Digital Maps

JohnW33

I live in the UK, but am visiting BC, Canada in July. I am travelling from Calgary through the Rockies to Vancouver.

I can obtain free maps from http://geogratis.gc.ca/, however they are not referenced.

I want to use oziexplorer software on a netbook. From the oziexplorer demo I have to obtain the coordinates of four points on a map to be able to reference it.

I am going to have to paste a large number of maps together. Has anyone had experience with these maps or similar. What is the best way to get all the coordinates together to reference these maps.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

nvprospector

Adventurer
I am going to assume that you will be using the data from the Toporama interface.

Zoom into the area that you want data for then click “Search available datasets”. On the next screen just click “Submit” located at that bottom of the page. In the next screen is a list of the files that will be downloaded. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and make sure the format is GeoTiff and set the Projection to Geographic (Lat/Long) then click “Download”. On the Download page you will need to download the individual files one at a time. When on your computer unpack all the files in the zip file to a directory.

To bring the files into Ozi, select File->Import Map->All DRG Maps on a CD or in a Folder. Set the location of the images you downloaded, then set where you will like the map file to be stored. Before pressing Import make sure “Use Geotiff if available” is checked. Now press Import. The next screen set the Map Datum to WGS94 and the Map Projection to Lat/Lon then press OK. Ozi will make a Map file for each of the images.

When finished importing the maps, download Map Merge from Oziexplorer website. This program will merge all the images into a single map file. Just follow the directions and you will be fine.

Hope this helps
Tim

JohnW33

Hi Tim and anyone else out there.

Have run into a problem. I have downloaded some of the maps., using the same procedure you described. At the moment, I have got the trial version of oziexplorer which I believe has almost all of the functionality of the full version. However when I try to import the files its states that it cannot fing the georeferencing data. Have tried importing all the maps and tried just selecting one, but neither seems to work.

Any ideas.

John

nvprospector

Adventurer
How many files are in the zip file? When I download and unzip the files I end up with 5 files from each zip file. All of these unziped files need to be in the same directory.

Now if you are using the Shareware/Demo version there are limitations.
But it does allow full communication with the GPS for upload/download and moving map
Only allows maps in BMP image format to be loaded
Only loads maps in WGS84 datum

The trial version also has some limitations
No communication with the GPS for upload/download
No saving or loading of Waypoints, Events, Tracks etc
No saving of map as an image file
Will close down after 1 hour of running (must be restarted)

If running the trail version one of the things you can't do is save map files. In the shareware version you can only view bitmaps. This is most likely the reason you are having trouble.

JohnW33

Tim

Thanks for the suggestions,but I don' think there getting me anywhere. I have 5 files for each map. I did notice that the shareware version would only import BMP files and therefore I have been trying the 'trial' version. As far as I was aware there were no limitations to the files you could import on this version.

This is a bit of a shame as I wanted to try the software with the Canadian maps before I purchased it.

nvprospector

Adventurer
Send me a PM with the area you are going and your email address, I will create them for you if you like. I already have most of Canada's Toporama in Ozi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger