depression on my mod

irish1371

Adventurer
Welp I took about 4 months hunting for my jeep. I grabbed a 2006 low miles lj with an auto. Ended up with an auto after my last tj. After a few hitches in the Marines my left knee doesn't hold up to working a clutch all day on the trail.

Well the LJ's are hard to find especially with an auto. This one was red , so we grabbed it only thing it was missing was cruise control. I have just finished my research into cruise to find out mine is missing the factory plugs and wiring. It seems some jeeps come pre wired with the correct clock spring even if they did not come with cruise.

After searching the engine compartment for my factory plug I had to admit I was one of the unlucky ones. W/O the factory wires it becomes a pita to do the swap in. Goes from plug and play to rip and splice. I may go hunting for a wrecked cruise jeep and just take the whole durn harness and swap it in. Splicing wires is a pain for me being both types of color blind, so it is a real chore.

It seems it do this correctly you must have the clock spring with the cruise pig tails the correct year buttons for the steering wheel( diff yrs have diff resistances) the actuator and cable(speed control unit) vacuum line and wiring harness.

If you have the pig tail under the hood you should have the right clock spring and grab the speed control buttons , plug em in and away ya go. without the factory harness you have to splice the wires all the way to the ecu along with the speed sensor to the brake pedal.

Just jeeps has a full kit for 298 for the hard parts and another 300 for the wiring:( but it is factory when done.

If anyone has any other feed back on the possibility of retro in cruise for a 2006 lj then let me know please.

Being 6'2" in an Lj is a blessing to have cruise for the long road parts of a trip.

D

Deleted member 48574

A stick about 18 inches long to go between the seat and the gas pedal? :elkgrin: You could keep a 20 incher for the Interstate and a 12 incher for the trails?

Kidding of course!! But that does seem like a lot of work to add it without the plugs; bad luck.

Honestly though replacing a whole harness is quite hard, especially with a junk yard one as you never know what shorts/wear and tear exists on the wires. A knick that is caused when the harness is pulled from it's former owner can result in a dead critical component at the worst possible time.

Does a company like Painless Wiring have any options? They can be expensive too but it's just a thought.

Regards
Craig

JakeC

While looking for ways to implement cruise control on my brothers 90' XJ, I stumbled upon this: http://www.4x4xplor.com/handthrottle.html

It's used primarily for manuals in rough terrain areas where two feet just don't cut it.

But I've also seen it used for a DIY cruise control situation, though it may be safer in a manual as you can initially hit the clutch if anything goes awry.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/aftermarket-cruise-control-aka-hand-throttle-8829.html

Another one:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/diy-cruise-control-cable-actuated-throttle-lock-7624.html

Zeep

Adventurer
Sorry about your luck! My '05 was pre wired, so it was easy to install. I always assumed all the LJ's came pre wired.

en480c4

Observer
When I added cruise to my '05 Unlimited I had to add the overlay harness, but was all set with the clock spring. It wasn't difficult, just a little nerve wracking to add those wires into the PCM. Added a little over an hour to the install when compared to the install on my '04 Rubicon which was cruise-ready. I bought the cruise kit from Jeeps Are Us, but it didn't come with the overlay harness. I got that from someone on a forum who got it with an earlier kit which did include the extra wiring but had a pre-wired Jeep. At the time, Jeeps Are Us was working on sourcing a reproduction harness to sell with their kits. I don't know where they stand at this time. And a word of caution... If you get a overlay harness from someone make sure it's from a kit from the same year. The overlay harnesses vary by year. I had to wait a month to get the response I needed to my WTB thread at the time.

irish1371

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure about the clock spring yet but it seems I am missing the under hood plug. Total let down lol. was all hopped up to go snag parts and get it going.

Does anyone know if other model jeeps same yr will also work? jeeps seems to inter change alot of stuff so it would open up the donor field

en480c4

Observer
I don't think the donor vehicle route is a good one, unless you found one with a separate overlay harness. Otherwise the necessary wiring is part of a bigger main harness trunk. I was told (by those I trust) that the wiring was NOT the same between '03 and '06 models, and that I could expect problems if I got an overlay harness from the wrong year. If you were going the donor vehicle route, I'd suggest finding a wiring diagram for the appropriate wiring, get the plugs from the donor vehicle and wire it yourself.

Good luck!

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Shame I cant just take mine out and give it to you! I have cruise but with a stick shift, 35's and most of my trips headed north into the mountains of GA I never use cruise. I have had the Jeep like 2.5 years and maybe used cruise... twice?

hansonian

Observer
My 04 LJ automatic, came with cruise and I barely use it. The OD seems to have a fit with it so I tend to leave it off. I don't do a lot of highway driving so it doesn't really affect me. Although on my yearly trip to Sebring it comes in handy for those long stretches of boring road.

88Xj

Banned
Why not just a simple hand/finger throttle...I've got one on my 88. Its connected straight to my 5speed gear shift. Use it on trails mainly so I can use 1 foot for clutch & another for the brakes. And it comes in handy on the highway for cruising. Cost about 50 bucks from what I remember.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
First of all, Semper Fi and thanks for your service. I can only guess from your profile that you have had the pleasure of operating the Corps zodiacs, which I am familiar, although from a long time ago...

On to the point at hand. Rubicon Express used to make that hand throttle that folks are. I cannot find it on their website at the moment however. A bit of a Charlie Foxtrot solution for cruise control, but you are used to making things work outside their intended purpose... I am guessing :)

Best of luck with it.

John

irish1371

Adventurer
yea had one on my 98 for winch duty. I believe tera now sells the full kit for like 35 bucks. I would do that but with a 3 yr old who love to monkey around with everything I could see being the only guy in history to blow up multiple 4.0's due to a cranked open throttle at start up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears