Dirty Toy School

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I enjoyed the privilege of attending the Dirty Toy School with my 4Runner owning friend Chris last weekend. It was held in Borrego Springs, and we visited San Felipe Wash and Coyote Canyon. The training was excellent and covered map & compass reading, basic recovery techniques and equipment. Safe use of the Hi-Lift, a great demonstration/tutorial on the mechanics of the 4x4 driveline, tire patching, and then the field training! In the field, we worked on spotting, terrain reading, reverse pirouettes (with lockers), descents, sand driving, and one of the more fun challenges, spotting a driver up a nice little rock strewn hill...in reverse!

436921968_Uhuou-XL.jpg

436922795_Vj7NJ-XL.jpg

436923648_kqZqv-XL.jpg

I posted my photos here, but there are some much better shots (taken by a professional, here and here. Note, this second link shows a forward rollover in a pristine FJ40 in stop motion photo sequence.... let me be clear, this was not a recommended or encouraged part of the trail! I wasn't with the group that took this route, so I don't quite know the whole story, but for sure on Day 1 when our group was in this area, we completely skirted it. I remember driving by it and seeing some faint tracks on that bank, thinking "Man that's nuts!". Seems I was right :)

s_DSC_3664.JPG

Last edited:

Willman

The Schools looks great...but the roll over sucks!...sorry it happened!

Last edited:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
nwoods said:
Yes, that's from the same trip.

I can't wait to attend one of these myself.

Of course I'll need a TOY 4x first, I'll have to work on that...:ylsmoke:

cid 96

Observer
Dts

I did one of these on the east coast. Looks like you guys got to do some pretty fun trails. That was my only complaint about the "school" that I attended, the trails were lame and not very challenging. With that said, all the other instruction and classroom time were great.

Sid

Attachments

• 2774658837_48273577ca.jpg
    2774658837_48273577ca.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 74
  • dirtytoyschool.jpg
    dirtytoyschool.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 35

laxtoy

Adventurer
oh, i so wanted to attend (i need some wheelin edumacation)! there was talk about this on ttora 6 months ago, and i knew i there was no way i could swing it in december and make my annual migration to borrego in february, looked like fun

shawkins

Adventurer
laxtoy said:
oh, i so wanted to attend (i need some wheelin edumacation)! there was talk about this on ttora 6 months ago, and i knew i there was no way i could swing it in december and make my annual migration to borrego in february, looked like fun
Bill Burke did one of his classes at the Tillamook State Forest a while ago, I've been meaning to e-mail him and see if he plans on coming back up here again. Would be a lot closer for us PNW folks.

laxtoy

Adventurer
that'd be nice, considering i don't do a lot of sand driving, be nicer to get more learn-ed in my own element ;)

nwoods

Expedition Leader
mrstang01 said:
Not that I saw, hence why I asked.

Oh I see. My last time looking through the site they had the registration page up with the prices. Since they completed the 2008 calendar, they took down the registration page, thus no prices.

It was my friend who paid for the course, so I'm not 100% sure, but I think the cost was around $400 for both days, including 2 meals (I think?). There was a substantial room discount at Borrego Springs Resort also. I think having a guest (such as myself) along with was an added fee, but I don't think it was very much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan