Dextero Walmart tire review

MontySquareo

I bought 2 dextero dat1 (265/75/16 E) tires from Walmart back in August. So far I'm pretty happy with them. They make a faint whine at high speed, which changes into a hum below 50mph or so. They do good in gravel and really shallow mud, and are grippier than the coopers from 2017 on the front. I haven't driven in the rain since I bought them, and so far they only have about 1000 miles on them. I bought them for $120 per tire, and the reason I picked them over the better options was because they were cheap and I only drive about 4000 miles a year, so they don't need to be a long wearing tire, they just need to hold air and do the trails you can do in a stock Montero. So far they haven't worn noticably, and they ride softer than the really old 10 ply michelins they replaced.

These tires are made by GT radial, and I think they're the same as their 3pmsf rated adventuro ATX. The dexteros don't have the 3pmsf symbol though, but it's probable that they would pass the snowflake test if gt radial wanted to test them.

I'll update this thread someday...

Attachments

• IMG_20231017_154523474_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231017_154523474_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20231017_154448225_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231017_154448225_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 32

Ralph_Fonz

I have a hard time trusting walmart mechanics due to them using an impact to tighten or changing oil. So I would ask them to simply mount and I go and torque them down. FYI. Nothing like having lugs pop off while driving (my experience)

MontySquareo

I have a hard time trusting walmart mechanics due to them using an impact to tighten or changing oil. So I would ask them to simply mount and I go and torque them down. FYI. Nothing like having lugs pop off while driving (my experience)
i brought my rims into Walmart and left the car at home. they need your vin number if you want a road hazard warranty though, and sometimes (depending on who's running the tire center) they wont mount non oem size tires. my only complaint is the lady at the service desk didn't know how to write up the order for my tires, but she figured it out eventually.

rruff

Explorer
S speed rated for E load is pretty good. 2 ply sidewall. The company is based in Singapore but I doubt they are made there. Is a country of origin listed?

rruff

Explorer
I have a hard time trusting walmart mechanics due to them using an impact to tighten or changing oil.
They used torque wrenches on mine when they balanced them. Took them forever, though... definitely got the impression that they were clueless. And I guess they ran out of stick-on weights and put a couple clip-ons on my aluminum rims.

MontySquareo

S speed rated for E load is pretty good. 2 ply sidewall. The company is based in Singapore but I doubt they are made there. Is a country of origin listed?
I had to look up the plant number (1y9 i think) they're made in Indonesia. Also I got mine in August and the date code is from January, so they spend some time on a shelf before you get them.

Also it might just be me getting used to them but the faint whine seems to be disappearing.

Edit: gt radial does have a plant in the US, i don't know if they make any Walmart tires there.

Last edited:

MontySquareo

just took them up crown king, no damage to the dexteros. there's a boulder field in a river bottom, and the river was flowing so the rocks were slippery and they got ran against some sharp rocks. i have some old coopers on the front tires, and lost a chunk of tread all the way down to the belts, so 2 more dexteros might be in my near future. i don't want to buy more tires because I'm going to live in Canada for 2 years and can't take the Montero with me.

the dexteros are good in shallow snow on top of dirt, and ok on wet river rocks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior