in Europe. My only criticisms would be:

1. Easy on the novelty beers. Blueberries and pumpkin are great in pastry, but not in beers.
2. Give your tastebuds a break. Why the competition to see who can cram the most hops into a bottle? A subtle taste doesn't mean it's worse.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Granted that I have not tried beer made from pumpkins ( that's sounds terrible btw) but I have tried beverages made from other....stuff....that tried to pass itself off as beer... Let's just say that traditional beers are better. But hey! To each his own.

I have no trouble believing the US is king when it comes to pumpkin beer and such ( so has chocolate- marshmallow beer been done yet?) who else would do such things?

The best beer in the world comes from Belgium...Westvleteren 12 (8 is good too) . If you have not tried it, I recommend you do. Next time you are in Germany look me up and we can drink one together.

Ok, I am done poking fun at my American colleges and their crappy beer...and that is all it is...poking fun, I mean. Best beer is kind of like the best NFL team; we all have our favorites and no one can convince us otherwise.
( btw, the correct answer to the NFL question is AZ Cardinals)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, now you're crossing the line. I don't know what to be more mad at. First, you say Americans make crappy beer. Then, you say the Cardinals are the best team in the NFL? HOW DARE YOU!!

Jk. I enjoyed your NFL line. Is that beer you're talking about avail in the states? My Dad was born in Germany and I have been there a few times. The beer is very good but its very different. Big difference is the temperature its served at from what I remember. Here we want it to be served cold. In Germany I remember the beer being room temp for the most part. Still damn good when its room temperature. Makes more of a bitter hoppy taste.

Anyways, If you come to southern CA let me know and I'll show you some local brews!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
By the way, Pat's is not dehydrated, but rather a concentrated liquid, almost a syrup.

We've had some fun playing with it on trips. Last winter we used some of the cola packets to make Cuba Libres on a long hike. My complaint with the beer itself is the over-hopped taste. I also wish it had a tad more carbonation to it. Sometimes it turns out a little flat. If you can't get the water cold enough the result can sometimes be a bitter, flat, warm beer. Not good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78