Diesel News: POST HERE

doug720

Expedition Leader
An interesting take on diesels from a salvage yard in Britain. I bought a part a few years ago and they send me a monthly newsletter. No other connection.

A good friend runs a Catapillar dealer ship here in Socal and he feels about the same way.

Doug

Latest News - Diesel Vs Petrol

Diesel engines used to be noisy, smelly and somewhat agricultural. Then car makers wised up, made the engines cleaner, more powerful and refined, and with diesel cheaper than petrol at the pumps, the fuel suddenly became more viable. Not for long. With the Chancellor making diesel pricier than petrol, choosing between the two fuel forms is now no longer as clear cut.

If it was purely down to miles per gallon, diesel would win. Easily. A Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi returns a quoted Combined consumption of 69mpg. The petrol equivalent of the same capacity does 49mpg.

But petrol hits back with the model’s purchase-price advantage. The petrol Fiesta in three-door Edge trim would set you back £12,195. The diesel version costs £12,995. And the difference isn’t going to get smaller. Ford Powertrain’s director Andrew Fraser explains: “Diesel engines are getting more expensive to build due to increased legislation. Last year a diesel particulate filter (DPF) had to be fitted, which required an injection upgrade. In 2015, they’ll have to abide by Euro VI emissions standards, so most diesel engines will need a Nitrogen Oxide trap. It’ll all add up to making the payback period for diesel longer.”

The addition of DPFs in particular has been contentious. Vanessa Guyll from the AA’s technical services says: “The DPF and exhaust gas recirculation mean diesels really aren’t viable for short journeys and town work. The DPF doesn’t get hot enough to clear itself out. We get called to about 700 breakdowns a month for blocked DPFs.

“For anyone who potters around town and doesn’t do journeys that are a minimum of 10 miles we wouldn’t advise a diesel. Any savings owners might make on road tax would be quickly wiped out by fixing problems with the emissions equipment if usage isn’t suitable.”

Breakeryard.com is the top website in the UK for saving you money on used car and van parts. We are totally committed to improving our service and gaining 100% customer satisfaction, on an ongoing basis. Our system is being updated all the time.

Find Engines, Gearboxes, Body parts, Wheels, Interior parts, Starter Motors, Alternators, Wing Mirrors, Electrical parts and much more found simply at Breakeryard.com. Any make, any model. All parts guaranteed and delivered to you door.

You can also call our parts hotline on *0905 232 3000.

We trust you will enjoy finding used vehicle parts with Breakeryard.com in the future! Thank you for using us.

Best Regards,

The Customer Care Team
Breakeryard.com

haven

Expedition Leader
The EPA has a web page that helps the buyers of gas/electric hybrid vehicles calculate how long it will take before the hybrid's lower fuel costs will cover its higher purchase price. The page compares hybrids with similar non-hybrids from the same manufacturer. Examples: Toyota Prius vs Toyota Matrix, Ford Fusion Hybrid vs Fusion sedan, even Cadillac Escalade Hybrid vs regular Escalade. There are 18 comparisons in all. Here's the page
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybridCompare.jsp

I'd like to do a similar comparison between diesel powered vehicles and their gas powered counterparts. Should I compare the diesel with the least expensive gas engine alternative, or to the gas engine model with similar torque?

For example: The Jetta TDI sedan has 235 ft lb of torque. The standard 2.5L gas engine has 177 ft lb, and the optional 2.0L gas turbo has 207 ft lb.

Another example: The Mercedes ML350 Bluetec 3.0L turbodiesel has 455 ft lb. The ML350 gas V6 has 273 ft lb. And the ML550 turbo gas V8 has 443 ft lb.

haven

Expedition Leader
The new Mazda CX-5 compact sport utility (think Honda CR-V size) is a hit in Japan. Despite the fact that diesel engines have never been popular in Japanese passenger vehicles, the CX-5 with 2.2L turbodiesel has been a big success. The CX-5 passes Japan's strict emissions rules without needing a fancy NOx reduction system, that is, no diesel exhaust fluid injection. The 4x4 version of the CX-5 diesel is rated to deliver more than 40 mpg highway by the Japanese government.

The success of the CX-5 diesel may delay the diesel engine's introduction in USA. They're selling all their diesel engines at home!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...The CX-5 passes Japan's strict emissions rules without needing a fancy NOx reduction system, that is, no diesel exhaust fluid injection. The 4x4 version of the CX-5 diesel is rated to deliver more than 40 mpg highway by the Japanese government.snip...

Those are two great reasons (no DEF & 40 MPG) I would buy a diesel CX-5 if sold here. Sounds like a possible replacement for our VW TDI.

ActionCamper

Supporting Sponsor
I'm surpriced that nobody get excited by the extreme power in a JK. I had great milage and perfect sahara dune crawling habits ( torque ) on my old diesel, but this new 2012 with O.CT tuning is as totally different story. The torque is so much better than the AEV V8 Habitat I drove in Prescott, that I don't miss the horses.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm surpriced that nobody get excited by the extreme power in a JK. snip...

Only because we can't have it here... If we could have those engines in the USA I think many would buy them and be very excited about the idea of the diesel tuning. :)

Bill Beers

Explorer
Mercedes will install its 2.1L four cylinder turbodiesel in the company's small SUV, the GLK. Paired with a 7 speed transmission and stop-start technology*, the small diesel should produce very good mpg numbers. A 4Matic all wheel drive system will be an option. The GLK with 2.1L turbodiesel will be called the GLK 250 BlueTec. It will be available early in calendar year 2013.

The 2.1L diesel is rated to produce 369 ft-lb of torque. That's down from the torque produced by the six cylinder 3.0L turbodiesels from Mercedes, BMW and VW/Audi. But it should be enough to make the GLK fun to drive...

Looks like your were spot on with that prediction Chip: "It's not quite as quick as the 3.5-liter, but the diesel is still plenty fast and it performed just as admirably during our mountain road runs."

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1205_2013_mercedes_benz_glk250_bkuetec_first_drive/

haven

Expedition Leader
The 2.1L diesel in the GLK produces 369 ft lb of torque. The Mazda 2.2L Skyactiv-D produces 300+ ft lb. The 2.0L diesel coming to the Chevrolet Cruze is expected to produce 265+ ft lb.

The 2.0L diesel in the VW Jetta produces 235 ft lb. Looks like VW may need to redesign its diesel to stay competitive.

haven

Expedition Leader
The Jetta tested by Edmunds was a 2011 model, which is considerably larger than the earlier Jettas. And auto review staff tend to drive with the hammer down more than an owner would. Maybe these two factors make the difference in mpg.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
The Jetta tested by Edmunds was a 2011 model, which is considerably larger than the earlier Jettas. And auto review staff tend to drive with the hammer down more than an owner would. Maybe these two factors make the difference in mpg.

I think the driving style has plenty to do with it.

Storz

Explorer
Anyone heard futher rumors about a diesel Colorado for 2013 coming to the US?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Looks like Mazda is gearing up to bring their small diesel to the US...generally Mazda races what they sell.

At least one answer arrived this weekend at the Detroit Grand Prix as Mazda Motorsports announced that it will supply racing versions of its new SKYACTIV-D clean diesel engines to customer teams competing in GRAND-AM's new GX Class for advanced/clean technologies, beginning with the 2013 season.The engines will be stock-block Mazda SKYACTIV-D 2.2-liter diesel four-cylinder, dual-stage turbocharged powerplants.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/grand-am-mazda-commits-skyactiv-d-diesel-engine-to-new-gx-class/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78