Digital photography & memory cards

targa88

Explorer
Looking to upgrade to a DSLR. I have read numerous threads/debates on the merits of Nikon vs Canon, etc.
Older models and pro models which appear sturdier (more "metal") vs newer models with more features.

Particular area of information is CF cards vs SD Cards. It would appear that newer tech is supporting the SD SDHC format more than CF.
So both in terms of speed and capacity SD seems to be the way to go?

spressomon

Expedition Leader
FYI: After owning several Nikon 35mm cameras (F4, FM, FM2) I finally, last December, took the plunge and bought the Nikon D300 (my first DSLR). I took it to South Africa on a photo safari in March and use it on our off-road forays. It's been covered in dust (Nevada and SA!) and rained on. The weather seals are performing as advertised and to my expectations. And the noise, or more appropriately lack of, even at high ISO settings is impressive.

Love the camera...would do it again without question. I run 305X 8Gb cards (CF).

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I think the more consumer-oriented bodies are using SD and the pro bodies are still using CF.

I think you'll want to consider how much photography you plan to do and what types of images you want to capture. Then let those parameters dictate what features you need in a camera.

In the long run, you'll probably end up owning some SD cards for some devices (MP3 player, point & shoot camera, GPS) and some CF cards for others. Memory is cheap these days, so don't let that be the deciding factor when choosing a camera.

A quick run of the Nikon bodies:

D2 series: CF
D3: CF
D200/D300: CF
D70: CF
D80: SD
D60 & D40: SD

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
It doesn't matter. SD is superior to CF in many ways, but it shouldn't be a deciding factor in your choices. On thing to consider as we get into higher card capacities is you can no longer find (to the best of my knowledge) a firewire SD card reader, only CF.

Travelmore

Adventurer
CF used to be available at faster rates than SD. SDHC 133x is what to look for if you want a fast high capacity SD card.

Photog

Explorer
I would definitely not let memory card type be a deal breaker.

The Nikon D200, 300, and Pro cameras all use the CF cards, sometimes 2 CF cards.

The Canon Pro 1D MkII & III cameras have 2 slots, one for SD & one for CF.

Personally, I like the CF cards because they are larger, and easier for me to grasp, not because they perform better in any way.

targa88

Explorer
The DSLR will be mainly used for travel/landscape/panoramic pix - virtually all pix will remain in digital format (very rarely if at all to be printed).
From my perspective (back 20 years ago - when I earned a living taking pix) - the body are interchangeable- it is the quality of the lens that is most important.
The CF format (memory cards) are harder to find than the SD at this juncture.
I am certainly not in a race for technology (impossible to win any way).
Just looking for reasonable access to components and a certain degree of versatility (otherwise I would stick with the P&S format)....

Photog

Explorer
Since the current crop of professional cameras are using CF cards, I don't think there will be any problems finding them. You may not be able to pick them up at a gas station; but you can't get the batteries there either.

You are right about the bodies coming & going, and the glass continuing on. Nikon & Canon have great glass, just pick the body that fits your hand, and is intuative for you to use. Nikon currently has a great crop of cameras, in the midsize (D200 & D300). At the Pro level, they both have excellent gear (D3, 1Ds Mk III).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998