Dilemma : Keep Modded XJ or Get JK Rubicon

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Unless you're buying new and you can truly afford it, stick with the XJ since it is a known quantity that you fully understand. It isn't at all uncommon for JKs and JKUs in the PNW to be built and wrapped, mercilessly flogged for a year or two, and returned to stock to be sold to an unsuspecting buyer. I imagine the same holds true in other parts of the country. An intimate knowledge of your vehicle and its history is priceless particularly if you intend on leaving pavement with it. You know what sounds and feelings are cause for concern and what to ignore or get around to... someday. You can do your own math, but I'd ditch the Cruze if you buy a new JKU. The additional money spent on fueling a JKU will be less than insuring, registering, and maintaining two vehicles.

As a builder/tinkerer, I think you'd be wasting your money buying a sticker package unless you need the Rubicon transfer case for rock crawling. The resale value delta of a Rubi and Sport is laughable after 100k miles (especially if you actually used it). I went the route of building a '12 Sport from new and have no regrets. I don't care how much I could sell it for and how much money will have been pissed away on aftermarket parts; I built it for me to enjoy as my DD and adventuremobile for which it has worked out perfectly. Something about Wranglers beckons you to build them up. One caveat, if you are like quite a few others here on ExPo who can buy a JKU and for the most part keep it the way you bought it, then maybe a Rubi is the vehicle for you.

I've had new cars I've loathed and older ones that I loved so much I didn't mind fixing them routinely. No matter what, make sure whatever you choose to do makes you smile when you see it and while behind the wheel.

HercDriver

Adventurer
Thanks to all who have replied! I'm pretty sure I'm leaning toward a Rubicon. I will sell the XJ and probably trade in the Cruze and just daily the JK. I drove a JK sport 2 door as a rental in Hawaii and being able to cruise the roads by the ocean with the top down probably sealed the deal.

baronvonworms

If you're truly using it for overland stuff, then why the Rubi? the lockers and such are only good for 4L crawling. Go for a sport with the 3.73 Lmtd slip differential and save the $ for other mods. If you're looking to go crawling right out of the box, then go Rubi.

Island Boy

I have had both, and loved my '94 XJ. But I'll tell you, my JKU's are the best jeeps I've ever owned - and I've had a YJ, XJ, TJ, JKU ('07), WK2 hemi 4x4, and now a JKU ('16). The JKU's were always sport or sport S models.

For the $10k difference, you can make a JKU perform like or beyond a JKUR for pennies on the dollar. I have upgraded my sport S to Red Rubicon shocks and 19/60 coil springs, for about $150. CraigsList and Jeep clubs/forsale forums are your friend. If I put in lockers, I'd have near Rubi funcationality. I have never needed them, for the wheeling I do, Jeeps 'BLD' works fine for me.

About the only thing that's $$ is an electronic diff disconnect, which is like $1700. I'm too cheap, I'll just put in a quick disconnect kit - in fact, that's next on my list.

But for all around driveability, practicality, etc., I'd buy the JKU. But I'd keep the XJ if I could... and buy the JKU. :p

Here's my JKU, btw! 2.5" lift, shocks, springs, spacers, and tires (35"s) for <$1500!!

IMG_9378.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger