Dexter 3500lb axle, let's talk brakes!

JKChad

Observer
So I'm about ready to order a new axle/hubs with brakes for my camping trailer build. I'm going to run 6 lug, 6 x 5.5 pattern, to match my tow vehicle, 05 Tahoe.

Little background on my trailer. It's a custom built 4' x 6.5' with 17.75" tall side utility trailer. The frame is 2"x4"x.250" steel C channel along with the vertical side wall supports. The inner side walls are .250" plate aluminum. This trailer was custom built by my grandfather 30+ years ago. It's very sturdy and I will be doing a full restoration on it, including a custom frame tag of my grandfather's brand logo to pay respects to him. He was a machinist by trade and built many custom clocks and some amazing furniture peices as a hobby. I'm currently guessing it's weight to be in the 600-800 lb range. It will have a custom adjustable cargo rack built to support my CVT Mt. Rainer extended rooftop tent. Future plans include metal cover, water storage, propane, and deep cycle battery with solar charging.

My current dilemma, I want the trailer to have brakes and recently discovered that Dexter and axle tec, who is a little cheaper, makes the 10" x 2.25" brake assembly with a parking brake option.

The Dexter unit with parking brake features will cost me about $100 more than the standard unit, axle tec will be about $50 more, and will require manual adjustment. Plus I will have the added cost of the parking brake mechanism.

The non-parking brake unit saves me money and also self adjust.

Am I over thinking this? I've pulled many trailers and spent years living in campers while traveling for work. It seems like the the parking brake feature would really come in handy for trailer stability while parked and obviously add an extra layer of safety.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I will update the thread with part numbers and any other informative data for those who might be wondering the same.

Thanks,
Chad

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Hi Chad,

I have the parking brakes on my military trailers and really like them. In a camping situation where you might have to drop the trailer and turn it around by hand type thing, I'd think they would come in handy.

Ron

JKChad

Observer
Hi Chad,

I have the parking brakes on my military trailers and really like them. In a camping situation where you might have to drop the trailer and turn it around by hand type thing, I'd think they would come in handy.

Ron

So, after thinking about it and writing it out. I plan to order my axle with brake flanges and hold off on the brakes, initially. I want to do it once and do it right. After buying my RTT last weekend, I think my wife might kill me if I went all out on the axle setup right after the big tent purchase. I'm definitely going to do the manual parking brake. To many benefits, IMO, not to do it.

JKChad

Observer
Yeah, getting my wife to agree to any of it was a shock. So, i'm gonna tread lightly as I can. Getting my adjustable RTT rack built first of next week. From there, the trailer will be functional. Also planning to start the frame recon this weekend. Gonna strip is down and hit it with some good primer to get it all back to once decent color for now till I decide what i want the final end product to be.

M725rob

Kabob1865

Smart move adding brakes to your trailer. I have the self adjust brakes, no complaints. I'm sure they have saved me from an accident several times. I don't have parking brakes on my trailer. There have been several times when I wish I did, especially when I am alone and need to maneuver the trailer on foot into a tight unlevel spot. We use rubber wheel chocks front and back.

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
What I did was ordered the 3,500 axle ¼ wall custom. I used the 6000# outers instead of the 3500# outers to get the bigger bearings.
The electric break with the parking break is a perfect setup and easy peasy to install...
Also remember if your wheel doesn't fit the hub it is best to use hub centric spacers too... Good luck with your build...
Heres mine..

Attachments

• Trailer spring axle.jpg
    Trailer spring axle.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 29

JKChad

Observer
What I did was ordered the 3,500 axle ¼ wall custom. I used the 6000# outers instead of the 3500# outers to get the bigger bearings.
The electric break with the parking break is a perfect setup and easy peasy to install...
Also remember if your wheel doesn't fit the hub it is best to use hub centric spacers too... Good luck with your build...
Heres mine..
I will be ordering hub centric rings to size up the Dexter hubs to my GM 6 lug wheels I just picked up today. Would you care to share what you used for the manual parking brake? I've sourced a few options, but always looking for new ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

alia176

Explorer
So I'm about ready to order a new axle/hubs with brakes for my camping trailer build. I'm going to run 6 lug, 6 x 5.5 pattern, to match my tow vehicle, 05 Tahoe.

Little background on my trailer. It's a custom built 4' x 6.5' with 17.75" tall side utility trailer. The frame is 2"x4"x.250" steel C channel along with the vertical side wall supports. The inner side walls are .250" plate aluminum. This trailer was custom built by my grandfather 30+ years ago. It's very sturdy and I will be doing a full restoration on it, including a custom frame tag of my grandfather's brand logo to pay respects to him. He was a machinist by trade and built many custom clocks and some amazing furniture peices as a hobby. I'm currently guessing it's weight to be in the 600-800 lb range. It will have a custom adjustable cargo rack built to support my CVT Mt. Rainer extended rooftop tent. Future plans include metal cover, water storage, propane, and deep cycle battery with solar charging.

My current dilemma, I want the trailer to have brakes and recently discovered that Dexter and axle tec, who is a little cheaper, makes the 10" x 2.25" brake assembly with a parking brake option.

The Dexter unit with parking brake features will cost me about $100 more than the standard unit, axle tec will be about $50 more, and will require manual adjustment. Plus I will have the added cost of the parking brake mechanism.

The non-parking brake unit saves me money and also self adjust.

Am I over thinking this? I've pulled many trailers and spent years living in campers while traveling for work. It seems like the the parking brake feature would really come in handy for trailer stability while parked and obviously add an extra layer of safety.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I will update the thread with part numbers and any other informative data for those who might be wondering the same.

Thanks,
Chad

I ordered the Dexter axle (leaf springs) with the E brake and mechanical parking brake for the Kamparoo. That was couple of years ago and I have yet to follow through with the parking brake installation part of the project!!! Time for me to hit the junk yard and see what I can come up with!

JKChad

Observer
I ordered the Dexter axle (leaf springs) with the E brake and mechanical parking brake for the Kamparoo. That was couple of years ago and I have yet to follow through with the parking brake installation part of the project!!! Time for me to hit the junk yard and see what I can come up with!
I just placed my order though R and P carriages. $301 plus shipping out the door. Dexter easy lube 3500lb axle, 6 lug hub's, electric brakes with manual parking brake backing plate. Really great company to work with!

M725rob

I just placed my order though R and P carriages. $301 plus shipping out the door. Dexter easy lube 3500lb axle, 6 lug hub's, electric brakes with manual parking brake backing plate. Really great company to work with!

Yeah, good people and great prices.

honda250xtitan

bump bump...I wired up my electric brakes on my trailer the other day. I know it's getting power as I can hear the springs engage when i pull the manual tabs in my Ford. With the gain turned all the way up, i get zero resistance...SOOO this just means I need to adjust the brakes, correct? Adjust till i can't turn the wheels, back off the adjustment so it just barely drags on the brakes? Then do the "brake" in procedure (lol)

JKChad

Observer
bump bump...I wired up my electric brakes on my trailer the other day. I know it's getting power as I can hear the springs engage when i pull the manual tabs in my Ford. With the gain turned all the way up, i get zero resistance...SOOO this just means I need to adjust the brakes, correct? Adjust till i can't turn the wheels, back off the adjustment so it just barely drags on the brakes? Then do the "brake" in procedure (lol)
Yeah, that's what I needed to do and after about 50 miles of driving, they settled in and I had to turn my controller all the way down to like 2.1-2.3 to not get tire lock up. Figuring out that setting was quite funny. 265 AT tires are loud as hell when they lock up! I've had some people look like they saw death when it happened beside their cars. ********!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan