Diamondback Haanjo Flatbar?

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Anyone looked at the DB Hannjo Flatbar? Looking for a do it all bike (except mountain biking in truly rough stuff) and this looks like a decent option. Thoughts?

reachdean

Observer
This looks like an interesting bike. Nice to see such big tires - those will help in taking this bike most anywhere. What led you to this particular bike?

There are a few concerns that may or may not matter to you.

1. The posture as the bike is set up in the photos on the DB site is really aggressive, which is fine if you want to ride hard, but I suspect you'll want to lift the handlebars for a more comfortable ride. Drop bars (road bike style) make a big difference when the posture is so aggressive. However, flip the stem on this bike and put the spacers underneath the stem and that should help. YMMV.

2. There's limited options for mounting racks/fenders. On the fork, there's no eyelets for a low rider rack. On the rear, there's only one lower eyelet, which means you'll have to choose between a rear rack or a fender (or get creative with mounting, also possible). If you're not interested in mounting racks or fenders, it doesn't matter.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Looks like what was called a "hybrid" back in the day...would be a fun urban trail ripper or commuter but IMO I would seek out a used cyclocross bike off ebay or CL for the same or less money...you would not get the disc brakes for that price but in our climate rim brakes are fine and you would get a better specd bike...Cross nationals were last month so the pickings should be good this time of year...

Flagster

Expedition Leader
This looks like an interesting bike. Nice to see such big tires - those will help in taking this bike most anywhere. What led you to this particular bike?

Big as in diameter or width? The spec I am looking at says 32c width? Those are pretty squirrely IMO on anything more than tacky grass or groomed dirt/gravel

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader

There are a few concerns that may or may not matter to you.

1. The posture as the bike is set up in the photos on the DB site is really aggressive, which is fine if you want to ride hard, but I suspect you'll want to lift the handlebars for a more comfortable ride. Drop bars (road bike style) make a big difference when the posture is so aggressive. However, flip the stem on this bike and put the spacers underneath the stem and that should help. YMMV.

2. There's limited options for mounting racks/fenders. On the fork, there's no eyelets for a low rider rack. On the rear, there's only one lower eyelet, which means you'll have to choose between a rear rack or a fender (or get creative with mounting, also possible). If you're not interested in mounting racks or fenders, it doesn't matter.

I get a deal on DB bikes so my cost is much lower on their bikes. I used to have a Bianchi Advantage which was very similar to this bike just 25+ years old. I wore it out commuting daily 7 miles one way for 3 years plus recreation riding so I sold it before I moved. Now I need a new bike as it is my preferred exercise couple with hiking/kayaking.

1. Ya the seat is way too high in the pics. I wouldn't ride nearly that aggressive. I also hate drop bars, if I did switch bars it would be to a touring/butterfly style but I like flats just fine.
2. I can't commute by bike anymore due to distance so I don't really need a rear rack. I do like having fenders.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Big as in diameter or width? The spec I am looking at says 32c width? Those are pretty squirrely IMO on anything more than tacky grass or groomed dirt/gravel

Ya it's very similar to a hybrid which is what I typically ride, I don't get caught up in the whole gravel/cyclocross/hybrid very specific designations. The stock tires are 40 but can fit larger.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Good spect'd bike, toss some Schwalbe marathon plus 40 tires to tour with or go full expo with the Schwalbe Landcruisers. I like the Panaracer firecross 45 up in the mucky rainforest I call home. Next step is getting it outfitted with Bedrock Bags.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Ended up with a Diamondback Overdrive Sport......entry level bikes have come so far since I last bought one. The 29" tires are taking some getting used to on trails (used to 26) but I really like them for roots/rocks. Just kinda tank through stuff haha. This is my first bike with hydraulic discs... what a difference!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears