Different Approach...

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I've always wanted to travel across the country in a sports coupe. Has anyone ever done this. I'm looking at purchasing a 2005 Lotus Elise, or a 2002 BMW M5. I'm comparing the lotus cross country trip to somewhat of a motorcycle trip. Has anyone done a strictly, on road, expedition? I figure I could still bring a tent, and some clothes, no different than a adventure bike, just touring.

Ideas?

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I thought I was the only one...

My wife and I have been discussing the same topic lately.

Our choices:
MINI Cooper
BMW Z3
Boxster
Miata
Old MG (with a big tool/spares kit)

After checking out each model my two faves are currently the MINI and the old MG.

:lurk:

Last edited:

chet

island Explorer
me and my wife delivered a Miata from PNW to Nashville for a friend and then flew home. Was a great trip! More than enough room for two backpacks although we did motel it each night as it was March! I loved the days we could drop the top and fly down some twisty sideroads.

Maddmatt

Explorer
Summer 1987 - a buddy of mine and I did a completely no-agenda Denver - San Fran - HWY 1 all the way to Vancouver - back to Denver via blue roads only trip in my '79 RX-7. This was our "fairwell to childhood, going to college next month" rite of passage. The only agenda was the pair of David Bowie tickets in our pockets, 10 days later.

Vital stats:
Days on the road - 9 or 10
Miles - over 5,000
Nights slept indoors - 2 - friends and family we dropped in on
Nights of non-stop driving, at least 3
Cost - probably about $200 each, but those were 1987 dollars, probably cost more today :)

Supplies:
Cans of Stokes green chili (with Pork!) it doesn't count if you don't say "with pork!"
Cans of spaghetti-o's.
2 sleeping bags
1 tent
probably had a cooler with some drinks, but I don't remember
Big box of cassette tapes. They were like CD's, only smaller and tended to wear out. Especially Canned Heat "going up the country.... and Sonny Terry and Brownie Mcgee - those two seemed to be the theme music for this trip.

To this day ranks as one of my favorite expeditions of all time - selected highlights:

1) Started by driving N on I25 out of Denver to "go to Canada". Within an hour we had turned around and headed for I70 to "go to California" instead.
2) Stopped at a campground on a 2 lane road that ran between I70 and Salt Lake, cooked Stokes green chili (with pork! still one of my favorites) in the can on a campfire and set up the tent. Ate the chili, got bored, took the tent down and hit the road just as the sun was setting.
3) I80 west of SLC at night. I'm not saying we were going fast, but I know for a fact that a 1st gen RX-7 will hold the needle at 125 on flat ground. For a long time. Don't do this at home. Speeding is horrible, I only did it to prove its a bad idea. etc....
4) Sun rise in Tahoe - forgot our sunglasses and had to buy some in the grocery store.
5) A/C quit in Sacramento. Car got very hot - drove in our boxer shorts until we hit the beach in San Fran. Got out, got very cold, got back in and got dressed.
6) Hwy 1 from San Fran to Vancouver. Two nights camped on the beach (even at 18 we did need to sleep eventually). Wide, sticky tires, an engine that loves to be over 5k and 5 gears to row - nothing better.
7) Can of spaghetti-o's exploding in the fire camped on the beach in Oregon, or possibly Northern CA. If you cook them in the can on an open fire, use a stick to poke an air-hole to the bottom of the can - otherwise the spaghetti-o's congeal on the top, the pressure builds up on the bottom, and then they fly all over camp.
8) Making the decision to drive back to Denver without using an interstate highway. Didn't break that rule until Hwy 9 hit I70 in Silverthorne, and by then we only had 2 hours to get to the concert anyway.

Somewhere there is a box of 35mm slides.... I can't believe it's been 21 years, thanks for the chance to relive a great trip. I need to call that guy....
-Matt

ExploringNH

Explorer
Out of those cars, the M5 will be a much more comfortable ride. The stiff suspension and rigid seats in the Lotus will wear you out much faster. Either way, it would be a fun trip and the open air ability of the Lotus may outweigh the comfort and fatigue factor. In NH, one of the common things to do is a "covered bridge tour". Typically this is done in a small sports car (very often an MG(B)). Take a week and tour the state, stopping at as many historic bridges as possible.

The post above me made me think about past road trips and how a song/album always ends up becoming a theme song for the trip and no matter how long ago that trip was, if you hear the theme music start playing, the trip starts replaying in your mind. Road trips with no agenda and several thousand miles away from home are always the most fun. :smiley_drive:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I drove coast to coast 5 times in my '93 300ZX, those were some of the best times I have had. I miss that car.

I have been looking at the E39 M5 as well. I would probably go that route even though the Lotus's are pretty amazing. M5 will be much more comfortable.

Accrete

Explorer
Back in 1976 when going to college i had a 1971 honda 600 coupe:

Route22Honda_Coupe_front_view.jpg

That summer i took off and traveled from San Francisco to the Canadian Border and back. Slept in the passenger seat fully reclined and camped/cooked out the open hatchback. What a trip. And at about 65ish mpg it was a cheap date.

: ) Thom

MattScott

Approved Vendor
ChuckB said:
I drove coast to coast 5 times in my '93 300ZX, those were some of the best times I have had. I miss that car.

I have been looking at the E39 M5 as well. I would probably go that route even though the Lotus's are pretty amazing. M5 will be much more comfortable.

It's an amazing car for the price, have you driven one yet? It just feels right.

I was looking lotus, so I could get back into racing, via autocross.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
MattScott said:
It's an amazing car for the price, have you driven one yet? It just feels right.

I was looking lotus, so I could get back into racing, via autocross.

I have not driven one yet. I took a quick test drive in a 540i a few years ago and it was very nice.

I saw a guy autocrossing an older 535 once, he had 2 passengers in the car too :rally_guys:

I think you can still AX an M5, just might not be quite as quick as the Lotus. I would like to drive one once I get back to the mainland. They have always been once of my favorite cars.

Last edited:

tibaal89

Adventurer
I did something like this in a 2003 Cadillac Deville... super comfortable inside and just enough performance out of the Northstar and suspension to really eat up the miles and have some fun driving. Went with a buddy of mine from back in highschool... some fantastic memories from that trip for sure.

Being able to cover such massive distances on the road enabled us to spend time in very diverse places for mini adventures. Did some hiking in Texas, drove in the mountains in CO, had some fun in the badlands of SD, etc...

P1010155.jpg

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Paved expeditions

Years ago I met a guy taking the summer to tour the country and camping along the way. Choice of ride Porsche 944. I looked at that, looked at the Dodge pickup we were in and thought about the roads we had traversed that day and realized that he was on to something.

The Lotus would be fun, just make sure you drive by every junior high in the small towns, you'll think that you're a rock star.

Jim

1speed

Explorer
I saw a lot of car campers this summer on my vacation. One guy in a Prius said he was averaging 45mpg. Cheap way to go but not as much fun as a sports car. I know if we wanted to do that in our Crossfire we would have to pack VERY light.

MtnMan

Observer
My wife and I drove from California to Montana last fall in her Mini Cooper S and it was great! I would take that car across the country in a heartbeat.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Alex Roy wrote a book about his "cross country" drives in an M5. It's called...

The Driver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12