differential breather extention

blatant

Adventurer
I've got an 07 tacoma and was wondering for all of you that've extended your breathers if there's anything "special" i should be aware of. It's all looking pretty straight forward when i climb under the rear and take a peek.

I haven't removed either of the front skid plates to investigate the front one, as it's only got a few thoudand on the clock and changing the oil doesn't require the skids be removed as it's the 4cyl. Is the front one already extended??

thx in advance. This is an awesome forum!!

toy_tek

Adventurer
If the 07 is anything like the older Toyotas, the front is extended about 3/4 up the engine bay on the driver side.

Wouldn't think you'd have anything special to consider regarding the rear. I extended mine up to near the fuel filler area on my 'Runner.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The front on 05+ Tacomas is extended from the factory (along with the tranny and t-case), it is the rear breather you must extend.

No magic here, just get the right size threaded fitting, a long length of fuel line, and a small hose clamp.

I routed mine up near the gas filler door inside the bedside for max altitude. Use lots of big zip ties and leave enough slack for axle articulation at full droop :ylsmoke:

blatant

Adventurer
cool, that's what i thought, i've just been lazy about checking it out as i don't have a garage and it's a zillion degrees here by the time i get out of work.

appreciate the responses

voodoochile

I did not even buy another threaded fitting for mine (2007 Taco). You can remove the check-valve's rattle cap portion easily with pliers and a bit of gentle prying under the lip with a screwdriver. The resulting nipple is easily long enough to retain a breather hose.

diff_stainless.jpg

If you should wish to revert to stock in the future, you can still buy the little check-valve breather from Toyota.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Here's the parts info if you want to buy new Toyota fittings + additional materials. These worked for my '06.

90404-51319 - Union
90930-03136 - breather vent
zip ties
two stainless steel hose clamps
5' of 3/8 fuel line

tacomaharry

I extended my rear axle vent up behind my left rear tail light. To the top of the inside of the fender.

The front are just above the frame on the driver side engine compartment. I extended mine up behind my brake master cylinder. I traced the two front vent tubes to the front axle.

I couldn't find any for my 5-spd trans or the transfer case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior