Delrin fairlead rollers still available?

soonenough

Explorer
Does anyone know if anyone still makes Delrin rollers for Warn roller fairleads? I know Viking used to offer them, but I can't find them on their site anymore (only the ones for Superwinch models here). I sent them an email but never received a response.

I looked on MasterPull's website, but they don't appear to offer anything. I found some on Alpha Expedition's website here, but they're just re-selling the Viking products and marking them up to nearly twice the price of buying them directly from Viking :(. So either Viking still makes them but doesn't sell them direct anymore, or Alpha Expeditions' website is out of date and they don't actually have them anymore because Viking stopped making them.

Anyone know another place that offers them? I found several places selling polyurethane rollers, but Delrin is a much better material IMO.

soonenough

Explorer
Thanks, Scott. Now I'm confused though - the Daystar website claims that their rollers will work with any manufacturer's fairlead. But on the Alpha Expedition page I linked in my original post, they have different versions with three different lengths of rollers. So I assume that Daystar's rollers are 7.5" in length, and if you have a fairlead that uses 7.92" or 8" rollers, there will just be slop in the longer fairleads?

Anyone know of a place to get the Delrin ones?

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Ryan, I can't answer your question about the lengths. I've not used these, I just remembered seeing or reading about them.

I wonder if McMaster-Carr would have bulk Delrin allowing you to make your own? Just a thought.

soonenough

Explorer
Well I just received a response from Viking saying they discontinued the Delrin rollers a while back and pointed me towards the Daystar ones.

I wonder if McMaster-Carr would have bulk Delrin allowing you to make your own? Just a thought.
They probably do, but unfortunately I'm guessing it would be cost-prohibitive to have a shop turn a single set of them. I'd be better off as far as $ goes to just buy the ones from Alpha Expeditions.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I've heard hard side pulls have ripped through some of those rollers over on the ih8mud forum. No personal experience though. Not sure if they were delrin or some poly roller thing.

Expedition Leader
Ordinary steel rollers work just fine w/ synthetic line, as long as they're not gouged up from previous steel wire line. I've never had my 3/8" synthetic line pull through the corners of the rollers.

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears