Detroit Eaton True Trac - How do they work?

roving1

I don't really agree with the instability in snow part on all except the slickest black ice type of thing on an off camber off ramp from a dead stop. Other wise the extra traction will tend to move you forward before the yaw event happens. I mean open diffs can provide the ultimate stability by spinning the unloaded tires and not moving the vehicle forward at all right? :) At any rate the predictability of behavior of the Truetrac outweighs any perceived disadvantage of an open diff in my opinion. An open diff can go from one wheel spinning to both spinning and full oppo steering needed to correct tricking a lot of people into a false sense of stability.

My main winter car is a 20 year old RWD Tacoma that had an open diff for the first 1/3 of its life and I would never go back to an open diff for any snowy situation.

Also it's totally possible to use the regular brakes to bias the diffs in a manual trans vehicle. You can also use the parking brake if it is just the rear diff you are trying to help out.

Here I am on some mogul like holes still at street pressure so I can exacerbate the loss of traction to video the Truetracs at work. Soon as I apply the brake I drive right out.

Same here can't quite climb the rock out of the mud hole and a little brake application at 43:51 and it pops right out.

Nice summary video though. Truetracs are often misunderstood and overlooked. Cost is a factor as well. I installed 2 Truetracs and regeared the diffs for the cost of what one selectable locking diff would cost.

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
I've got them front and rear in my truck, and I love them. The truck seems unstoppable in the snow in 4WD, and you don't notice them in 2WD. I feel much more confident off-road and in the snow in the truck than when I did with open diffs front and rear.

Truck.1.jpg

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2/auto, 2" lift, 285/75/16" tires, 4.10 gears, ARE top. ~235,000 miles on the odometer.

twodollars

These style diffs work very well if the Vehicle happens to have a brake based traction control system, for obvious reasons. But some food for thought

dirtnsmores

I'm looking into these. I have a 2wd Tacoma and just want some extra insurance when remote camping. Locker is pricey and more for the rare off camber situations. I think this will be useful in more situations

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've got them front and rear in my truck, and I love them. The truck seems unstoppable in the snow in 4WD, and you don't notice them in 2WD. I feel much more confident off-road and in the snow in the truck than when I did with open diffs front and rear.

View attachment 654753

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2/auto, 2" lift, 285/75/16" tires, 4.10 gears, ARE top. ~235,000 miles on the odometer.
I always loved those shortbed 4x4's. Mountain goats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78