Did the 94-97 SR ever come with 4.90 gears and air locker?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
A local guy claims he has a factory 4.90 ratio 9.5" rear end with air locker out of an SR, is there any truth to this?

Clem

Adventurer
A local guy claims he has a factory 4.90 ratio 9.5" rear end with air locker out of an SR, is there any truth to this?

Do they have the entire vehicle or just the axle?...If they have the vehicle have them check the plate on the firewall.

Clem

off-roader

Expedition Leader
You can swap the 3rd member into an SR. I know it's been mentioned plenty on 4x4wire before but I don't believe anyone's done a write-up of the process but it's not exactly complicated. You pull the axles out (not all the way) remove the original 3rd member, install the Sport 3rd member, and perform the process in reverse then button everything back up.

To do the front, you need to install the actual r&p gears I believe. i'm not 100% sure but you may be able to swap the entire diff housing w/ gears also. I have a set in my garage but have been too busy to install them yet.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Do they have the entire vehicle or just the axle?...If they have the vehicle have them check the plate on the firewall.

Clem

Just the loose 3rd member he said came from an SR. He is local, I plan to look at it and count the pinion to see.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
IIRC, 4.90's are available for the 9.5" rear as well as the smaller 9" rear (& corresponding front diff's) of the same era.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
IIRC, 4.90's are available for the 9.5" rear as well as the smaller 9" rear (& corresponding front diff's) of the same era.

Ahh okay I haven't mucked around with gears and housing in a long time and I just wasn't sure if this was a 4.90 always come in 9.5 or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12