Desert explorer, 04 ford ranger build

What are the opinions on the lockright locker? It's definitely in the budget and seems like a good option

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
Well you've got 'desert' in the title, so I'm gonna ask what your plans are for shade / shelter and water and shovels / self-extraction gear? All of that seems more important than screwing with the drivetrain.
I see an empty bed with lots of room for MWCs. Bonus points for mounting them in the shade under your 'pre-runner' style spare mount.

/chicken-egg or egg-chicken

eta - might as well toss in radio comms too for good measure. Tire puncture repair gear. On-board air pump. Good base vehicle to start with, smaller size will help evade some desert pinstriping.

Last edited:
The plan is a rtt and awning mounted on top of the bed cage. Probably fuel/water rotopax mounted on the side of cage, maxtrax on the other. Hilift jack under bed rail on one side shovel on the other. Rear bumper will have tire swing out with 2, 5gal water containers on it, winch on front bumper, camp lights mounted on 3 sides on top of bed cage. I've also got an idea for on board air where the factory spare goes. My axle needs repair anyways so I figured I would do a quick upgrade. Next on the list will be the bed rack, then suspension, then bumpers.

justcuz

Explorer
We installed a lock right in my sons 1993 Chevy Silverado. His is a light duty K2500 with a 6 lug 14 bolt semi float.
It does tend to try to lock up the inside tire on turns around street corners on acceleration and barks the tire a bit. Keeping that in mind and driving appropriately in wet weather it's been fine.

That's good to hear, the lockright is cheaper than the ls I was looking at anyways so looks like I'm getting the lockright locker! Also have the axle swap kit from ruff stuff on order to make this swap go easy.

Small update. I got all the mounts taken off, brakes being completely redone, threw my first beads to connect the housing to the tubes. Just waiting for parts to do the regear/locker.
21b7558ab6a30efe1fc5cd3630469531.jpg
a5069db1b77ab7b9e8d4ea5f155a68af.jpg

FWIW, I have the Auburn on my Chrysler 9.25 rear. I like it...behaves when not needed and actually works (within its design limits) when it is needed. Detroit TruTrac is something else you might want to consider...gears vs. clutch plates. Goos luck with your build. :sombrero:

FWIW, I have the Auburn on my Chrysler 9.25 rear. I like it...behaves when not needed and actually works (within its design limits) when it is needed. Detroit TruTrac is something else you might want to consider...gears vs. clutch plates. Goos luck with your build. :sombrero:
Thanks for the info. I ordered the lockright earlier today

Mike.rider

Observer
That will work for now for sure. The lock rights are interesting on the street but work well in the dirt. I went with an auburn ECTED in my 8.8 and will go ARB or e locker from my new build. Slap a set of 2" whee spacers on the expo axle and you will be very close to the same track width again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
Nice looking weld. Your build plans sound nice. I'd do something about water sooner rather than later, breaking down in the desert without it is not fun at all. That underbed spare location would be good for a water or aux fuel tank (in addition to the compressor).

That will work for now for sure. The lock rights are interesting on the street but work well in the dirt. I went with an auburn ECTED in my 8.8 and will go ARB or e locker from my new build. Slap a set of 2" whee spacers on the expo axle and you will be very close to the same track width again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm actually really excited to try out the new locker, this isn't a daily driver so it doesn't have to be perfect on the street. Eventually I will have arb air lockers, but that won't be for a few years.

Nice looking weld. Your build plans sound nice. I'd do something about water sooner rather than later, breaking down in the desert without it is not fun at all. That underbed spare location would be good for a water or aux fuel tank (in addition to the compressor).
Thanks! Yeah water is a big deal out in the desert, I have been using some cheap water containers for a while and never have a problem. I usually go out with at least 15 gallons but I plan on being able to carry more. when I have the rotopax, milspec water cans and the cheap water all combined that adds up to about 30 gallons max. Think that will be good or should I plan around carrying more? The more water I carry the less fuel I will be able to carry.

justcuz

Explorer
Remember, water is heavier than fuel. Water is 8.35 lbs per gallon, gas is about 6.5. I usually plan about a gallon a person per day for consumption. Rarely do I go on a trip even in Death Valley that I can't stop by Warm Springs for a shower and a soak after a couple days out in the desert. Water for hygiene purposes is usually around in campgrounds and you can kind of plan around it. I have collapsible 2 gallon jugs with a spigot for tooth brushing and wetting a washcloth for morning face washing. Usually after 3-5 days I am ready for a shower or a dip in a lake, river or hotsprings to clean up. My Suburban has a large fuel tank and the last time we did the Mojave road, I only used a quarter of a tank, so I rarely take any extra fuel with me unless I am using the pickup.
A couple years ago we went to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. We went in at Mesquite and it rained that night with snow in the higher elevations. We originally wanted to go to Toroweep, but the mud and snow caused the road to be muddy enough that our fuel consumption suffered. At Mt Trumball Schoolhouse we decided to regroup. We divided up what gas we had amongst the 4 vehicles and barely made it out to St George. I spent $40.00 at the coin op car wash and still did not get all the mud off the truck before heading home! My point is plan your trips and expect the unexpected even for a 3 or 4 day trip. You can go a day without water, running out of gas 60 miles from nowhere is worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger