Delorme InReach pricing announced

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Just some thought in a different direction:

I too have researched SPOT, Iridium, sat phones, etc. I am wondering why everyone wants to pay to subscribe to these ridiculous charges? Granted Iridium (very expensive still) and Sat phones (somewhat expensive) are the best way as you can actually talk to someone and tell them what your situations is and they are rentable for when you actually need them rather an annual cost. SPOT Connect seems a bit flaky from what I have heard and people have posted, plus there is that monthly fee again and the need for a phone signal.

Why consider a Ham Radio; depending on model: daily ********/chat use with the group, internet access, local phone access (emergency 911 allowed), repeaters to get you out there, SAR compatible, and APRS so you can actually tell someone what is going on, PLUS APRS lets you and others track each other via the Ham (depending on model) r via several different sites on the web. AND ALL with no annual fees whatsoever, granted you need to be able to pass a license, but given what I have heard on Hams, pretty much anyone can pass the test with a bit of studying.

Just seems more people have phones (smart or otherwise) than those with Hams...hmmmm...can one use a phone to ********/chat while driving on the trail to your buddy while all in the group hear the conversation, perhaps with a SMART phone?:costumed-smiley-007

ssssnake529

Explorer
I got an inreach for Christmas. Trying to figure out how to pair it with my Android. Assuming I can get it to pair with my droid, I will be giving it a try this week.

I signed up for the cheapest plan. I don't see sending more than 10 messages in a month, so it will probably work for me.

FusoFG

Adventurer
Delorme tech support, either phone or email was very helpful. Also try http://forum.delorme.com
Also make sure you have latest Earthmate app as well as running at least the minimum Android version.
I have an Atrix 2 running 2.3.5 and the earthmate app is 1.0.676549
here's some instructions I found on the web.
I think you can start from either the Android settings or the Earthmate app settings per Delorme instructions, but when you get to Bluetooth devices the important steps are 6,7 and 8.
when i look in android settings it always says paired but not connected, but settings in earthmate app shows paired icon.
Dec 8, 2011
1. Tap Settings
2. Tap Wireless and Networks
3. Tap Bluetooth settings
4. Tap Scan for Devices
5. Set InReach for BT mode
6. When InReach shows up under Bluetooth devices, tap and then hold entry until menu appears
7. Tap Pair
8. Message appears that InReach is paired by not connected
9. Start Earthmate. Lower right message will turn from InReach unavailable to Connected to Inreach

ssssnake529

Explorer
Got it paired. Sent some test messages. I do a lot of solo travel, so my wife really likes this gadget.

However, it's broken again. It no longer connects or pairs.

I've been messing with it for over an hour now. Read all the forum hints and tried all the suggested work arounds, uninstalled and re-installed the software. Nothing works.

It definitely needs some help in the software department.

Pairing and connecting with a bluetooth device should not be so difficult.

Last edited:

RKBA

I have the PW-60w unit inbound from Amazon. It should be here in time for my upcoming ATV trip on Thursday. Should be a good shakedown opportunity. I'll report back with a full rundown. Stay tuned....

ssssnake529

Explorer
After about an hour on the phone with Delorme tech support, they decided I may have a faulty/corrupted device. I'm sending it back to them. Hopefully, the replacement works.

cactusjk

Explorer
These are all great ideas but it appears although InReach uses Iridium, it is still not an Apple product and needs a lot more work.

After about an hour on the phone with Delorme tech support, they decided I may have a faulty/corrupted device. I'm sending it back to them. Hopefully, the replacement works.

ssssnake529

Explorer

Received the new device. This one seems to work. Paired and connected with my Android just like it should. Have tried it multiple times, and it seems to work well. Got my fingers crossed that it will continue working.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Received the new device. This one seems to work. Paired and connected with my Android just like it should. Have tried it multiple times, and it seems to work well. Got my fingers crossed that it will continue working.

Super! Looking forward to your experience using it.

RKBA

Ok guys, I am back from my shakedown of the new inreach system. I am VERY impressed!

Now, I have been using Delorme PN GPS units for years so the learning curve for the GPS features 60W was very steep and easy. They have made several improvements over the 20 model and I was very happy with it.

I subscribed to the $24.95/mo recreation plan that includes unlimited tracking and 40 messages per month.

Tracking:
I started the tracking on Thursday and ran it non stop till Saturday. Batteries are still going strong.

I set it to send track updates every 10 minutes. Every update provided a watcher with the following information:

"RKBA
Date: Sat Dec 31 2011 12:26:00
Type: Locate
Speed: 14 (mph)
Heading: 90 (deg)
Elevation: 7723 (ft)"

Before leaving, I sent out the link to family and friends so they could refer to it any time and see where I was. In 3 days it never missed an update. Very impressive.

Here is what it looks like to the observer. They just need to double click on the red dot to get the position info.

Trek.jpg

Messaging:
Android users have a big advantage here with the keyboard. The PN-60W unit uses the funky find and click keyboard but oh well. I'm not writing a book and had no problems.

id121bimg03.jpg

I sent messages to both cell numbers and email addresses with no problem. A text message sent to cell can be responded by just hitting reply. An email message is sent and received just like any other email but if the person wants to reply via email, they have to click on a link and type their message in the browser. It's that simple. I sent and received several messages on the trip with no problems and nothing got lost. I am now in complete 2 way contact with outside world when I am on my trips. I'm very pleased.

Hope this helps........... Rick

cactusjk

Explorer
Great news!

Now Delorme needs to get the iPhone edition done!

Ok guys, I am back from my shakedown of the new inreach system. I am VERY impressed!

Now, I have been using Delorme PN GPS units for years so the learning curve for the GPS features 60W was very steep and easy. They have made several improvements over the 20 model and I was very happy with it.

I subscribed to the $24.95/mo recreation plan that includes unlimited tracking and 40 messages per month.

Tracking:
I started the tracking on Thursday and ran it non stop till Saturday. Batteries are still going strong.

I set it to send track updates every 10 minutes. Every update provided a watcher with the following information:

"RKBA
Date: Sat Dec 31 2011 12:26:00
Type: Locate
Speed: 14 (mph)
Heading: 90 (deg)
Elevation: 7723 (ft)"

Before leaving, I sent out the link to family and friends so they could refer to it any time and see where I was. In 3 days it never missed an update. Very impressive.

Here is what it looks like to the observer. They just need to double click on the red dot to get the position info.

Trek.jpg

Messaging:
Android users have a big advantage here with the keyboard. The PN-60W unit uses the funky find and click keyboard but oh well. I'm not writing a book and had no problems.

id121bimg03.jpg

I sent messages to both cell numbers and email addresses with no problem. A text message sent to cell can be responded by just hitting reply. An email message is sent and received just like any other email but if the person wants to reply via email, they have to click on a link and type their message in the browser. It's that simple. I sent and received several messages on the trip with no problems and nothing got lost. I am now in complete 2 way contact with outside world when I am on my trips. I'm very pleased.

Hope this helps........... Rick

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Their blog is filled with people saying they want an iOS supported version. It will happen, but just not soon enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle