Expedition Leader
Staff member
For those of you who missed it, you can listen and view the presentation here:

thanks!

Last edited:

joski

Thank you! :)

Frederik & Josephine -

Thank you for sharing your story on the forum. I only wish that I had the ability (i.e. courage) to undertake the adventure(s) that that the two of you had undertaken and shared with us.

I enjoyed the live web presentation too. We all appreciate the time and effort that you have put into sharing your experiences. You are wonderful storytellers! :wings:

Thank you again and I will look forward your future postings with much interest.

Joe

willy1959

Thanks

I too registered on the forum just so that I could acknowledge and say thanks!

Thanks for taking the time to post this story, Awesome! Makes me want to trade my Tundra for a landcruiser ;) :victory:

tbone

Frederik & Josephine:

Great story about your travels in the DRC, and great presentation! I know this took up a lot of your time to write, and thank you for the time you spent on it. If you ever have any more down time, feel free to write about your other travels :)

Toyotero

Explorer
Thanks a lot to F&J for posting the trip report. I started reading it two days ago and spent about 8 hours downloading/reading it over a terrible internet connection (occasional 4000ms PING times to google!), and it was totally worth it :)

I must say that I was surprised when I read that you work in IT (explaining the internet to someone), I had suspected that you were a professional writer. BTW, had you not had photos, frankly, I don't think I could have believed the story :) While reading it, I must say that it reminded me of the story of Ernest Shackleton's voyage to Antartica in regards to being a series of extremely challenging circumstances and your impressive ability to overcome them.

Regarding their choices about winch, lockers, etc, etc, etc, to use business terms, it's all based on risk assessment, risk tolerance, and the self confidence that they could make it work no matter what... and, of course in this case, the type of trip that they desired (not to mention opportunity cost of a month of travel vs more hardware). They went to the DRC to be in the extreme and they took a lightly equipped LC to ensure that the experience was equally extreme. I'd say that they got what they were looking for.

ExpeditionsWest, you made an interesting observation... people interested in overlanding seem to come from two backgrounds: those who like to use vehicles to travel and those who like to travel and use vehicles to do it. That thought has caused me some introspection, and I'm a bit of both but definitely have some tendencies towards the former group when vehicles are involved... and as a result if that, I initially thought that they went somewhat unprepared for the circumstances. Or, you could say that I calculated the risk to be much higher, and my estimate was out of my tolerance range. Simply stated, the type of trip that they had is not what I'm ready for without a larger safety margin.. not yet anyhow ;-) But, as they say, the proof is in the pudding, they came out alive, healthy and with their vehicle... their risk assessment was right and their gamble has netted them an incredible experience and memories that they'll never forget... and a little internet fame it appears.

For those of you who missed it, you can listen and view the presentation here:

https://expeditionswest.webex.com/e...T=pb&SP=MC&rID=14454227&rKey=e385ed73aed82168

Could someone convert the interview to an MP4 or WMV file (There is the option in the webex software; file, convert format) and host it somewhere? Vimeo perhaps? I'm having an impossible time downloading the presentation; I suspect it's network related... Claro Nicaragua leaves much to be desired as an ISP (see statement about PING times... ugh...)

Regards,

Last edited:

thefirebuilds

Thanks for your writing. I enjoyed your adventure immensely. I will try to keep this in mind the next time I'm "marooned" on a interstate highway with my credit card, cell phone, GPS and piles of tools.

ZOOM-ZOOM

IMG_0028.JPG

twogone

Lurked for about a year... spotted this thread on Sportsmobile Forum... read the whole thing in two sittings... watched the discussion yesterday... registered to say "Amazing story and style, and Thanks to SMB and EP forums!"
Marc

nitason

i too watched the recorded podcast ....it however lest me with one question:
when is the book going to be up for sale? i am very hopeful that you will write it! please?

rdraider

Adventurer
Ok, i'm a little behind on the technology stuff, but....

That podcast or what ever it was, is awesome, thanks so much for making it happen guys! Can't wait for the others!

Harald Hansen

Explorer
I'll add my "thanks" to the chorus already present. I'll also say that I greatly enjoyed your writing style. Very human, very direct. You really should give writing a book a go!

icntdrv

Wow, just, wow.

I spent an entire evening reading over this thread, front to back, and managed to get several of my coworkers to read it too. We all agree that this trip is on the epic end of the scale.

Congratulations on a safe outcome, Frederik and Josephine, and kudos on writing a very interesting story. Reading something like this further tempts me to carry out a similar journey of my own. You have accomplished what most of us will spend the rest of our lives dreaming of.

Just a suggestion though, for any future travels through remote areas with spotty cellular coverage, I would recommend picking up a Motorola M900 Quad-band GSM Bag phone. 3Watts power and a rooftop antenna will get you coverage where handheld phones will fail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior