diamond in the rough

wannaby

Adventurer
Just picked up this baby real cheap today wondering what to do with it.
High miles.needs a bit of work runs good . but just one question it is an 1981 probably the first years fuel injected chevy 350 and I think turbo 400 trans as it has overdrive.
If the motor needs replacing I have an old 350 LT1. that I built for a hot rod project years ago sitting in the shed just wondering if I have to will it bolt up and will the fuel injected manifold fit.

Attachments

• IMG_2383.jpg
    IMG_2383.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2384.jpg
    IMG_2384.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2385.jpg
    IMG_2385.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2386.jpg
    IMG_2386.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2387.jpg
    IMG_2387.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2388.jpg
    IMG_2388.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2389.jpg
    IMG_2389.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2390.jpg
    IMG_2390.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 40

89s rule

Adventurer
I thought lt1 has a different flow pattern than the traditional sbc ? I think that the current mentality is that if your going to tackle something that in depth go with a lsx based swap. 5.3, etc

wannaby

Adventurer
Hmmm.....don't know much about an lsx quick search says newer crate engine and different fuel management system.
just trying to do this on the cheap since I am already into the van for $300.00
is it possible to use my lt1 engine and maybe go back to carburation....no emissions tests where I live.
anyways started scrubing her down today boy what a job trying to get that maple tree snot off.

89s rule

Adventurer
Not sure about converting an lt1 to carb but found this link.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/small-blo.../1425254-converting-lt1-carb-distributor.html

Everything I have heard about lt1 is you might s well stay old school sbc unless it's a fuel injection setup. If your starting from scratch and have the $$ / skill go with the lsx swap. More power better mpg and possibly cheaper if you are a DIY guy.

You can get a sbc for about the same as a lt1 but with less headache. I would personally sell the lt1 and either stick with what's in the van/lower mileage sbc swap. Or go with a lsx and get all the benefits listed above. This could all depend on what the project is for and how deep you want to get into it.

arlon

Adventurer
Unless it has a serious issue I'd change fluids, belts, hoses and just start driving it. That could be a seriously low buck camping machine. Paint thinner or lighter fluid make short work of tree sap. (-:}

philos

Explorer
Unless it has a serious issue I'd change fluids, belts, hoses and just start driving it. That could be a seriously low buck camping machine. Paint thinner or lighter fluid make short work of tree sap. (-:}

+1
WD40 works great on sap too.

colierar

Observer
Your LT1 will bolt right up, to the tranny(which if it has overdrive, its a 700R4 not a TH400). Should bolt right up to the FI too. Although the FI might not be enough if the LT1 is built. Carb swap is easy if you want to go that route.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Butter/oil also remove tree sap.

The angle of the center manifold studs are different between new and old SBC heads (don't know year they switched to vertical studs), there are ways around that if applicable in your case... Worst case an adaptor plate to mount EFI to a carb intake. I'd keep EFI and have the chip reprogrammed if need be.

86cj

Explorer
That van is perfect for a camper..............
Your van must be a 1987 the first year of the fuel injected Vortec small block, I think that is the year the angle of the heads intake changed. If the TBI 350 runs good it will out perform your old LT1 under almost all conditions, the old LT1 will not be happy pushing that van when in OD and the convertor locks up. That roller cam TBI 350 is the most reliable 350 ever built, it will out last at least a couple 700R4's. I think the Vortec heads and TBI will fit your old LT1 but will have to much compression and your cam won't be right...........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998