Diesel heater passthrough for SUV

flatwerx

I'm having a difficult time finding the correct items/parts that are needed to have a diesel heater vented into my SUV.

I am going to pop the top on my vehicle and instead of having the vehicle running all night when in cold areas/nights, I'd like to have the option of a diesel heater. Also need it to be watertight/sealed for whenI'm in nicer weather, water crossings, or just not needing the heater.
Now, I may be searching for items that I don't know the names of so maybe that why I can't find anything. Was hoping someone here's done something similar.

flatwerx

Thanks @Verkstad

Think it would work well on a vehicle? When not needing heat: keeping dust, water, bugs, critters out?
Also, gotta link for that piece?

HWY395ghost

I'm having a difficult time finding the correct items/parts that are needed to have a diesel heater vented into my SUV.

I am going to pop the top on my vehicle and instead of having the vehicle running all night when in cold areas/nights, I'd like to have the option of a diesel heater. Also need it to be watertight/sealed for whenI'm in nicer weather, water crossings, or just not needing the heater.
Now, I may be searching for items that I don't know the names of so maybe that why I can't find anything. Was hoping someone here's done something similar.
I just completed this exact project. It's vented through the cargo area floorboard on an E250 van. All pieces fit together perfectly and no weather leaks. I'll assemble a parts list and post some pics.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
What do you mean by "pop the top"? Roof top tent?
There are a lot of ways they can be installed. The normal install takes air from inside the vehicle, heats it, puts it back in the vehicle. Other will suck in outside air, heat it, push that into the vehicle, pressurize it and will need to vent air out to counter the air coming in.

Oh, I do love questions like this...

How about some background info?
Brand? Model? diameter of the ducting?

If you look at the pages of major heater manufacturers you can see that these "passthroughs" can be purchased for as low as 6,95$. Even with a valve.
If it's a russian or chinesium knock-off, then I do understand your question. They simply do not offer customer support.

MontySquareo

you can also get diesel coolant heaters, that will keep your engine warm without your engine running. you could then just leave your climate control fan on and basically have engine heat without actually running the engine.

you can also get diesel coolant heaters, that will keep your engine warm without your engine running. you could then just leave your climate control fan on and basically have engine heat without actually running the engine.
I second the above. Webasto and Eberspacher (Espar) both make 2kw and above space heaters with integral fans, and 5kw and above coolant heaters that when wired correctly automatically use the heater fan and vents to heat the interior. Both would be overkill for your application and both offer customer support.
I believe Victorian was selling Russian Planar heaters and he knows his products. However, since the war started…?
It would be helpful to know the vehicle in question.

HWY395ghost

Here's an overview pic looking in through the rear cargo doors on an E250:
overview.jpg

The "passthrough" is an angle flange from Nordfab. A stainless steel (SS) 3 inch was used. Galvanized is also available:
Norfab.jpg

JB Weld was used to secure the SS flange to the SS duct. Contact surfaces were roughened before JB Weld was applied. The outer, top edge of the flange was sharp, so it was filed down a bit:
angle flange prep.jpg

This company makes the proper size plug for the interior. It's their smallest size and not available online. I called and ordered direct. Easy people to work with once you explain you can't find it online. A 4mm Allen wrench is used to tighten the plug in place:
interior plug.jpg

This is the passthrough, interior plug, and exterior plug that closes the bottom of the passthrough. The exterior 3 inch plug (or similar) is available at most hardware stores:
pass through and plugs.jpg

The view at the bottom of the passthrough without the plug installed. High temperature tolerant spray foam was used to fill the difference between the duct and the cutout. The difference is actually quite small; excess foam expanded out:
lower opening.jpg

Same view, with plug installed; A Crescent wrench is used to secure and remove the plug:
lower plug.jpg

Same view with with Planar exterior couple and adapter installed:
lower connection.jpg

Planar exterior coupler and adapter pieces disassembled. The end that inserts into the bottom of the passthrough was built up with a few layers of heat resistant tape (green arrow) to ensure a snug fit:
underside hose connector parts.jpg

One option for the interior side of passthrough. The detents need to be sanded/filed off the coupler to fit inside the passthrough:
interior duct connector.jpg

Had the rig out last week in sand, water, mud, and snow; no leaks. It was the first time the installation was used. Night temperatures were in the low 20's and everything worked great.

flatwerx

What do you mean by "pop the top"? Roof top tent?
There are a lot of ways they can be installed. The normal install takes air from inside the vehicle, heats it, puts it back in the vehicle. Other will suck in outside air, heat it, push that into the vehicle, pressurize it and will need to vent air out to counter the air coming in.
Campteq pops the top of LandCruisers to make a camper. I want to have a portable diesel heater (I'll probably make it) that I can use in the winter. Something that's not hard mounted to or in the vehicle

Don't go with a coolant heater.
Why?
- Current consumption of the coolant pump (45W)+ internal fan ( up 120W). That depletes your battery pretty quickly! Air heater consumes as little as 25W.
- Limited runtime: 2 hours max against unlimited
- Fuel consumption. 0.25L per hour(air) against 1L hour(coolant)
- Noise: is almost the same.

I do have both. Webasto Air Top (2kw) and Webasto Thermo Top Coolant heater (5kw).
Coolant heater is good for the engine- better than a plug, because it really brings the engine up to op temps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears