Diesel in a new taco?

barlowrs

Explorer
Now this may be a stupid question, but I have been wondering for a while so what the heck, I'm going to ask.

Has anyone look at if it is possible to take the diesel engine from the Hilux out and through it in a new (05+) taco? Since Toyota hasn’t caught on to the fact that we would love a diesel in the states, I thought it would be interesting to see if it just swaps right over.

Does the hilux and taco have the same frame?

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
barlowrs said:
Does the hilux and taco have the same frame?

Frames are different. And laws about swapping in a diesel engine vary by state. Since I'm in California, there are lot of things that are not allowed.

hoser

Explorer
In any case, this would be a major dollar swap. Tough to justify on an '05+ Taco that should have a perfectly good running engine. Maybe it would make sense in one that had an engine fire and was totaled out.

barlowrs

Explorer
Yeah, I had no money or any intention on doing it, just curious if I can. I plan to have my taco for a long time, and figured maybe sometime down the road it might be a nice idea.

Thanks for your answers

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The Tacoma and Hilux don't share a platform, the Hilux uses the IMV chassis and the Tacoma is based on the 120 Prado chassis. But they do share a lot of common running gear, so they are still close cousins.

But I have my doubts about the universality of all of it. Back in the 22R days, the L-series diesels literally bolted in to the same motor mounts, a fairly painless swap. The hardest part as I understand it was rewiring and making sure you got the right W-series tranny bellhousing. But there was no fab necessary.

The next generation trucks with the 5VZ and 3RZ I don't think were quite as easy to fit a 1KZ. I would expect that the current gas and diesel engines have more differences than ever (the 1GR and D4D are pretty different beasts than a 22R and 2L were). IOW, it get a bit more custom each time it would seem.

But please do it, I wanna see... :)

DenCo40

Adventurer
I wouldn't put a diesel in a new truck unless it allready came with one. There is so much you have to do to swap one out. At the end of the day it would cost an arm and a leg to do and then you have to deal with the smog people depending on the state you live in. I've been down the diesel road before and I haven't found a reason to go back yet.

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
if anyone is going to go the 1KD engine swap, go for the updated engine in the Prado.....

the prado's 1KD is the second generation of this engine whereas the hilux uses the first generation of this engine....big difference in power.

hilux makes 343nM stock, Prado makes 400nM stock.

add a chip to any of these and an exhaust and you got another 100nM just like that.

Ive heard that Rav4 diesels in europe have the 3rd generation of these type of diesels and their 2.2 diesel makes 400nM....this technology is absolutely awesome!

edit: also another thing to add, the new diesel engines require you run all the high pressure fuel lines, and there is also a small fuel cooler underneath the Hilux before it gets to the injector pump. little things like that that make up the whole system need to be considered. These new diesels arent just the engine like the 1KZ may have been.

I reckon a swap would end up pretty pricey.

Cant you just go to mexico or south america and bring a hilux back up to the states?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan