Mount McKinley Diet Program!

Lose 10 pounds per week!

11kviewvp2.jpg

sled2xx8.jpg

best diet I ever went on!:REExeSquatsHL1:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
OverlandXJ said:
...Would a 40lb loss by Jan 1st be a reasonable goal?

I've managed to get a steady loss rate of 1 to 2 lbs a week by changing diet and riding a bike 3 days a week. I won't say it's easy, but it hasn't been that hard either. If you can do that, you've got 30 weeks to reach your goal.

One thing I'm doing is trying to set realistic goals. I accomplished my first goal last week - going from 272 to 250, and I got there faster than planned. I started on March 4th, and wanted to be at 250 before June, and I made it. So, now my next goal is to maintain that weight after having knee surgery. I hope to drop a few more pounds before June 12th, but the main goal is recovery without gaining back the lost lbs.

Mark

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
There is some good advice on this thread.

I work in the consulting/accounting industry that demands lots of hours sitting on my *****. Lots of my co-workers struggle to maintain their health/weight, there is always gimmick diets that lots try. Examples include: Atkins, southbeach, lemonade(that's all), low-carb, there is even a lady who only eats a "health cookie" 2 meals a day! In general, these folks see some positive results and rave to anybody who will listen about great the diet is. A couple of months later they back to square one.

I have maintained my bodyweight and general health since high-shcool by using things I learned in training for football. Eat-right, do cardio and lift weights.

Diet - starvation/deprivation diets with calorie intake too low can only last so long before you cheat. And diets that have cheating built in, don't make any sense to me. Here's what I do, I eat as much as I want but I don't eat things that I know are unhealthy. Cut out all fried foods, chips, and soft-drinks they provide nothing but sugar and simple carbs that your body immediately turns to sugar. Ask yourself what good is this food providing my body? protien, fiber, complex carbs.....vitamins....go for it. Drink water, lots of times when you feel hungry, you're actually just thirsty.

Exercise - I rotate 1 day cardio, 1 day lifting weights and take off if my schedule is too packed

Cardio - do whatever you like (run, walking briskly, mountian bike, swim, paddle) just keep you heart rate up for >20 mins I shoot for 30. Do it 3-4 times a week at about 60-70% of max. Something that yields great results is interval training where you go hard for 2 mins then go soft for 1 min. (so it total 2 hrs a week)

Lift weights - Here is an example of what I do, 3-4 days a week

Day 1 - Chest and legs
Bench - 4 sets, 10 reps
Squats - 4 sets, 10 reps
Dead-lift 4 sets, 10 reps
incline Bench - 4 sets 10 reps
Lunges - 4 sets, 15 reps
Push-ups - 4 sets, 30 reps
in total ~45 mins

Day 2 - Back and shoulders (after a day off for cardio)
Pull-ups - 4-5 sets as many as you can do
Military press - 4 sets, 10 reps
Rows - 4 sets, 10 reps
hang-cleans 4 sets, 10 reps
lateral raises - 4 sets, 12 reps
in total ~45 mins
lawn-mowers - 4 sets, 10 reps

There isn't one thing that is more important than another, you need to do it all!

lowenbrau

Explorer
IH8RDS said:
I caught a nasty virus coming back from Kuwait in 2000. Triggered my ulcerative colitis (didnt know I had it) and I dropped 40lbs in one month. Got down to 140. After about 5 years I finally got back up to 180 and it was under control. Now I sit at 185 with moderate exercise. I'm 5'10". I could stand to loose about 5 lbs.

I say go to Kuwait and catch a virus :exclaim:

I did the same thing in West Africa in the 80s. Got malaria and lost 30 lbs in five weeks. Never had the flu since (I keep telling people that its related).

I got the weight back though and was 6' and 220 in Jan. Have lost about 15 lbs since then on my way to a goal of 190 or so.

stick

Adventurer
I'm 5'10" and 150 lbs. I was down to about 142 not too long ago. I was lifting weights a lot, doing a lot of running, and watching what I was eating. More recently I stopped the weight training and pretty much ate what I wanted to. Over the winter I was up to about 155, but started training for a marathon and the 5 pounds just went away. My usual weight is 150ish. I don't really eat junk food, but I pretty much eat what I want. I'm an active person though. I run 15-25 miles per week (when not training for a marathon) and I also hike, mountain bike, and kayak on a regular basis as well. I say if you want to loose weight, just eat reasonable meals and find something active you enjoy doing. Organized sports is a great way to get in shape. Even if it's just open court night at the local gym. A nice pick-up game of b-ball is great exercise (or what ever sport you like).

toyrunner95

Explorer
i kinda have this problem with orginized sports. growing up every sport i played with my siblings and cousins was full contact. well now i cant even play soccer without getting red carded. anyway, im more of a personal goal guy anyway. today i ran a 9:35 mile. i want to get it own to 8:30. so im close. once i get it down to my target time, i will go a longer distance. ive cut out alot of carbs and am eating more protiens. fish,meats, eggs, i am also eating alot mroe fruit and veggies, a salad for dinner every night. so far it looks like i have lost about 5 pounds in 3 days. but im not sure thats accurate.

i can feel myself having more energy though. im not so tired and worn out all the time. after 2 summers of being a delivery driver and eating on the road all the time it kinda costs your health. now i see why UPS and Fedex have timed deliveries. if they took their time they would get fatter and slow down!

cjmitchell5

Adventurer
toyrunner95 said:
i said to my gf i want to look like that! she looked at me and said awww im sorry honey but you will never be 6' tall and black.

lol, she's funny.

I'm a military pilot so that involves alot of sitting around and then rushing to do stuff. Soda and snack machines are always convenient so it can be an uphill battle. Also, it's best to get good habits started young. I couldn't put on weight to save my life until I hit about 27, then my metabolism came to a screeching halt.

Weight loss:
For me the number one thing was cutting out sodas (or pop depending on your vernacular) I will still drink them on occasion but I won't keep it in my house. Being realistic water is too bland (but try to drink as much as possible, carry a refillable bottle with you and you'll be surprised how fast the bottle gets empty); most fruit juices are too tart for me and usually high in processed sugars. Sweet tea usually will keep my happy enough and away from soda (mmm, pepsi) Some will argue about the sugar content in the tea which is true, however imagine the sweetest tea you can that is so sweet it almost makes you nauseous (Bojangles Chicken sweet tea) it will still only have 1/4 to 1/3 the sugar that a soda does. Plus there are arguments of regular sugar vs processed sugars ie corn syrup as those in most sodas.

Near the end of flight school I decided to lose some weight. The first thing I did was stop drinking. (funny, I drank more in flight school than in college) Extreme I know, but depending on how often you drink (me, alot) that was a HUGE reduction in calories. I also payed more attention to carb intake which includes beer, sugars, and grains. Okay, yes you need carbs for energy, however, if your body lacks sufficient carbs it starts burning it's stores, Fat! I lost 15lbs in about a month. Then I went to SERE school for 3 weeks and lost another 15lbs, mostly water so that was gained back pretty quickly.

Workouts:
Okay, I'm a huge fan of KISS. I usually don't like lifting. You can get plenty of workout with simply body weight exercises and such. Push-ups, Sit-ups, Planks, Squats, Pull-ups. Like I said, all I do are pushups but can bench 150% of my body weight. Look at workouts advocated by places like Monkey Bar Gym (but for god sakes don't give them money to tell you how to do pushups and jump over stuff).

I'm going to post two links for two super simple workouts that can be done anywhere and will produce results.

http://www.campbell.army.mil/newinternet/UnitPages/SpecialForces/greenplatoon.htm

Here's one if you're already in decent shape. This one includes swimming if you have access to a pool. It starts out easy the first few weeks but gets tough quick.
http://www.fitnessdietcenter.com/navy-seals/

I hope this helps, use bits and pieces of what everyone tells you to find what works for you and your circumstances.

PS- It would be cool if someone could make an access or excel spreadsheet matrix to chart everyones progress on here.

nvprospector

Adventurer
toyrunner95 said:
i kinda have this problem with orginized sports. growing up every sport i played with my siblings and cousins was full contact. well now i cant even play soccer without getting red carded. anyway, im more of a personal goal guy anyway.

That is why I train mixed martial arts. Not only is it great/needed for my job it is a excellent workout and it releaves a lot of pent up frustrations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior