Differences between 12k lb and 14k lb rated FG's

kerry

Expedition Leader
I know I asked this question before and didn't get a clear answer but I'm asking again since I ran across this article from 1998 about the importation of the FG to the USA and if you add up the ratings on front and rear axles, the total amount is over 14k lbs. Why were the earlier models rated at 12k and later at 14k? Were there substantial changes made to the trucks to up the rating?

http://trailer-bodybuilders.com/archive/mitsubishi-4x4-has-heavy-front-axle

kerry

Expedition Leader
In a previous discussion of that matter Iandrez said that in one year the auto was rated 12k and the manual 14k so it seems unlikely that the lug number change was related to the change unless the manual and auto trucks that year had different numbers of lugs.

diesel1015

I have a 2001 fg639 that's rated for 12k lbs. It has the auto transmission, five lug hubs, and drum brakes.

The fg649, of the same year, is rated for 14k lbs. It has the manual transmission, six lug hubs, and disk brakes.

I believe the axle weight ratings are the same for both trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kerry

Expedition Leader
I wasn't aware any FG's had disc brakes. Thanks for adding that. So it appears the differences are in the hubs and brakes?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
As far as I know, no Australian FG models ever came with disk brakes, not even the newest ones. Be real nice if they did.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have a 2001 fg639 that's rated for 12k lbs. It has the auto transmission, five lug hubs, and drum brakes.

The fg649, of the same year, is rated for 14k lbs. It has the manual transmission, six lug hubs, and disk brakes.

I believe the axle weight ratings are the same for both trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure about the disk brakes? I'm pretty sure the FG always had drums. 2005-on do for sure.

FG Brakes

I have a South Africa spec 2015 FG6-136 and a 2017 FG6-136 and can confirm that both have drum brakes front and back.

Not sure how the SA spec models differ from the rest of the world. But I do know we do not get the face-lift model with higher top speed of 110kmph that the Australian market gets.

I have however just ordered the diff ratio conversion kit available through the dealership which will solve the slow coach problem and I will have the injectors done which will give me that little extra oomph you need in a FG!

Both conversions are accepted under manufacturers warranty over here in South Africa.

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
What's the differential conversion kit? Haven't heard about that before. My recollection is that my 99 has a 5.?? differential ratio.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Regear the Transfer Case and you will keep your low range (actually it will lower it some ) speed and gears up high range giving you better road speed.

What do I know !!!,
Dan.

Hi Kerry

Not sure about the older models that you are referring to but the late models have a diff ratio of 6.166

A gear set with a ratio of 5.125 is available from Japan through your dealer.

This will give you better tarmac cruising speed.

DzlToy

Explorer
There is a tax break and/or duty break at 12K and 14K in certain countries. I am not sure if that is the case for the States, but based on what I have seen, there are no physical differences, at least nothing substantial, such as a different rear axle or a thicker frame.

The numbers do not add up as noted and there is a decent safety margin built in as noted. Whilst I cannot advise going over the paper GVW, I have had almost 8K on the flat bed of my FE and it was fine as surface street speeds. It is not something I would do on a regular basis and not something that I would do and travel quickly. (speeds were about 35 mph).

The truck is about 7K empty, so even if you added 7k or 7500, you would be slightly over weight on paper. Tires had 80 psi in them and there was still a small gap in the middle.

In some states you can uprate or down rate a GVW without too much hassle. Mine is registered at 10K due to how tags and taxes are done in GA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger