Digital Photo Padding

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I've noted that some folks on this board pad their picture postings. This is adding an artificial black or white border or alternating (even drop shadow) border around their digital photographs.

Do people do this to `frame' the picture better for the web? Do they do it to call more attention to the edge detail?

Do you prefer this method of picture presentation or the real non-padded/edge-to-edge photograph?

articulate

Expedition Leader
Perhaps I should confess here? I'm "guilty" of putting a frame around my digital photos.

Simply put, it's just like putting a printed photo in a frame for your wall. It sets it apart from the wall, draws the viewer's eyes (or it should) into the work at hand. It's easy to go overboard with digital frames and undo the very thing you're trying to accomplish.

What do you think? Do you like these pads, as you call it? Since we're talking, I'm curious about your opinion now.

Later,
Mark

Pskhaat

Mark, I'm actually on the fence on this. I ask because I'm making a web site that could quite easily automatically add padding to uploaded images. You take great photos and I think the padding (the software image process name to add the frame) adds a touch of professionalism to them.

However, there are some that may disagree. The dropshadow is very Apple'sque and both the frame and shadow may add a little too much flair for some people's taste?

OSflaircralt.jpg

articulate

Expedition Leader
:xxrotflma

This is the perfect time for you to use the "Jump to Conclusions" mat to find your answer.
ngbbs3c48f1755fcfb.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The software I use to maintain our website allows me to stick a frame or drop shadow on the photos. So I tried them and found that I like the black frame, it's subtle but makes the photo stand out a little. I thought the shadow was too much, but on Mark's website I think it works. Stuff like this needs to be done in moderation, it can get out of hand and look tacky.

office_space.jpg

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
adding a frame is also an easy (if not very complete) way to discourage people from ripping off your photos. Certainly there are better methods out there (such as watermarking and the like) but I personally have always loathed the idea of adding my name or website to my digital photography.

(no office space references - i'm late for work)

Pskhaat

I have software to automate it but I'm a Unix geek...I could do a batch padding for you if needed...or I'll make a site to automatically add them...

articulate

Expedition Leader
In case you didn't get the memo, you must post a random photo from Office Space if you wish to submit to this thread.

Take you out back and beat the crap outta you . . .
officeSpacePrinter.jpg

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
articulate said:
Via File>Automate>Batch or something like that?

I have PS CS2 and have been trying to figure this out. Photoshop CS has premade actions in the program I have found, just go to the actions palette, hit the arrow on the upper right of the window, and there should be "frames" in the drop down box, click it, click the arrow to show all the actions, and pick the one that sounds good. I think they are customizable and then I need to figure out how to make them automated with the batch.

pwc

Explorer
"I don't know. I guess. Listen, I'm gonna go. It's been really nice
talking to be of you guys."

office-space-07.jpg

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Can we get some examples? Can you do this with a cheezy program like microsoft picture editor (or whatever the free one that comes on the computer is) or canon's zoombrowser software, OR some free one we can get on the In Ter Net!

articulate

Expedition Leader
LOL! What memories:
"What would you do if you had a million dollars?"

"I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same time, man."

"That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?"

"Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes with money."

"Well, not all chicks."

"Well, the type of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do. "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior