Diesel options/sources? 109 Hybrid

KMW

I inch slowly closer to my dream truck -- a 109 Safari/coiler hybrid....I've got tons of parts, a couple of Rangie chassis, an engine-less 1969 Series IIa 12 passenger safari (in limestone) and about 10 years of hands on experience with a Range Rover classic (our '87 has about 300k on it), and many more years of wrenching experience -- keeping alive MGBs, a TR-8 and campaigning autocross and rally cars. I've got fairly well equipped shops to support welding, machining, etc...

...and now it's time to deal with the driveline.

I've got enough Rover V-8s and HP22s to go that route, but this truck deserves a diesel and manual gearbox.

Of course THE answer (to me at least) is TDI300...probably easier to get running on one of the Rangie chassis I've got and then go from there.

The question is, where in the US to get one of those? I've done engine swap projects before (MGB V-8) and frankly the nickle and dime you need this you need that gets tiring....has anyone on this forum dealt with the "sounds way too good to be true" neighbor "up north" who has a perennial listing on that famous auction site?

My goal is a rugged, reliable machine without too much (more) re-engineering...but I'm open to options...

Thanks for any advice/experiences!

edited to add:

I know this is question comes up fairly regularly -- what diesel can I use? -- and I know the answer to that is "it depends"

Specifically my questions are:
1) is there a good source for Rover TDI300 engines/driveline parts in the US?
2) has anyone here dealt with the seller mentioned above?

Last edited:

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
A couple of years ago Land Rover Monthly had a summary of engine conversions for Defenders and others including who made conversion kits for particular engines.

Jim

C Red

Adventurer
Rovers Down South has new conversion kits available. In my opinion they are very costly, but from what I hear its a complete kit.

Also you can order one from UK. Cost is not to bad depending on the conversion rate at the time you buy. There are a couple of different suppliers you can deal with.
Get a good customs broker if you go this route. It will make the transaction much easier.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Talk to Mark P (aka landiman) over on lrrforums.com. He recently imported a few diesels and can tell you the ins and outs of importing. Mark can also guide you in regards to installation. Where abouts do you live? Perhaps a jaunt over to see some of his projects is possible.

Also, Eric (aka Norcal Relics) on the same forum can actually import the engine for you.

jrose609

Explorer
I've got enough Rover V-8s and HP22s to go that route, but this truck deserves a diesel and manual gearbox.

Of course THE answer (to me at least) is TDI300...probably easier to get running on one of the Rangie chassis I've got and then go from there.

The question is, where in the US to get one of those? I've done engine swap projects before (MGB V-8) and frankly the nickle and dime you need this you need that gets tiring....has anyone on this forum dealt with the "sounds way too good to be true" neighbor "up north" who has a perennial listing on that famous auction site?

My goal is a rugged, reliable machine without too much (more) re-engineering...but I'm open to options...

Thanks for any advice/experiences!

edited to add:

I know this is question comes up fairly regularly -- what diesel can I use? -- and I know the answer to that is "it depends"

Specifically my questions are:
1) is there a good source for Rover TDI300 engines/driveline parts in the US?
2) has anyone here dealt with the seller mentioned above?

I am in the process of installing a 300tdi in my Discovery. You need to realize, this is not a project for the faint of heart. If you can find an engine for $4500 delivered, you are almost half way there.

Duncan Goodchild, is the guy on ebay from British Columbia. I've talked with a couple of people on other forums who have bought stuff from him. He has pretty good stuff. Anytime you purchase a used engine from anywhere, you risk buying a boat anchor. Duncan has worked on quite a few Land Rover diesels, and he knows what he is doing.

I imported my engine myself. I worked with a breaker in the UK to get an engine. The process was spendy, but the engine is good. Shipping took FOREVER. I purchased the entire engine, tranny, transfer box. Included the radiator/intercooler, and all the ancillaries. Keep in mind, this was for an engine with about 90,000 kms on the clock. I had to buy all new hoses and lines, too. 90000 kms is not a lot when it comes to a diesel, but the lines are still rubber, steel, and aluminum, and they are not spendy.

You can find plenty of parts for the 300tdi here in the States. There are a lot of dealers. Atlantic British, Rovers North, Rovers Down South, Safari Rover, British Pacific, and the list goes on and on. A lot of the parts can be modified from local stuff. Injectors can be refurnished and turbos can be replaced and rebuilt.

The biggest thing is figure out how much it is going to cost, and then atleast DOUBLE that amount. If you think I'm kidding, talk to others who have converted their rigs to diesel. You talked earlier about nickel and diming. You got it!

You may be able to pick up a 6.2GM and an NV4500 or something and do it cheaper, but I wanted an authentic Land Rover diesel in my rig. When it's done, it will be just like it came from the factory with a diesel.

Regardless, I'm more excited about getting this rig finished than any other project I've ever completed. It will be worth it when I'm done!

Cheers!

Jason

jrose609

Explorer
One other thing I might add. The US dollar/ British Pound Sterling exchange rate has been abyssmal. The price Duncan is quoting for a 300tdi DELIVERED is about $4500. With the exchange rate so bad with the UK right now, you'd probably be well above that. Just an additional .02 to the mix.

Good luck! You can email me if you have other questions.

Jason

KMW

Thanks to all for info and leads!

...You need to realize, this is not a project for the faint of heart...

Yeah. I realized when I had stuffed my rally car up to the tranny skid plate on the side of a mountain in the "Rim of the World" rally that I had somewhat sacrificed rationality in my life for "adventure" :sombrero:

Again, thanks all for the info. This is one of those projects that even though there's discussion online and in specialty mags, some of the critical stuff is still word of mouth/campfire legend. My previous engine swap project, Rover V8 to MGB, is to be honest pretty trivial. Easy to work with little car, all the parts are factory, it's been done a million times and there are specialty publications just discussing that swap....I realize the Rover project is a big undertaking, and one that usually includes a lot of custom work, and a lot of "it depends" trade off decisions.

I like the idea of the price and availability of the Cummins B3.3T; I don't like the idea of all the fiddling to get power steering, AC, and bellhousing issues resolved on an "industrial" engine.

Jason, I appreciate your comments on Duncan. I'll get in touch with him. If you have any contact for folks who have dealt with him that would be open to talking, it would be helpful....I'm sure many here have seen those auctions of his...and would all be more leery of tossing money in to an international black hole more than the risk of a bad engine.

To me one of the attractive points of going with a Rover engine is the ease of using a Rover driveline. I've got a lot of LT-230 t-cases about, and with our '87 Rangie and '96 Disco being so equipped....well, I like common parts on my rigs. Going to a Diesel is going to break our standardized Rover V8 fleet -- Rangie, Disco, TR8 and MGB V8 (off the road for a major freshen up right now).

Again to Jason, how far along are you? Are you documenting this swap? I'd love to see pics and read progress. And to all who responded -- I understand this is a way to common question (and one often associated with tire kickers) thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge!

Oh, and I'm in central Arkansas; not exactly a hot bed of Rover activity nor a big place for in-the-know expedition Rover builders.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I have a '95 300 Tdi Disco from a fire chief in the UK- all in tact with the service history!! To me, the safest and most economical way to get a 300 Tdi donor- it is all there- wiring, crossmember, drivetrain, etc- not to mention it runs/drives so you know what you are getting. I was waiting to use it, but liquidating most all the Rover stuff and projects. PM me for contact info if interested, and check out www.theroverbarn.com Gotta love Tdis!!! And the shipping is a cake walk, since it drives....

jrose609

Explorer
I have a '95 300 Tdi Disco from a fire chief in the UK- all in tact with the service history!! To me, the safest and most economical way to get a 300 Tdi donor- it is all there- wiring, crossmember, drivetrain, etc- not to mention it runs/drives so you know what you are getting. I was waiting to use it, but liquidating most all the Rover stuff and projects. PM me for contact info if interested, and check out www.theroverbarn.com Gotta love Tdis!!! And the shipping is a cake walk, since it drives....

Wow. Nice looking rigs on your site. Wish I would have known about your 95 Tdi about 6 months ago. That probably would have been a really good deal.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks- it is only a sampling really. I border on computer illiteracy, so have to have someone update, and it gets expensive. In the end it is very frustrating as we have tons of NLA parts and typically some pretty rare- for the US- trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78