Dilemma: 100 vs. 78

Fillefloe

Hi,
I have a dilemma with my two beloved Landcruisers.

I’ve had my 100 series for about five years, and I’ve traveled all over Europe, Turkey, Balkan many times already. Tons of money has been spent on restoring, parts, gear, and I would turn the key and drive to South Africa from Sweden tomorrow without any hesitation or fear of breakdowns.

My troopy I’ve had for about 1,5 years and I’ve been slowly restoring it. And there is a lot of work/money still before I’d take it for a good trip.
I do have a second hand roof conversion laying that has to be installed, by myself. The troopy is basically completely stock.

So, why is this a dilemma. They are both great cars for travel, but not at all equal in any way.

First of. Manual gearbox.

I have a prosthetic leg, left one, which makes it hard (but not impossible) to drive in crowded city’s. On the open road, on soft trails(light Offroad) no problems.

Second,
We are having a baby in October. Which means a third seat in the troopy.

Third,
I need to work while on trips, and I could never find a good comfortable solution to work inside the 100 for more then 20mins. (I’m a big guy)

In a troopy the third seat could be utilised to sit and work as well.

Fourth,
We just bought a house. In other words the money will be tighter for a while.

So with this information you might start to see my dilemma, which car should I continue to build on.

100-series,

Cut the car behind C-pillar or between B-C, with smaller door for entry in the back, extend frame by about 300-500mm. Then build a living space like the 200 series Maltec.

This would be quite a build, I understand. But it would solve all of above problems.

Living space, place to work, 3-4 seats, automatic gearbox, comfy to drive, not too big for most trails.

Has ABS, much better in snow/Ice. (Yes I’ve tried)

78-series,

Restore, put auto box (which will be sluggish behind a 1HZ) so I’d put a 1HD-FTE instead.

Do roof conversion, interior fit out, all the suspension, etc. (“expedition ready”).

Put third seat, do all the legal stuff to get it road legal with auto and third seat.

I’d take everything I need from my 100 series, engine, gearbox. I’d modify the Bullbar, rock sliders, tirecarries, maybe even modify the shocks etc to fit the troopy. In other words I have a lot of the stuff already for the troopy, but again lots of work.

I’m afraid that after building the troopy it will be too small for two adults and a baby. And by building the 100, I’m guesstimating I’d get ~1 square meter more of space at least.

We are planning to overland all over the world.

Any input would be helpful,

Thanks

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Not sure what to do but I don’t like either option- both will end up costing more than you budget for. Perhaps sell both and use 75% of the money for something turnkey.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If it’s got to be one of those two, Troopy 100%. I love my 100, but you will never match the space of the 78 no matter what you do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior