Diesel/lpg conversion

mab

Observer
Has any one fitted one of these systems to a canter or similar? Or considered it or have an informed opinion? Any feedback appreciated.
Cheers
MAB

mab

Observer
Lpg being liquid petroleum gas or propane.
Lpg is injected into the air intake to produce more power, better economy? & cleaner emissions from what I have read.
Have read quite a few reviews of the systems from owners of smaller 4x4s, most are happy with the outcome. Those that are not
Usually have had drama with the system installer. Price averages about $4K. Would like to hear from anyone with Canter sized vehicles that have installed or researched this system.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Frankly, I wouldn't touch it with a 50ft pole.

Why? 3 reasons
1. Because the diesel economy gain is often equally offset by the LPG/propane usage.
2. I'm yet to see a kit that really meters the propane correctly.
3. The big one. Because LPG/propane will pre-ignite under diesel combustion temps prior to diesel being injected, it can (and has) cause catastrophic engine damage. I'm talking holes thru pistons type stuff.

CNG has a higher combustion temp (and is rated to be used on some stationary diesel motors), but no diesel manufacturer has, or will, rate an engine to run with LPG/propane.

alan

Explorer
Frankly, I wouldn't touch it with a 50ft pole.

Why? 3 reasons
1. Because the diesel economy gain is often equally offset by the LPG/propane usage.
2. I'm yet to see a kit that really meters the propane correctly.
3. The big one. Because LPG/propane will pre-ignite under diesel combustion temps prior to diesel being injected, it can (and has) cause catastrophic engine damage. I'm talking holes thru pistons type stuff.

CNG has a higher combustion temp (and is rated to be used on some stationary diesel motors), but no diesel manufacturer has, or will, rate an engine to run with LPG/propane.

Yeep! and the only thing LPG is good for is cooking chops and sausages..

summerprophet

Adventurer
You should look propane injection much in the same was as you would look nitrous injunction in a gasoline motor.

There are significant power benefits, but at the cost of a shortened engine lifespan. There is also more wear and tear on the vehicle, and things like seals are way more expensive to deal with the added internal pressure.

It certainly has it's place, but I wouldn't put it on a daily driver or a dedicated expo rig.

blackduck

Explorer
I looked at it some time ago when the govt was offering a rebate. didnt go ahead with it because I didnt qualify. they consider the canter to be commercial so wouldnt come to the party
(the logic being the subsidy was for mums to drop the kids at school not travel the country)
After just watching a mate replace his cruiser engine after it blew up because of the gas set up Im kinda glad I didnt go with it
the concept makes sense but i dont think the technology lives up to the hype

blackduck

Explorer
Chops sausages and its a pretty good refrigerant
probably one of the most efficient around
only reason we dont use it (and its nothing to do with fire risk) its too cheap
du pont cant flog LPG for $200 a kilo
well thats my rant anyway

Flys Lo

Adventurer
But for how long! has the head gasket gone yet? the gas converters on factory lpg constantly fail also.
Its the factory liquid injection (so no converter)

To my (limited) knowledge, head gasket failures stopped with the AU Falcon - and they would happen whether you ran on gas, or petrol, you would just get them sooner on gas. It was a problem with coolant flow in the head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan