Did a little 3 wheel'n in my G Wagon today!

LeTechUSABill

Observer
attachment.php

LeTechUSABill

Observer
Yeah a little of both, had to power up that part of the hill to make it over, slow and steady wasn't doing it. It articulates pretty good even with the sway bar hooked up, I think this was a well timed mid action shot!

Scott Brady

Founder
Yeah, the G-Wagen wave (grin)

I am making it my personal mission to achieve an acceptable level of articulation with my G-Wagen. It is the vehicle's one fatal flaw.

So-Cal G

Observer
Yeah, the G-Wagen wave (grin)

I am making it my personal mission to achieve an acceptable level of articulation with my G-Wagen. It is the vehicle's one fatal flaw.

I hear ya there Scott, lately I've been toying with the idea of a 3 link up front lots of people run them on their D90's and 110's for serious trail rigs. Perhaps a triangulated 4 link!

Oh stop me now I didn't get the G for bouncing off the rocks!!! think EXPO! think EXPO!

Scott Brady

Founder
I am going to solve the problem, one way or another. I will be sure to share on my build thread.

The first plan is to remove the front sway bar and check effectiveness. I am not trying to make it a rock crawler or some stupid ramp travel hero, but I find the stock articulation to be the greatest limitation of the car in technical terrain. Of course, the G-Wagen fan club will always mention the diff locks as the solution or that articulation is not important, but lack of stability and predictability in cross-axle terrain is a problem, diff locks or not. . . It is ridiculous that my Range Rover MKIII with IFS/IRS has (far) better articulation than my solid axle, coil-sprung G :)

LeTechUSABill

Observer
I am going to solve the problem, one way or another. I will be sure to share on my build thread.

The first plan is to remove the front sway bar and check effectiveness.

I am going to disconnect my sway bar and give it a try, let you know how it goes. I am actually pushing the sway bar bushings out of the mounts right now after a good run like this.

zimm

Expedition Leader

The first plan is to remove the front sway bar and check effectiveness. I am not trying to make it a rock crawler or some stupid ramp travel hero, but I find the stock articulation to be the greatest limitation of the car in technical terrain. Of course, the G-Wagen fan club will always mention the diff locks as the solution or that articulation is not important, but lack of stability and predictability in cross-axle terrain is a problem, diff locks or not. . . It is ridiculous that my Range Rover MKIII with IFS/IRS has (far) better articulation than my solid axle, coil-sprung G :)

its funny. ive been carping about that flaw for years and all ive heard from fellow g owners is... nothing. complete silence as if in denial. the other near fatal flaw is the actuation system for the lockers. needlessly complicated and unreliable when old, from the crappy pneumatic lines and valves, the assist motor, and amplifiers, and finally the dog teeth that wear out.

sometimes and easier way is to put stiff lift springs on and ditch the sway bars. you get better articulation and not really notice the lack of sway control unless in long fast highway sweepers.

part of the G's issue, is there being nowhere to tuck the tire with the proximity of the frame and inner wheel well. it seems to me as if improved droop is the one way to go. i personally dont think its worth the expense to get it to work right. i think youd have an easier time getting a flexy RRC to be reliable.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
its funny. ive been carping about that flaw for years and all ive heard from fellow g owners is... nothing. complete silence as if in denial.

What is even more laughable, are the G-Wagen owners that attempt to convince you that the G does not need anymore articulation. It is my only complaint of the vehicle. Fortunately, my lockers have been flawless.

I will pull the anti swaybar after I get back from Baja. Even a 20-30% improvement in the front would make me content

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan