Dilemma deciding what to get

LemonLite

No one is selling 70s for the asking prices.

The shine isn't what it was. Negotiate, but i say, get a 60 if you want leafs. 80s and 100s are better suvs.

Zimm, the 100 series that I'm looking at is an 02 with 125K on the odometer. The dealership has it listed at $14,988. Now I know Kelly Blue Book isn't the know all be all but under private selling and listing it as "Very Good Condition" the selling price is $10,379. Based off of the link and only being able to see pictures, what is a rough offer you'd start with? My knowledge in Land Cruiser's isn't as extensive as it is with FJC's and Taco's. I know that the dealership needs to make money off the sale, but more money saved is more money for mods. I was thinking low 12's high 11's, but nothing more than 13K...Here's the link: http://www.thoroughbredmotors.com/6336090/Photos/Details.aspx

LemonLite

Also I think it's worth noting that the CarFax shows it being originally purchased in SC, sold in AZ, and then finally making it's way to Oklahoma City. Hopefully that means little to no rust. It only had two owners and everything checks out in terms of routine maintenance and oil changes. Fingers crossed.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Zimm, the 100 series that I'm looking at is an 02 with 125K on the odometer. The dealership has it listed at $14,988. Now I know Kelly Blue Book isn't the know all be all but under private selling and listing it as "Very Good Condition" the selling price is $10,379. Based off of the link and only being able to see pictures, what is a rough offer you'd start with? My knowledge in Land Cruiser's isn't as extensive as it is with FJC's and Taco's. I know that the dealership needs to make money off the sale, but more money saved is more money for mods. I was thinking low 12's high 11's, but nothing more than 13K...Here's the link: http://www.thoroughbredmotors.com/6336090/Photos/Details.aspx

That is a good looking Cruiser. Ya can't see much but what you can see looks to be not much rust on the chassis. If you could get that for low $12's I would look hard at it. Here is suggestion, have the truck inspected by a Toyota dealership in the area. It will cost ya $100-200 per inspection but can save you big time in the long run. I did this when I was buying my Tacoma and passed on a couple because of it. They were in SoCal but had come from the east, the 3rd party inspection let me know the chassis was rusty so I passed. Another suggestion, when you search be it craigslist, ebay, buycars, autotrader or whatever search just specific states like California, Arizona, Nevada, Texas and so forth. If you really want a rust free truck this is how you get it and of course the carfax like you are doing already. Don't be afraid to buy sight unseen, I have done this many times. But be smart about it, get the 3rd party inspection. Don't be afraid to jump on a plane and get what you are after, if you limit yourself you won't end up with as good of a truck as you could find.

Seems you are looking at both 80's and 100's. I think you should pick one or the other. They are a lot different, the 80 is slower but more capable and easier plus cheaper to buildup. The 100 is much more comfy and has tons more power but will never be as capable offroad as a built up 80. I have had both now and both are great trucks but the 100 for long roads trips is hard to beat. For bashing through the woods I would go the 80 any day.

Cheers

jhawk

Adventurer

I paid a little over 18 for my one owner 04 with 113,000 in Nov. KBB is irrelevant when it comes to these trucks. Guys travel across the country for a good one, because there were less than 7,000 sold per year during this period.

A good one will cost you, and be gone quick if you don't jump on it. Heck this truck may already be gone.

Jim

LemonLite

Heading to Texas on Saturday to hopefully pick up this 97 LC. Got 1K knocked off the original asking price of 13,998 (Well 13 flat). Anyone here from Texas or know anything about inventory tax? The guy said the only additional fee will be a .03% inventory tax. Not quite sure what that means how much it will affect the agreed upon price.

LemonLite

I paid a little over 18 for my one owner 04 with 113,000 in Nov. KBB is irrelevant when it comes to these trucks. Guys travel across the country for a good one, because there were less than 7,000 sold per year during this period.

A good one will cost you, and be gone quick if you don't jump on it. Heck this truck may already be gone.

Jim

I try not to factor in aftermarket parts when making a purchase from a dealership, especially if I know they weren't the ones who put the money into it. But you're absolutely right and I have finally figured out that it doesn't matter what mods have been, or haven't been done to it, they're going to get the resale value. It has been a hell of a ride trying to explain to my wife how an LC thats 15+ years old can sell for 10-20K and have over 100,000 on the odometer.

Had I won the powerball I'd have multiple build threads in each section of this forum. lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman