"Detailing" prior to sale: Have you done it? Worth the $$?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So after our 5000+ mile road trip (and several shorter ones this year) with our new T@B trailer I've decided that as much as I like the 4runner, it's just not a suitable tow vehicle, so I'm going to put it up for sale probably some time after the camping season is over (which for us will the Thanksgiving.)
I know Toyotas do well on the used market but I learned when I sold my 3rd gen in 2012 that the more "modified" a vehicle is the less it appeals to the used market. So I've decided to remove all of the easily removable "mods" I've made like the custom bumper, seat covers, Yakima rack, etc. Fortunately, when I had the new bumper fabricated I kept all the old parts in the loft in my garage so I'll put those back on, to include the factory fog lamps.
The "mods" I won't remove will be the ones that are impractical to remove like the FJ Cruiser lift and the FJC steel wheels (I already sold the factory alloys), the trans cooler, the aftermarket stereo, etc.
I may or may not put the running boards back on (I still have them after unsuccessfully trying to sell them), it depends on whether I have the bolts or not (I should have kept them but not sure where they are) and whether they will clear the BFG 265/70/17 tires I put on.
My question for the group is this: Have you ever had a vehicle "detailed" professionally prior to sale? If so, how much did you pay and did you think it was worth the money spent? In my case, my biggest concern is the paint - for some reason the SRP (Maroon) paint seems to scratch and chip very visibly and I'm thinking if I could have the exterior buffed and rubbed out with rubbing compound, it would make a lot of those little scratches disappear. I also wouldn't mind having the inside professionally cleaned and particularly the engine compartment which is filthy.
Obviously I could do some of this myself (except the paint buffing - I've never done that and would be reluctant to start now) but if the cost was low enough and/or if the payoff (in the form of a higher resale price) was high enough, I'd be willing to pay to have it done.
Anyway, I'd appreciate any input people might have regarding this. I'm not in a hurry, as the 4runner is 'adequate' for its current towing duties, it's just not what I want and since it's approaching 140k miles, I think I would want to replace it soon anyway.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I think you're on the right track with removing what mods you can. If you don't want to put the running boards back on, you can still advertise them with the truck, just in case someone wants to through them on later. The cooler may actually be one of the few mods that would actually increase price, since it helps improve the dependability of the truck. If you have any receipts/warranties on the mods that won't be removed, be sure to include those in your ad.

As far as detailing goes, cleaning up the interior goes a long way. I wouldn't worry too much about the engine compartment, unless the dirt you're talking about is a bunch of mud from off roading, then it may be a good idea. Also, if your engine is covered in grease/oil, then you should go ahead and clean it yourself. Most manual car washes have a degreasing setting on the spray hose for such reasons. I'd soak it down with a good degreaser of your choice first, then take it to a car wash and rinse it off. It doesn't need to sparkle, but you want to remove any oil and grease which can lead to fires down the road. As far as the paint goes, I wouldn't worry too much. With a lift, you can't really sell it as a street queen anyways, so a good wash and maybe a wax to remove the worst scratches would be all I'd do. If you have any bare metal showing, be sure to cover that with some color match paint before waxing.

Its just not worth it to pay someone to detail an off road/trail truck, which is what you're selling. Clean it up, sure, but do it yourself.

nater

Adventurer
People love a truck that is clean when they are buying, it gives them the feeling that the previous owner took care of it. I would call around to different detailing shops, explain what you want, and ask for some general prices. For a midsized SUV, my area would charge 350-450 depending on the work. In my opinion, you may not recoup all of that money on the sale, but it sure as heck will make it sell faster.

That being said, paint correction has never been easier for a beginner, and with the money you would spend on the pro detail and a weekend, you could do a great job on your rig, and have the tools for next time. Either way, I am for getting it cleaned up and for sale.

GR8ADV

Explorer
I quite often have them detailed prior to sale. One, they show better, and two, it is just a nice thing to do.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Curious but how much are people paying for a full detail? I just Googled a few of the companies here in Denver, for some reason they seem reluctant to post prices, I would guess because this is a highly competitive local industry.

Bigunit

Adventurer
$150 gets you a great detail job here in Tucson and includes a steam clean of the engine bay. I get my rig detailed once a year.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
Simple green or similar ( full strength) sprayed around a slightly warm engine compartment, let soak 5-10 mins, moisten with a little water, take a soft / medium nylon bristle brush to the accessible engine and underhood areas . Spray with with a regular hose nozzle. May have to repeat a few particularly greasy areas.
Interior - cloth or leather? If leather, wash and treat with leather stuff. Cloth, be careful, but there are products to use. Look for stains and be careful to not create more stains/ different levels of clean on the cloth. Vacuum everywhere, California dash duster on all hard surfaces. Wash inside all door edges and mating door support areas, and apply the detail cleaner used as clay lubricant.
Exterior - wash with car soap with soft bristle brush (i recommend Griot's boar bristle brush - cost may stop your heart). Dry with The Absorber, artificial chamois. Get a clay kit, some Auto Magic Clay, New Car Glaze, and some Autowax wax. There may be a certain color wax for your Maroon car color. Do this in the shade. Clay the exterior of the glass, amazing.
There are a zillion opinions on what brand wax. I was trained by a BMW/Porsche/hummer/Subaru dealer who had a full detail department with 12 employees that was very successful and always busy. So I use Auto Magic products.
On my personal car, the clay/polish/wax evolution would be done 1 or 2 panels per night, LF fender and maybe the L door, then LR fender and tailgate., etc. as long as the car did not get driven in the rain. If driven, wash the area and chamois, then clay/p/w. When all panels c/p/w complete, do one complete wax application at one time. Will be very nice, I can assure you. the Red LWB cargo Econoline was good exercise when I did that vehicle. The TJ was far easier.
Also, put vehicle on jack stands, remove wheels, wash frame, inside fenders, suspension, and back side of wheels. Reassemble.
Try a discreet but scratched area, as a test. You will probably be amazed at the significant improvement, and not using power equipment. If not satisfied, stop and go to detailer.
Do not put shiny spray stuff in the engine compartment on the rubber hoses/pieces. It will look overdone. When I see one of those, I run away.
I hope this lengthy reply will help you make a decision. I would be glad to demonstrate, but location is a bit far. I did this to my LJ Rubicon, provate sale. Buyer noticed, commented amazing condition, did not squabble over price.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
You always want to make the truck look as good as possible before selling. The first thing people see is the paint. I've always done the detailing myself. It's easy to do just takes some time and effort. If you don't have either of those, I'd pay to have someone do it.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I don't spend so much time on the paint, just make sure exterior is clean and plastics are treated, but the engine and interior I make squeaky clean - blower, shop vac, damp rags, toothbrushes, q tips get involved :) Plus I've always found detailing, in nice weather, with some good tunes and a few cold ones, a pleasant and relaxing way to spend an afternoon. I clean the weatherstripping and the hard to reach parts of the door jambs, etc - stuff most people never clean.

When the buyer shows up and exclaims, "oh my god, this car is beautiful! Wow." Not such a good preamble to bargaining the price down :)

I usually have a full tank of gas and fresh oil change, etc. Nothing for them to do and a nice gesture. Small beans in the grand scheme of things.

ripperj

Explorer
I personally don't care too much about detailing when I'm shopping, unless it's covered in dirt you can tell whether the paint is good and just needs wash and wax, or trashed.
I kind of like buying something that looks like crap and making it look new, whether it's a car or a tool.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

BPMOU

Observer
Check out groupon. I used a detailer out of Parker, CO two years ago and I paid 150 for a suburban and it was a groupon deal.

vicali

Adventurer
Most people are terrible at taking are of their cars and trucks, it doesn't really take very much to make yours stand out when you are selling it. Wash and wax, vacuum out the inside, and give the engine a once over with a mf and some simple green.

I've sold six cars privately, and helped family and friends with theirs. Every time I've gotten comments on how clean they were, and never had offers less than $500 from asking.. So it's always been worth it to me.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Most people are terrible at taking are of their cars and trucks, it doesn't really take very much to make yours stand out when you are selling it. Wash and wax, vacuum out the inside, and give the engine a once over with a mf and some simple green.

I've sold six cars privately, and helped family and friends with theirs. Every time I've gotten comments on how clean they were, and never had offers less than $500 from asking.. So it's always been worth it to me.

In Oklahoma, just having the title seems to be enough to make a car stand out. It always amazes me at the piles of cr@$ people try to sell without title like its the last of its kind or something.

Danimal

Adventurer
Steam cleaning the engine bay and visible areas of the undercarriage is definitely worth it as well. If nothing else, spending the money on a paint polishing and steam clean may help differentiate the rig from the others and help it sell quicker.

Detail the interior yourself, it's an afternoon's worth of work.

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman