Diesel News: POST HERE

Clutch

<---Pass
VW’s emissions cheating scandal put diesel in a bad light in 2016. However, the bad publicity has not deterred all manufacturers. We’ll see several new diesels in the 2018 model year.

Ford is rumored to be adding a 3.0L V6 turbodiesel to the the 2018 F150 pickup. It’s expected to be the same diesel used by Land Rover in the 2017 Discovery, so about 440 ft lb of torque. The 3.5L Ecoboost gas engine in the F150 is rated to deliver 470 ft lb, so comparing the two engines’ performance and fuel economy will be interesting.
http://www.dieselhub.com/halfton/ford-f-150-lion-diesel.html

Also interesting is the natural comparison between Ford and Nissan full size diesel-powered “half ton” trucks. Nissan uses a 5.0L Cummins V8 diesel in their Titan. The engine in the Titan XD has 555 ft lb of torque, but also has to haul around 1500 lb more weight than the aluminum bodied F150.

Chevrolet plans to put a 1.6L diesel (236 ft lb) in the remodeled now-compact Equinox SUV. (Compact means about the size of a Honda CR-V). GM estimates 40 mpg on the highway with FWD. The Chevy Cruze sedan will also be available with the 1.6L diesel. The new Equinox will be a world car, sold on 6 continents (including as a Holden in Australia).
http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...en/2016/sep/0922-2018-equinox-propulsion.html

The remodeled Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Pickup are rumored to have a diesel option for 2018. It’s likely to be the 3.0L diesel currently offered in the Grand Cherokee, where it produces 420 ft lb. of torque.

Mazda says they plan to offer a 2.2L turbo diesel in the next generation CX-5 SUV, planned for late 2017 as a 2018 model. Not many other details released. Since Mazda announced a diesel on at least three occasions since 2010, this has to be in the “I’ll believe it when I see it” category.
http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/mazda-offer-diesel-engine-new-mazda-cx-5/

Diesel fuel continues to be less expensive than regular unleaded gas. Let's hope the new diesel options will not be hugely more expensive than their gas powered counterparts.

If VW can't pass emissions. How are the others? They are all basically the same thing.

Mercedes is now under fire. http://blog.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz-under-federal-investigation-for-diesel-emissions/

The question is, modern efficient diesels are finally coming to the US, but will they be quickly killed off by the EPA? Seems like a bit of a conundrum, EPA wants vehicles to get better fuel economy, yet want super clean emissions as well. Something is going to have to give.

VW recently laid off 30,000 workers, and pulled out of rally racing. Will the company survive this scandal?

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
If VW can't pass emissions. How are the others? They are all basically the same thing.

Mercedes is now under fire. http://blog.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz-under-federal-investigation-for-diesel-emissions/

The question is, modern efficient diesels are finally coming to the US, but will they be quickly killed off by the EPA? Seems like a bit of a conundrum, EPA wants vehicles to get better fuel economy, yet want super clean emissions as well. Something is going to have to give.

VW recently laid off 30,000 workers, and pulled out of rally racing. Will the company survive this scandal?

VW will survive, even if they have to pull out of the us market. We (the US) have been killing ourselves with massive regulations and rushed restrictions. Sad that there are so many quality, efficient vehicles out there but we allow our politicians to deny them because they don't support the global warming/kuhmbya agenda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
VW will survive, even if they have to pull out of the us market. We (the US) have been killing ourselves with massive regulations and rushed restrictions. Sad that there are so many quality, efficient vehicles out there but we allow our politicians to deny them because they don't support the global warming/kuhmbya agenda.

You're probably right about VW as the they are the second largest auto company just behind Toyota, they can absorb the losses. Might get knoced down the ladder a bit.

Will be interesting what will happen to the market and economy with the new administration. I am guessing it could go either way.

haven

Expedition Leader
"If VW can't pass emissions. How are the others?"

One proven way to meet current emissions standards is to employ urea injection and a selective catalytic converter to control oxides of nitrogen. VW didn't want to use this approach because it costs more to manufacture than alternatives, and requires the use of diesel fuel with very low sulfur. So they chose to cheat on the emissions tests conducted by regulatory agencies in Europe and USA.

Other manufacturers didn't cheat. They adopted urea injection (known as AdBlue or Bluetec, among other names), which led to higher prices for their diesel vehicles. Honda and Mazda decided their more expensive diesels couldn't compete with VW's diesels in North America, which led to cancelation of their plans to import diesels to our market.

Eventually, VW's deception was discovered in their four cylinder diesels. The penalties for this cheating are approaching $15 billion in USA alone. And that's before civil lawsuits are brought against VW.

VW employees are facing criminal prosecution, too. One VW engineer based in southern California has pled guilty to a variety of charges, and he is expected to testify against his superiors. Extradition is possible, but trial in absentia of VW executives who live in Germany might be more expeditious.

Recently, another software cheat was uncovered in VW's six cylinder diesels. Even though the six cylinder diesels were equipped with functional urea injection and catalyst, VW decided to turn off much of the emissions control hardware after the vehicle has run for 22 minutes. The European and USA diesel test cycles are 20 minutes long.

The six cylinder solution is a software update that keeps emissions controls running full time. But substantial fines are under consideration by the EPA. We should know soon.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
I never knew this thread existed, since I came onto this site only a few years ago. It is a lot to digest, especially all the newer emissions related gismos. I wadded through all the speculation that is now years old and didn't come to pass, to glom onto salient facts. I suspect I was at the right place at the right time to buy a new 2001.5 Dodge RAM (the ".5" means they put 4 wheel disc brakes on, that's all), 2-series, Cummins T.D., Camper Package, 17.5:1 High Output compression ratio, NOT a 53 block, 505TQ, 245 HP, NV-5600 transmission, NV-241HD (wider chain), 32 spline Dana 60/35 spline Dana 80 (11,000 pound capy).

It's simply the best vehicle I've ever owned (of the 35 I've owned). Now, in retrospect, it looks like having a diesel with only a muffler, not a DEF canister, of other smog device is a good thing, especially if you are going to any 3rd world country without ULS fuel. After 168K miles and 15 years of 'an upgrade in progress', I"ve had approaching zero woes with the engine. It does have a PCM, so will self-immolate come the interplanetary scintillation. They made so many of these I'm hoping a new PCM will be available if this one ever goes south. After 168K miles I"ve had approaching zero woes with the engine. It has plenty of power to haul around my truck camper.

Now for a retrospective. This is not 'news', only a look back.
My first diesel was a
1968 M.B. 180D or 190D, I cannot recall which. Auto trans/4 cyl. pretty gutless but very dependable and is probably still running somewhere since it did not live in the rust belt.
1980 VW Dasher Diesel wagon. Very efficient. mechanical fuel injection. Never had woes with the engine, but the complete electrical system self destructed after 2 years so we sold it at a great loss. My wife simply said, "make it go away."
1979 Cadillac Seville 4-door with the ill-fated 5.7L Olds Diesel V-8. A pimp mobile, white with red leather interior. It had a replacement engine which worked very well. The trans and TQ converter went south in a puff of smoke.
1980 International Scout Traveller, 118" w.b. with factory Nissan 3.3L, I-6 Turbo Diesel with 101 neck-snapping H.P. T-19, mid ratio, all synchro trans and the rare 'Texas pattern' Dana-300 T. case. My son went to college in this thing and he drove it for years. Really a great machine.
1983 Peugeot 505s, 2.3L turbo diesel, 5-speed, 4-door. Up until our RAM, the best car we've ever owned. Everything about it was business.
I tried to put a diesel engine into my 1982 Jeep Scrambler (with lots of stuff) but in CA the Air Resources Board made it impossible.
2001 RAM, as above.
and last but not least:
2007 Kioti, 35 H.P., 3-cyl, manual trans, 4WD normally aspirated diesel tractor with a humongous rear pull snow blower.

jefe

Clutch

<---Pass
Put a 500.00 deposit down on a 2017 powerstroke on Friday. Fingers crossed its reliable long term.

Lack of a better term...time will tell.

"If VW can't pass emissions. How are the others?"

One proven way to meet current emissions standards is to employ urea injection and a selective catalytic converter to control oxides of nitrogen. VW didn't want to use this approach because it costs more to manufacture than alternatives, and requires the use of diesel fuel with very low sulfur. So they chose to cheat on the emissions tests conducted by regulatory agencies in Europe and USA.

Other manufacturers didn't cheat. They adopted urea injection (known as AdBlue or Bluetec, among other names), which led to higher prices for their diesel vehicles. Honda and Mazda decided their more expensive diesels couldn't compete with VW's diesels in North America, which led to cancelation of their plans to import diesels to our market.

Eventually, VW's deception was discovered in their four cylinder diesels. The penalties for this cheating are approaching $15 billion in USA alone. And that's before civil lawsuits are brought against VW.

VW employees are facing criminal prosecution, too. One VW engineer based in southern California has pled guilty to a variety of charges, and he is expected to testify against his superiors. Extradition is possible, but trial in absentia of VW executives who live in Germany might be more expeditious.

Recently, another software cheat was uncovered in VW's six cylinder diesels. Even though the six cylinder diesels were equipped with functional urea injection and catalyst, VW decided to turn off much of the emissions control hardware after the vehicle has run for 22 minutes. The European and USA diesel test cycles are 20 minutes long.

The six cylinder solution is a software update that keeps emissions controls running full time. But substantial fines are under consideration by the EPA. We should know soon.

Thanks for the information, Mr Haven.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/...ct-and-powerful-turbo-diesel-marine-outboard/

Interesting article about a new diesel engine design that reduces vibration. The 800cc two cylinder design could be scaled up and expanded to a size that could power a truck.

Interesting design, but its trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist in the marine industry, for sure not in the NA market. Similar 50hp motors weigh much less, and cost much much less. Range may be improved, but range is not an issue in boats this would power.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Gotta love the Peugeot diesels. Peugeot imported the 404 to French colonies in western Africa in the 1950s, and they proved up to the challenge of African roads. The 504 and 505 were manufactured in Nigeria for many years. Here's an article that talks about Peugeot in Africa today.
http://petrolicious.com/where-forty-year-old-peugeots-are-still-hot-stuff

My first car was a 505 sedan TD 5spd manual. They had a huge trailing arm independent rear suspension and basically a 4cylinder tractor engine up front. Fun car built like a tank. Top speed was about 65mph. First gear at idle it would climb over parking lot blocks umm yea great manual to learn on.

Lousy in the snow! Super heavy front end rear wheel drive with stupid amounts of torque. That was my first 360 highway exit and grand entry into a ski resort parking lot. Where we came to skidding stop is where we left it to hit the ski slopes! Yes crazy tough car.
It was like driving a 4dr CASE backhoe.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Gotta love the Peugeot diesels. Peugeot imported the 404 to French colonies in western Africa in the 1950s, and they proved up to the challenge of African roads. The 504 and 505 were manufactured in Nigeria for many years. Here's an article that talks about Peugeot in Africa today.
http://petrolicious.com/where-forty-year-old-peugeots-are-still-hot-stuff

My father in law had two Peugeots. One sedan and one wagon. Extremely comfortable,economical and roadworthy but boy did those suckers smoke. I reckon they were pre turbos.

Forget about collision out of US and Canada.
And virtually all vehicles depreciate despite additions, no matter how much the owner loves them.

Charlie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior