Detailed camping, tool and spares kit for D1

colvere

Observer
Its almost janurary and I need to get cracking on a detailed camping, tool and spares kit for the truck. I have been sorting out all of the basic maintenance and cosmetic stuff on my new to me 99 SD D1. I have searched and found mechanical spares and tools but would like to see what some of you carry in your camping kit. My D1 does have an adventure rack so a a list of items you carry on your rack would be nice. I do backpack and have two packs that are ready to go at a moments notice but would like to have a nice overland camp kit that stays in the D1. I plan on spending as many weekends as possible in 2012 living in it.

atancreti

Observer
It depends where your going. Some guys that go rock crawling carry extra drive shafts. I would recommend a nice compact shovel for starters. I also have a flare gun just because you never know when your out of cell phone range and in the middle of nowhere.... and the unthinkable happens.

fishEH

Explorer
Bam! http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/33806-Critical-Spares-List-Discovery-I
I carry:
Front and rear rebuilt driveshafts
F & R axle halfshafts with CV's
MAF
CkPS
Wheel bearings
TRE's
Thermostat
Coil Pack
Brake light switch
Variable Speed Sensor
Tensioner Pulley
Misc nuts/bolts
Hub nut socket
oil filter wrench
and a whole lot of other stuff I am probably forgetting.

I built a shelf that ALL my spares and tools fit under. Its actually more like a raised floor. Which really makes sense considering most of the D1 cargo space is vertical.

As far as camping I don't have a set list. I do a lot of camping and every trip is different. I have camp stoves ranging from alcohol buring Pepsi cans to a 3oz Snowpeak that burns isobutane to a double burner Coleman. All depends on the trip. Same goes for just about every other piece of camping gear.

colvere

Observer
Not so much on the rock crawling I am more of 2.5 trail guy on my way to somplace remote for back packing, hunting or fishing. So more overland high mountain desert terrain, Utah, Idaho, Nevada, and montana is were I spend most of my time off road. Some things that I do carry from being a past disco owner is a MAF, coil pack, maf cleaner, Hub nut tool, standard tool set with breaker bar. I grew up on a ranch in idaho and you are given a handyman jack at birth. Straps, gloves, clevis (assorted), swiss bow saw. My old discovery did not have a rack and I have never been out with anybody that does uttilize a roof rack. I think I would be tempted to put to much stuff on the rack. I do have a few smaller cases (storm) that I do carry tool raps and spares, but would like to know what others are storing on the rack and limited load space for short 2 day to week long outings in a disco. I was thinking I would like to have some kind of storage for tents, groundcover and other larger items for family outings.

colvere

Observer
Fish, I carry some of your list but because I am not the crawling type, half shafts and axles are a strech for me. In my last disco I built a drawer system and a shelf probably pretty close to your description. but my new to me project comes with a roof rack so I think I want to take advantage of that space in an organized way this time around. I found that once my old drawer and shelf system was full (the essentials) on the last one then I just stacked things like water jugs coolers sleeping bags, tent, and chairs in a jumbled mess on top. I also want to keep most of the items in it all the time because sometimes the fish are realy bitting or the river is just the rite flow for optimum rafting and I want to stay for another day.

ArmyRover

Adventurer
Brett I knew I saw you heading out to wheel the other day. I just didn't realize you had repainted the truck blue...

:bike_rider:

Attachments

• rental_pictures_264.jpg
    rental_pictures_264.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 6

fishEH

Explorer
Bill you're too funny! Just don't be asking to borrow anything on the trail when you break something. :sombrero:

Atancreti, the RTT isn't for everybody. I personally don't care for them, not my style. They add a lot of weight to the very top of your vehicle, are bulky, and you have to break camp everyday or everytime you want to run somewhere in your truck. I like my 2 man tent that stuffs down to a volleyball size bag.

fishEH

Explorer
Here's my raised floor. You'd be surprised what little room the driveshafts and axles take up. They sit horizontally under the raised floor just behind the rear seats. It's kind of an oddly shaped area that not much else would fit well in.
utf-8BSU1BRzAwMTAuanBn.jpg

colvere

Observer
Fish if that picture was a white 97 SD I would say it was a picture of my old DI. But that is what I want to get away from. It never fails somthing is always being stuffed in the cracks the last minute. Then every time you get into it somthing falls out or gets dirty. So my goal is to take whats in that picture and divide it between the roof and vailable storage. I have been looking for both soft and hard storage containers that are easy to strap down and take the weather on the rack. So any feed back from community would be great.

fishEH

Explorer
Yeah, that was this summer on a trip to the Wilds in Ohio. Me, my wife, and three kids. I actually have one of those Yakima carbo boxes but I didn't want to mess with it. Normally it doesn't look like that. I try to pack light and fast.

fishEH

Explorer
Almost forgot, brake line.
The space between the windshield and dash is perfect for storing two 36-48" lengths of 3/16" Bubble Flare brake line. They are flexible enough to conform to the gentle curve of the dash yet remain straight when removed. I also keep a few compression fittings in my spares box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998